Stamford Striders St Valentine 30k

Looking to use this as training for the Paris Marathon. Any takers? Any information on previous years?

Comments

• Also interested in hearing previous participants' experiences, as I would use this as marathon preparation if I get into FLM. Besides, I need a 30k PB.

How many entrants, and what sort of times do people finish in ? I couldn't find last year's results on the club's website.
  • This years results are on www.ukresults.net
    I am planning on doing this one for the first time.
  • Highly recommended, and if injuries stay away I'll be there. It's a challenging course as it undulates a fair amount, but it's very scenic, friendly and very well run. Excellent marathon preparation too, if that's what you're after. I'm sure Algie the race director will be along soon to con, ah, er, persuade you of its multitude of charms. :-)
  • Yes , I'm planning it as one of my training runs for FLM '06
  • I've done this one twice; last year and this year. It's in February so expect cold weather, especially as you are out on the course for a long time.
    The course is undulating and on the road, apart from the lap of the school playing field that you do at the end.
    This is an extremely well organised event, and ideal marathon preperation. I used it this year when I was training for London, and Stamford was harder than the marathon itself! If you can finish this, then London will be a doddle.
    I won't be running in this race this year, as I havn't got a spring marathon planned, but good luck to all of those who are doing it.
  • I may be doing this, it's part of our clubs winter league. Not sure if I'm doing a spring marathon or not yet, but I may need the points!!
  • I'm planning on doing this as part of my FLM06 prep. Never done it before - this year I did the Muscular Dystrophy 20 in Bury St Edmunds as my February long race, but I fancy a change for 2006. Plus a guaranteed PB is an appealing thought :-)
  • I did this last year. Freeeeeeezing cold it was. A good race though, and perfect as preparation for a Spring marathon.

One other side benefit I reckon is that (assuming all goes OK)it is also a nice confidence builder as those long runs get even longer....

Nice long sleeve T shirt too.

I'll be there

MiB

• I did it this year - my first ever race. It was very cold and windy and felt very hilly. The last 5-6k was hell!

But I managed to finish in around 2.36 or so and I think it did me a lot of good. A month later I did the Stafford 20 miler and got a slightly quicker time! And it was part of my training for the Edinburgh marathon which went really well.

Well organised and friendly although, as usual, when you're struggling it feels like nobody else is near you:) And the lap of the school field at the end was cruel!

Sounds like I'm complaining but I'm really not. It just wasn't my day. I'd recommend it for anyone training for a spring marathon.

Think I might go for it again next year and do it better this time.
  • It's an excellent race and I enjoyed the fact that it was undulating as this kept it interesting. It is a rural course which also helps take your mind off the distance.

I was also told that this was an excellent lead up to London and that if I got through it then London would be a doddle. I finished this race strongly and was full of confidence going into FLM. I didn't do as well there.

Use this race in your build up as it is a brilliant event, but it is a different style course to London. If you do well here don't think London will be a stroll in comparison.

Unfortunately I'm working this year so good luck to all who do it.
  • Hello Valenteenies yes its your old friend Algie the race director of your beloved race our very own 30k rated as one of the top 100 uk races ,lovely race so many runners come back to see us time and time again could it be the scenic flat countryside or perhaps the sexiest marshalls the motorbike hunks glad in tight leather or the gorgeous marshall girls that adorn the course ,as Rickster and others will confirm this is a great race that you will remember for some reason or another ,hope to see you all in February.
    love running love the valentine 30k
    love and kisses to you all
    Algie Audas
    Race Director 30k
    Stamford Striders
  • Hi Valenteenies
    Just to let you know that our website has been updated and now has entry form, joining instructions, race map, course profile, and last year's results on-line. So go have a look and see what you are in for: http://www.stamfordstriders.co.uk - and click on the 30K button. Race numbers etc will start to be sent out within the next 10 days - numbers have just arrived from the printers! See you all on the 12th Feb.
    LOVE RUNNING, LOVE THE 30K
  • Oh um well, it IS hard, let's not pretend BUT that's exactly what you need in prep for FLM, no good pussyfooting about. The bit I really didn't like was the evil lap of the field at the end, it just seemed so unfair! It's hilly, it's long but the scenery is great and so's the atmosphere.

Horrible in a nice kind of way - sort of great in hindsight - Character building!
  • Definitely was a great race last year. Shall do it again this year if I can persuade my sweetheart (of 28 years' standing) to join me in it.

See you in Feb.
  • Does anyone else find it difficult to enter the site or it just me ? Have already sent SAE for race application forms, no reply yet.
  • Paul..... I had the same problem. I e-mailed Algie to let him know, but there doesn't seem to be a problem for many others.

He's sending me an entry form. I'll try to get on the website form home perhaps it's just a problem here at work.
  • Hi Hammerite and Paul. Please let me know if you continue to have a problem. Have checked the website and there doesn't seem to be any particular problem but if you continue to have difficulties then obviously will try to sort out what is happening, or not happening. Don't forget that you can also enter online at Runners World http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/registrationinfo.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=27514

Looking forward to see all you sweethearts in Stamford on 12th Feb.

LOVE RUNNING, LOVE THE 30K
  • I had problems accessing the website too - persistence paid off for me and by repeatedly refreshing the page I got there in the end...
  • Managed to download the race application.
    I assume the UKA reg. no. is your personal club number from your affiliated club. Just that I didn't know it also doubled up as a UKA number.
  • Don't worry if you don't know it; only about 1% of club runners seem to know what theirs is, and UKA have never asked for a listing from me....yet! :o)

It's just another bl***y thing to have to type in when I'm doing the entries....

Strider
    <~~ developing an allergy to beaurocracy...
  • Looks a good one in the build up to London, I think I will be making the journey form Burton for this.
  • Our race always proves popular for pre-FLM training - a lot of runners say that if you can do the 30K course at Stamford, you should be fine for London. It is a beautiful course through some lovel countryside, with a very friendly atmosphere, even if we do say so ourselves!! See all you lovebirds in Stamford for a Valentine run.

Love Running... Love the 30K
  • I've plucked up the courage to enter this one. A bit nervous about it, because I'm not used to 30k of undulating running. Guaranteed PB, though (provided I finish).
  • MRF - don't be nervous, we will be gentle with you. You will find a welcoming atmosphere at Stamford, we have some brilliant marshalls who will cheer you up the little bumps we call hills, and I am sure you will have a great day. And as you say you will come away with a p.b., guaranteed.

Love Running.... Love the 30K
  • Thanks running babe, I'm sure I'll have a great day as well. I've got a few weeks to up my mileage.

• I've been injured for a couple of months and have just started running again - wondering whether I have time to build up to 30km by Feb 12th.........?

Could probably run 10 miles before falling over now.........thoughts?
  • Hi Coops10. If you are at 10 miles now, and you've got about 7 weeks to go, if you can up your long runs by 1 to 2 miles a week, you should get to 18 miles ish. If you decide to enter, it will give you a goal and focus to aim for. It is a good race with fantastic support. And a real sense of achievement when you've finished. Hope to see you on the 12th Feb, Valenteenies.

Love running..... love the 30K
  • Ah sod it - I started the thread so I feel obliged to do it now!

Hate running.......hate running 30K......but will feel good afterwards.....(can that be your new motto?)
  • Did this last year and just entered again. A top event which would be even better if the cheeky lap of the field at the end was taken out. If you are doing Paris or FLM this is a must