'Hardley A Half' Half Marathon

Has anyone out there ever run this Half Marathon before?

Comments

• I have run the route as a training run - lovely, not too hilly, the last two miles are a little boring as they are along a main road - the run through the forest and along the beach at Lepe is lovely

Whizzy
  • That sounds great! Haven't run a half for a while, so it's encouraging to know it's a lovely route. Let's just hope the weather stays fine!
  • Well it was a bit wet and windy to say the least and somehow I did a pb beating my time in the New Forest half marathon two weeks ago by about 20 seconds!On a day with better weather this would be a very good course and was well sign posted with mile markers and drinks.So hopefully next year, better weather and another PB!Well done to the organisers.
  • I second that! A very well done to the organisers and all the course marshalls on what was a very wet and windy day! A fabulous route and one that I would recommend.
  • I hated Hardley!! I had really hoped for a PB to better my New Forest time but missed out by about 90 seconds - blew up at 8 miles, legs full of lactic. Does anyone have any suggestions for working through this in training ??

The one thing that never ceases to amaze me is how many spectators turn out in any kind of weather. I think most of yesterday's cheer-onners had been to the local churchs and were standing htere in their plastic bonnets but bless 'em, they certainly made a difference on what was a tough day. Whoever the guy was wearing all black that finished with me in about 1.39.40 - thanks for keeping me going those last 3 miles - you got me through hell!
  • Twinkletoes, I was just ahead of you in 1:37, but I agree with the sentiments about how well organised the event was and the number of spectators who braved the horrendous conditions - at least we were running to keep warm.

I've been making a concerted effort to train for the London Marathon - four times a week and around 30 miles a week. Twenty years ago I ran 1:33 for a half marathon, and thought I'd never get near that mark again, but the training is paying off. It will get harder, though, with the winter!
    Well done to those who ran at Hardley.
  • I ran this race and having done it in the past it is a lovely course normally but that weather was horrid - and yet I too managed to do a really good time!
    I was actually glad that I was running though instead of being one of those group of marshalls standing at Lepe beach getting battered by the rain!!

My dad is one of the organisers of this race and says:
    Thanks to you all for running in such horrible conditions, it is good to hear such positive feedback.
    Hope to see you all again next year in (fingers crossed) better weather conditions!!
  • Hi

Sorry to be late with this, but went on holiday straight after the race and have only just got back... it was a good race and I did a PB - nearly 2 minutes off my New Forest Time - as for Lepe Beach, I did have to slow down and wipe the water from my eyes so I could see where I was going, knew I was on for a good one when I got to 10miles in my pb time

Whizzy