FLM 2006 Sub 4 hours

Inspired by Josie Jump's 'is you in or is you out?' thread for 2006...

Calling everyone who's in or is hoping to get it and is aiming for sub 4 hours but probably won't break 3:30.

I'm building up my long runs now. Did a slow 7 miles on Friday and averaging 15 miles per week but increasing from now on.

Weds

Comments

• Hi Weds, I'll be in this band (hopefully).

Did my first, Paris, this year because I didn't get into London. Will probably do a charity place if I miss out on the lottery.

Did Paris in 3:52 so aiming for under 3:45.

Had an injury for 5 weeks so once that's sorted I'll be back to training.
  • Hi Bog Trotter - oops just realised there is a 3:45 thread too ....I meant 3:45- 4:00 - how can I change it?

Well done on your Paris time.

xxx
  • This thread title will very popular - good luck guys.

NY for me in 2 weeks.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Good luck Higo, look after my maiden name won't you!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Just like to say, my best time is 4.18, and would like to do sub four (3.59.59 will do). I am getting a copy of a schedule that starts in Nov and you run every other day, seems like a good idea?
  • Hi Wabo - I've kind of made up my own schedule, running 3-4 times a week increasing mileage to 30mpw by March. Am doing a long run each week increasing in mileage by a mile a week. So I should be doing 3 x 18 milers, 2 x 20 milers and a 22 miler - so much easier to type it than actually do it eh?
    x
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    HI weds, def easier to type (even though I am not very good at typing!!) That sounds good to me though. Have you looked at any schedules?
  • Hi Wabo,

Yes I've looked at a few schedules on this website and someone is going to lend me a marathon book. I've got a 5 mile XC and 7 mile and 10 mile road races next month so I'm really keen to see how I do at 10 miles.

Are you doing any races soon?

x
  • Hi guys,

I am doing FLM as my first marathon, and based on race pace calculators on this site I should be able to do sub 4 hours. Have done a 10k last month in 49.53 and a 10 mile in 1hr22. Did 12 miles Sunday, legs very sore Monday!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    HI weds. I have a club 5k tues 1st nov and 2nd claim club 7.5 mile xctry race on 4/11.
    I have the sched that starts nov and you run every other day, only prob will be race days but I will get round that one!
    Hi Runnerbean283!
    Weds I did ridgeway 15k a few weeks ago, took me 94 mins so I have to speed up a bit!
  • Hi Runnerbean,

Well done on your 10k and 10 mile race - they're great times. I've got a 10 mile race at the end of November and would love to get under 1:28 and therefore get a bronze standard at my running club.

Wabo good luck on your Nov races, let us know how you get on.
    x

• Hi Guys - My last race was the Robin Hood Marathon Sept '03, and I managed 3 hrs 58 mins and 16 secs. I was determined to break 4 hrs, but it nearly killed me.

Work and family commitments have prevented me from training since then, but I'm determined to shed the 20 lbs I've put-on, and am looking at FLM '06 as the vehicle for this! Would love to do sub-4 hrs once again.

Will be following this thread with the rest of you. Fingers crossed for the applications.

Mark
  • Hi Hammy,

Well done on Robin Hood.

20lbs isn't easy to shift, I had 2 stones to lose after having my daughter. Good luck with your application and training. Have you started yet?

W
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hey all, anybody had cheque cashed yet? Mine cashed today so I will have to put money where my mouth is!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi hammy! You can be our inspiration as you already have sub 4 under yer belt!
  • LauraFLauraF ✭✭✭
    Hi all. My cheque has been cashed, so it looks like I'm in. I did 4:14 in 2004, and am aiming to break 4 hours this time. Trying to work out what program to follow...
  • Aw, my cheque hasn't been cashed, so looks like I'm not in. Bugger! Will have to find another, am desperate to get my first one under my belt and don't want to wait until Cardiff next October. Hopefully I can find one not too far away from Monmouthshire and cos it's my first one, it's gotta be flat. Any suggestions gratefully received.
  • Count me in for this one.

PB so far is 4:10, but know that i can get well under 4 hours with some decent training.

Cheques cashed, so I'm defo in.

• I think 4hrs is a goal for many people, me included. 2006 will be my first FLM, having completed 3 half's with a pb of 1:58. About a stone to shift and I shall be following the RW sub-4 marathon plan.

Good luck everyone
  • My cheque's been cashed at last, mind you I did donate my entry if not successful, so let's wait and see if I'm in. Please, please, please let me get in!!! With anticipation.....
    If so, did the Cardiff half this year in 1.45 so hoping for sub-4. Good luck to you all....
  • Hi Ploddette - if you see the thread on FLM there's more details about likelihood of you getting in related to when your cheque was cashed...

aplogies if you've already seen the thread

x
  • Thanks Weds, just had a look a the thread. Mine's been cashed today, so according to the forum, I've won a fleece. Bugger!
  • yeah I know - I didn't even want a fleece!

I don't understand why I bequeathed, must have been in charitable mood that day!

oh well, always next year ;)

x
  • Well pigs may fly and we'll win a place in the New York mara (yeah right!) Will have to find another one to run, cos I'm not putting all this training to waste.
    Happy running!
    x
  • is a sub-4 achieveable with my best half @ 1:58??
  • BJ. I had a half PB of 2:00 this time last year and did last years FLM in 4:23. I will aim to go sub 4 for my next marathon but it will require a step up in my training.
  • B*gger - I was getting all excited because my cheque has been cashed but just read Plodette's message and remembered that I donated my entry fee.

Does anyone know when you get notified?
  • LauraFLauraF ✭✭✭
    Hi Penfold - we don't get official notified for nearly another month. Yes or No packs arrive the last day or so of November or the beginning of December.
  • Am just lurking on this thread (didn't get into FLM this year) but thought would post some encouragement. Surreystrider - sub 4 is definitely possible with a current pb of 4.23

I did 4.18 in london this year, then went on to do 3.51 in Dublin last week. the difference between london and Dublin was consistency. For london I was training 3-4 days per week, with a bit of speed training (loosely used the RW sub 4 programme). I just didn't do enough miles to get a sub 4 and all the speedwork made me injured so i hit the wall in a big way.

For Dublin I eliminated all the speedwork (used the Hal Higdon intermediate programme), ran 5 days per week, 4 slow, one at marathon pace, and did 3x20miles and 2x18 miles. At dublin I felt great, no problems hitting the wall, and was comfortable until 24miles.

I attribute the improvement to more miles in my legs, although because of eliminating speedwork, I felt much less tired overall throughout the training

Good luck in London everyone - am very jealous!!