Sponsorship thread

We don't allow individual 'sponsor me' threads, but as an experiment, here's a thread where you can make a one-post pitch for sponsorship from your fellow RW website readers, if you're running for charity.

It needn't be for the London Marathon: this is just a handy folder for it.

Two rules:

1. One post only per sponsor-hunter. No boings, thank yous, reminders, afterthoughts, or all your posts get deleted.

2. Potential sponsors: Please don't start conversations on this thread - it's intended to be a kind of directory.

Sponsor-hunters: you might want to tick 'email enabled' above your forum message box when you post your thread, so people can ask you questions. And/or set up a Justgiving page where people can sponsor you and you can post updates.

So, who's first...

Sean, RW

Comments

• Me

I'll be running FLM in aid of Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology. It's where I had my treatment and it's where Mrs Fat Face was treated. I'll be dedicating my run (on my race number - if and when I get it) to her memory (and yes, Mr Fat Face has agreed).

So.. email me. Hopefully I will talk Clatterbridge into setting up a JustGiving account to make life easier.

Thanks Sean! Great idea.
  • Im running for "Tommy's- the baby charity" in april for the FLM 06.. you can read all about me and my first marathon attempt here... www.justgiving.com/clairelouise

Fingers crossed Ill reach my target and raise loads of money for this fantastic cause! :)
  • Dear All,

I won't be running for charity at all this year so please don't offer to sponsor me. If you could just send me your spare money instead I'd be really grateful, I shall use it to ensure that those fine brewers of Stella Artois are kept away from the dole queue. Rest assured that your money won't be wasted by me, for every £1 that you give £1 will be spent in the Tredegar Arms.

Thanks muchly,

DB.

Donations to www.justdrinking.com/Dragonbreath
  • This is going quite well, don't you think?
  • I run for Antara, a psychiatric hospital in Kolkata (Calcutta), India.
    Antara provides free or subsidised psychiatric and general healthcare to the poorest in and around Kolkata. This is desperately needed as there is very little state provision, and private clinics are not accessible to most of the population. Some in need of psychiatric care are even imprisioned without charge as 'non-criminal lunatics' - Antara helps to treat these and other patients who otherwise would not recieve badly-needed help.

Friends of Antara UK is a UK-based support organisation for Antara. It was founded by returning volunteers, and is 100% volunteer-run, mainly by young people in Yorkshire (I'm a trustee). We have existed for about 3 years, and are applying for registration under the Charity Commision.
    Friends of Antara UK have raised funds so far for a new tube-well, new mattresses, a wash-house for female patients, and most recently a new inpatient Children's Ward (the only one accessible to most of the population of West Bengal - c. 2 million people).
    We are currently raising funds for a children's Outpatient Department, and to help extend the free treatment offered by children's services. The need for both is amply demonstrated by the numbers coming to Antara's current outpatient clinics.

We don't have a just-giving account as it isn't cost-effective for a small charity (we also don't buy Golden Bond places, so all your donation will go to help those in India who need it most).

Cheques can be made payable to 'Friends of Antara UK' and sent to:

Antara,
    26 Settrington,
    Malton,
    N. Yorkshire,
    YO17 8NP.

Thank you very much.
  • I am competing in 4 marathons in a month.

The details are as follows

Chicago Marathon 09th October
    Amsterdam Marathon 16th October
    Dublin Marathon 31st October
    New York 06th November.

All funds raise go to Cystic Fibrosis Research.

Should you wish to sponsor me please email me and I will give you my details.

Regards

Gerard Fay
  • Ran my first Great North Run on the 18 September, but my 24th half did this for Phab, disabled childrens charity - anyone who would like to sponsor me then this would be superb at:

http://www.justgiving.com/martingnr2005

All the best and cheers
  • On October 30th I will be plodding my way around the NT Snowdonia Marathon to raise money for Thorpe Hall Hospice.

I am a staff nurse at Thorpe Hall and so I am very aware of how important it is for Thorpe Hall to be able to continue giving vital pain and symptom control, respite and terminal care to those in need in the Peterborough area.

I would really appreciate your support so please sponsor me by visiting my web site :

www.justgiving.com/maggiehorne

• Please help my dad raise money for the NSPCC.

My dad told me about the NSPCC. And how they help to stop people being cruel to children. You know, every week a child gets killed by their mum or dad!

So when my dad said he wanted to run the marathon in New York in November. I asked him if he would help the NSPCC.

Could you give £20 to help protect children?

Thank you very much

Louisa (6)

xxx

PS All you have to do is go to www.justgiving.com/dpatrick Everything you give will go to the NSPCC. Thank you.
  • I'm running the NY Marathon, it’s my first marathon and I've only been running a year. I had a mid-life crisis, so after 40 years of sedentary life style took up running and I'm loving it, its made a massive change to my life. I’m running for Breast Cancer Care with the ‘Team Highland Spring Water’ and would love it if you could sponsor me.

http://www.justgiving.com/alexbagenal

Thank you very much for your support.

Regards Alex
  • The Loch Ness Marathon will be my 61st marathon in my 60th year and I am running it for the Stroke Association. In 1992 I suffered a brain haemorrhage. Following balloon embolisation in 1993 I recovered completely. With medical approval I started to run and ran my first marathon in 1996. The most wonderful experience on 10 September this year was running the World Masters Mountainrunning Championships in Keswick in the W60 age group where I came in 10th.

Anyone who would like to sponsor me can contact http://www.justgiving.com/lyneden
  • I am running the Flora London Marathon 2006 in aid of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF).
    I have had Juvenile or Type 1 diabetes for the last 3 years meaning daily blood tests and a minimum of 4 insulin injections a day. In terms of running, it complicates matters in that you have to constantly be aware of your blood sugar levels and manage them effectively.
    JDRF carry out valuable research to attempt to discover the cause of Juvenile diabetes, which is as yet unknown, and ultimately to find a cure.
    If anybody would be willing to sponsor me, any amount, it would be massively appreciated - please see my webpage:

http://www.bmycharity.com/shearing

Thank you
  • HI Im running the New York Marathon 2005 in aid of KIDS, its a small charity that aims at enabling disabled children to lead a full life by reaching their full potential. This will probably be my one and only marathon, although I fear the running bug may have bitten. My sponsorship form can be found on http://www.justgiving.com/des4kids

Thanks for your suppport.

Des
  • I'll be running the New York City Marathon on Sunday 6th November and will be raising money for the most worthwhile cause The Dreams Come True Children's Charity.

Dreams Come True help to fulfil the most treasured hopes and dreams of seriously and terminally ill children.

Any support you fellow runners can give me will be much appreciated, online donations can be made at www.justgiving.com/sean2005

Many thanks
  • Hi, I'm running the New York Marathon on November 6th this year in memory of my Grandad, and to say thank-you to the Macmillan Nurses who gave my family massive support during Grandad's hardest weeks.

I'll be running for Macmillan Cancer Relief and I'm so nervous! I've got my training half marathon this weekend in Windsor though, so I'm half-way there!

Please see www.justgiving.com/forgrandad if only to laugh at my photo from the charity Doctor's and Nurses party I hosted as part of my fundraising! :o) Many thanks and good luck to everyone else on this thread! x
  • Hi everyone.

I've just been accepted for 2006 FLM. It'll be my first. I've done 5 half marathons and it's time to move up. I'll be 40 next June and want to do a marathon before I reach the landmark.

I'm running for NSPCC. I've been an official supporter for over 10 years. I'm using my 40th year to raise funds for a worthy cause. I was at University with a friend who had been abused as a child. I saw the effects that can have on someones life.

Please help me make a difference. Cruelty must stop. FULL STOP.

www.justgiving.com/nickscott

Please give generously.

• MACMILLAN CANCER RELIEF

In April 2006 next year I will be running the 150 mile Marathon des Sables in Morocco to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Relief, a cause that has greatly affected four members of my close family. To help spread the word we have also cycled from Lands End to John O Groats and back (1800 miles) in 5 and a half days, having been on the road 24 hours a day, and are due to run several other marathons in the near future.

Check out our website at www.justgiving.com/lovell-sahara and pass on the story.

Huge thanks to everyone,

Ross
  • I am running in the FLM to raise money for Scope, the cerebral palsy charity (my son is a sufferer). Any offers of sponsorship would be gratefully welcomed. More details may be found on the following website, www.lifeofriley.biz.

Many thanks, Lee
  • Calling all Adam Ant fans everywhere, support a fellow Ant!

I am running the following three races for ChildLine Uk:
    09Oct05: The Great South Run
    16Oct05: The Abingdon Marathon
    23Oct05: The SAAB Solomon Hellrunner

If you feel that you would like to sponsor me for the complete trio of races the please link to my justgiving web page:
    http://www.justgiving.com/standanddeliver

ChildLine is the UK's free 24-hour helpline for children and young people in danger and distress.
    Many thanks for your help Chris (Dunantin).
  • Hi All,

I am participating in my first marathon on behalf of Yorshire Cancer Research in November in the New York Marathon, due to a firends loss late last year.

I have found combining both training and obtaining Sponsorship difficuult, but enjoyable. Any donations would be greatly appreciated. My link to the website is the following:

www.justgiving.com/leehayes

Thanks to all those who wish to support me.
    Lee Hayes
  • Hi All,

I will be running in the Great South Run in Portsmouth on 9th October 2005 for Cancer Research UK - this is the third year I will have run for Cancer Research at the GSR and hope to make this "hat-trick" my most successful yet in both time and money raised.
    Any contributions would be gratefully recived.
    you can see me at www.justgiving.com/stubuc
  • I have a place held over from last year as my training dropped off as my daughter's M.E/Chronic Fatigue grew worse and she needed me more.

This year she is on home tuition and a little older (13) so I am hopeful I can complete my training.

M.E is a long term illness (it has gradually pulled my daughter down over the last three years) that affects the whole family as walks, bike rides, outings are all curtailed.

As yet there is no cure but progress is being made in researching the causes and possibly find a cure.
    I will therefore be fund raising for M.E.
  • I will be running FLM again this year with Superman to raise money for an orphanage that my Christian charity are hoping to build in Uganda. Hundreds of kids are losing their parents with Aids and are becoming homeless. Please, please help.
    If you want more details or wish to sponsor me please e mail me.
    THe charity is www.aim170.org.uk
  • Just had a place in the FLM via the '5 times refused in the ballot' route. I had already pledged to raise a minimum £1500 for the NSPCC in return for a Gold Bond place, and even though the fundraising pressure is now off, I'm still going to try and achieve that target and hopefully exceed it!

Please sponsor me if you can for this worthwhile cause - cruelty to children must STOP RIGHT NOW.
  • Forgot the important bit:

www.justgiving.com/isabelparry2
  • Hello all
    I have a place in this November's NYCM running my first marathon in memory of my parents. I hope to raise lots of money for the Parkinsons Disease Society at www.justgiving.com/christinehall. My dad could have run a marathon before PD got to him. If you know anyone with Parkinson's then you will understand my compulsion. Look out for my pink vest.
    Chrissy
  • I will be running/crawling the Saab Salomon Hellrunner on 23rd October 2005 to raise money for the British Heart Foundation as my Dad died of a heart attack aged 53. Any donations big or small would be much appreciated. My sposorship page to donate online is: www.bhf.org.uk/sponsor/johnhellrunnerhoward

Thank you very much
  • I am running the New York Marathon for Get kids Going and my local premature baby unit.
    My target is £3000 and I am failing hopelessly with the money.I think training is easier than raising the money at my age (59) !!
    I have sight with just giving but can anyone advise how I might reach my target?
    Thanks if you have read this.
    www.justgiving.com/woodroffe-ian
  • Ian, fastest way is to organise an event.

A great place to raise funds are pubs. So if you were to do a fancy dress pub crawl where every one pays you £5 for the privellege of coming along (maybe you get the first round in??) then people will ask what you're all doing. Then you hit them with the sponsorship form. That way the ice is broken and you don't feel embarressed asking. Fleece the bar then onto the next one. Even with £1 a time you're bound to make a couple of hundered.

TC