idea about running tops

I went into Hargreaves Sports shop at Gatwick N terminal this morning and bought an Oakley rash vest.. the sort which are used by surfers abroad, or to stop adults burning in the sun.

I got it for 17 quid, and thought that it would make a good running top. Its tight fitting, made of nylon and spandex (so being synthetic will obviously be breathable, wicking etc right?), has short sleeves and a comfortable polo neck.

I think its the bees knees.

what do you reckon?

Comments

• sounds similar to the Decathlon Tribord kit...............is supposed to be good for winter running as they are more thermal I believe............I think the biggest problem maybe wicking the sweat away as these vests are designed for use in water..........they could be uncomfy when very wet with sweat as they probably don't dry quick enough..........
  • I've got some Nike tops and to be honest, they've never failed me. They wick, the protect from the sun (didn't get burnt whilst wearing in Spain for weeks, anyway!) and they keep you remarkably cool.

The most recent one I've got is a 'Sphere' top. Nice meshy bits at the side!
  • I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know, but thanks for the comments.
  • The problem with teh nike tops is

a) I'm told they are made in sweatshops
    b) they highlight my man boobs. particularly the clingy grey and red top

I've got a couple
  • Of tops or manboobs gumps ?
  • My latest one was made in Cambodia.
  • Guys. The textile industry is in Asia now, we've just got to face it. European or US made tops would be twice the price.

The Oakley rash vest is made in Thailand. Great quality. And if it keeps me warm, and I dont sweat too much in it, then at 17 quid its a bargain and I'll buy more.

... but it is clinging, so will show man boobs.
  • rash vests are different to running vests guys.........they are close fitting turtle necked, half sleeved things that are smooth and very close fitting............surf dude kit...............usually for either wearing on their own or under a wetsuit............
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Hate to say it but I think you'll find lycra (spandex) rash vests will be a bit hopeless for running. They definitely do not dry quickly and once wet act like a windchill device.
  • FB, check out the title of the thread. Kinda refers to running tops!
  • yeh - it's an idea - but the post refers to a rash top which isn't a running top.............learn to read ya bozo ;O))

I agree with Chaos btw - although I know a few people did Toughguy in rash vests as they are designed for wet use and could offer more thermal protection in the cold water...........
  • I was merely offering my recommendation, Farty-plops!
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    ah - we get complicated now FB. there are also thermal rash vests which aren't just lycra.

dave0520 - Tchibo or ALDI are the places to go for bargain running tops that still wick properly.
  • Wasn't my intention to cause argument or confusion.

My idea was to use the surfing rash vest as a running top. Seemed like a good idea this morning, but its gone down like a lead balloon with you lot.

It may be not one of my best ideas, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow to prove or disprove suitability for purpose (running top).

Lycra/spandex is used in other running gear, so that doesnt discount it as a suitable material for a running top.

Nylon is as wicking and breathable as any other synthetic eg. polyester or polypropylene (ie. Viloft/Ron Hill or Lifa Versa/Helly Hansen respectively).

So the idea still holds water.

The fabric will hold water as readily as any other synthetic, so it wont be any more or less breathable than anything else.

I also cant imagine Oakley selling a rash vest which causes or accelerates windchill, otherwise you'd have surfers dropping dead on the ocean with hypothermia.

Hence the theory still holds water in my eyes.

...anyway I'll give it a shot tomorrow and report back.

and if it works well, I've got copyright on the idea OK?
  • no argument or confusion Dave - just the numpties on here who had no idea what a rash vest was and started wibbling on about normal running tops...........think they have been put right now..........

in essence Chaose and me don't think they will make great running tops as they are designed for a different purpose - but as I have never tried running in one that it is purely an assumption.........

let us know how you get on............
  • Will do.

I like to think I'm the creative sort. Have to put my PhD to some use.

If it works, I'll buy shares in a rash vest producer.

If it fails, I've still got a rash vest for surfing, which we do here on the Isle of Man, even in winter.
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Good man (re: the surfing that is)

Off to Tiree myself in a few weeks so fingers crossed for some low pressure systems. Can't be too far from the Isle of Man?
  • Tight fit?
    nope
    baggy wiking stuff for my humungous bod
  • I am the dad of the surfer. My 7 year old is into it in a big way. I generally hang around in the sea and make sure he's not swept to his death.

The last time I surfed at Huntington Beach, CA at Easter, I made a knob of myself.

Went out for 1.5 hours this morning along the coast amid a blustery Easterly gale.

The rash vest was great. I felt that it kept me warmer than your standard technical running top, and maybe I sweated a bit more as a result.

I felt that it was breathable, though because of its tightness on the body, less so perhaps than a looser fitting top.

On returning home, the rash vest was no more wet with sweat than any of my other standard running tops from Asics, Ron Hill etc.

I think therefore that the experiment was a success. I'd recommend wearing a rash vest as a base layer in winter, or as a single layer during autumn or spring.

I'm sold on the idea now. Rash vests are cheap at the moment because summer is over and sports shops want to get rid of their stock. So I will be buying a few more.
  • good feedback there Dave........

• One of these

You really need the body for it though...
  • think they are called rash vests as they are designed to be tight against the body to stop sand getting in when surfing without a wetsuit thus preventing abrasion rashes......or to stop the wetsuit if worn over it doing the same thing........