Peeing pressure research

About four years ago I had treatment for prostate cancer but before that one of my symptoms was that I had to pee frequently and the flow of urine was very weak.

I was prescribed tamsulosin which I believe is some sort of adreno-blocker which helps relax the muscles which enable you use to retain urine when you do not wish to pee. I am still taking these tablets daily as even with them I still suffer from a very weak flow of urine most of the time.

However I have noticed that after race or a very hard workout in the gym I often pee with a considerably improved flow. I mentioned this to my urologist who seemed mildly interested.

I wondered if this phenomenon was one which only affected me or whether it was common to a lot of other runners.

If a lot of runners have observed it, it could indicate a useful line of investigation for the medical professin to pursue to provide a more effective treatment to improve peeing performance.

I am also interested in whether tamsulosin and other drugs like this affect running performance as the name suggests that they may affect the production of adrenaline.

I have tried not taking it for a day or two to see if I run any quicker but haven't noticed any difference before having to resume taking it.

Any comments from anyone else on this subject would be very interesting to me.

Anyone who would like to anonymously register that they have had similar experience to me can email me direct.

If there is sufficient interest I will try to get the matter looked into more seriously. I will not pass on anyone's details without consulting them first.

BO

Comments