Rotterdam 2006

nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
Having done FLM in 2005 and will be doing Cardiff in Oct2005, I want to aim for a spring 2006 marathon.

FLM was a deferral from 2004 and although I wasn't prepared I just *had* to do it else lose my place. Now that I'm back into running, Cardiff is for progression and enjoyment.

I didn't want to endure the FLM ballot, didn't fancy yet another big city mara like Paris, so I've settled for Rotterdam. The date, availability of hotels, travel (train, ferry, flights), agreement from the rest of the nrg-b clan makes this highly attractive. Given that people have stated it is a fast flat course with which I can target my sub3 dream makes Rotterdam the best choice.

According to the Rotterdam Website registrations open in Oct2005.

Anyone else doing this?

Comments

• I am really tempted to do this race I cant face FLM again will know more after Amsterdam.

is there a running trip etc so would save so much haslsle sorting out flights etc??
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    WP: Would be great to have you there! A friend of mine should be doing this mara to. Running trip?
  • I was thinking something along of an organised tour cant think off hand od the name of them at the moment ...but then again maybe cheaper to do it direct?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    WP: I see. I think Sports Tours does a 2 or 3 day package by ferry or from Heathrow airport to Savoy Hotel (4*) in Rotterdam. This hotel is meant to be close to the start/finish.

We'd like to spend a few more days there so I'd probably organise hotel/travel myself - should be cheaper too. A quick search on Google showed lots of hotels.

• I did this one last year and it's certainly a PB course...

We organised it all ourselves with no hassle at all and the only slight negative was that the hotel was a tad dodgy (but still perfectly clean etc etc) but then we were aiming to do it on a shoestring...

flights to Amsterdam connect by train to Rotterdam and the start / finish is about a 10-minute walk from the central station.

Organisation was good and my running partner tells me the atmosphere was good too but I didn't really notice!

We are seriously thinking of going back in 2006 with our respective wives / husbands kids etc for the weekend
  • might do this if i can't get London, got this info off Cardiff site. I got all my LSR in for Cardiff - gagging for it then smacked my knee on a bollard on the Tuesday b4 the race. I have respected the distance and dropped out - saving myself for another day
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Bern: First of all well done on all the training. Sorry to hear about that blasted bollard but at least (if there is a silver lining) your decision to pull out of Cardiff was a quick, easy and obvious one.

When I trained consistently for FLM04 I damaged my back 3-4 weeks before the race. I thought I would be ok but the pain got progressively worse. After many days of frantic appointments with physios etc etc I had to reluctantly pull-out. The descision was long, drawn out and ultimately soul destroying. Oh well, life must move on.

Good luck, with your comeback. Hope you get FLM else maybe see you at Rotterdam.
  • Yeh I knew it was bad as I was rolling on the floor, bit surreal really as one second i was on a lovely tapering run next I was on the floor in agony not knowing what hit me, when i got home i had a shower then had the shakes- quite frightening. It was shock. I said my decision would be made Friday but no decision to make really, its hard enough anyway without a dodgy knee - I have done 2 sub 4 hours Cardiff 2004 and Paris 2005 so its not a lifetimes ambition, which would be worse, talking to a medic last night - said my decision was the right one - said you would be protecting your knee all the way around and that could have consequences somewher else - like left hip or something. I am mega cheesed off and feel I have been mugged but lesson is don't run into concrete pillars 5 days before a marathon
  • Bern, sorry to hear that you had to drop out of Cardiff. I had planned to do Berlin and then 4 weeks before I fell during a race and damaged a ligament in my knee. Recovered now so think I will give Rotterdam a go - plenty of time to train and will build on the Berlin training I did.
  • lots of options open for spring, maybe rotterdam - then looking at Prague
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Thanks to the eagle eyes of Big Tim, the online registrations for Rotterdam are now open & I've entered.

nrg-b (sub3:00)

• Mmm maybe;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    WP - Go on...you know you want to....DO IT!!!

;-)))
  • NRG-B stop it I will think long and hard about it before making a decision;-))))

I could wait till Autumn before attempting another marathon
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I entered this race a few years back, and found it similar to London in that you cross a large swing bridge across the river. The route was along dual carrigeways, with you passing the leaders as they come the other way. So the route was a bit boring, but the finish was good with a rose, a medal and a pint of lager at the finish. We went by Sports Tours but flew from Birmingham to Shkippol ? Airport, and caught the train under the Airport to Rotterdam. Stayed in a hotel overlooking the finish line. We caught the train home, took the flight and was back in B'ham in time to catch the 6pm train from London. (We gained an hour bst) Imagine the London Marathoners faces when they all had those grotty London Marathon Gongs around their necks, and we showed them our marvelous medals.
    I would just like to say that if you do intend to travel, do not go by coach.
    We sat at the hotel as the Coaches from the UK arrived, and the peopled looked absolutely shattered.
    I hope I've given you an insight as how I saw it anyway.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    WP: LOL !!

Brian Smith: Thanks for that info. Which hotel did you stay at? How far apart is the start and finish?

• NRG:not that Iam tempted at all in any shape or form;-)

Pssst think I am waivering........get behind me satan;-)

very interesting BS!! a rose as well ooh one of my favorite flowers:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    WP: I'll swap you my rose for your beer.

Sorted. :-)
  • NRGB: well as I don't drink and when I have done after a marathon it is a glass of wine you are on!

we are indeed sorted:-)

Mind you a bunch of Poppies would have been nice;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    WP: Excellent! Would Madame like to be added to the VIP list then?
  • Madame has made her mind up pop me on the VIP list:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    My pleasure, Madame! Any other takers?

---------------------------------------

The Rotters VIP List:

nrg-b (sub3:00)
    WelshPoppy (Wine required).
  • Why thank kind sir:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Oh dear I meant to say Thank you!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    WP: Ahh! I see Madame has sampled the wine already. Very good.

;-)
  • Nope Madame does not touch the wine till after the marathon must be all H20 I drink;-)

I blame trying to typing to fast;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • room for one more?
    wine drinker (anytime!!)
    looking to do sub 5 and this looks like as good as one as any.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard, TLT.
    WP: Have I got your target time correct?

---------------------------------------

The Rotters VIP List:

sub3:00 -
    nrg-b (Pls sponsor me: http://www.justgiving.com/nrgb-rotters2006 )

sub3:45 -
    WelshPoppy (Wine required)

sub5:00 -
    Tortoise Legs too (More wine required)
  • Morning

Welcome aboard TLT

Nrgb I was going to say how come you knew what time I was aiming for;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression