Also a bit fed up

Can I follow Go-Slow's lead and just have a bit of an online gripe? Feeling a bit under the weather recently and could really do with a few words of encouragement!

I know you'll be fed up hearing about this, but have taekwon-do grading on Saturday and so that has had to be my main focus recently to the detriment of my running. :( Also :(((((( - and this is the bit I know I'm just being a big sourpuss about - Mr G has started running with me in the last month or so only, and has already caught up with me. And I've been struggling away since April and thinking I'm doing SOOOO well to be able to run 25 mins nonstop ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM ACHIEVEMENT. And he's a smoker and I'm not. And he's always been much more of a couch potato than me. One consolation, I suppose it was me who inspired him to get started.

Also other things in my life not going so well so just feeling generally stressed out, demoralised and fed up. Sorry.

Comments

• Fiona - don't worry - every time you go out running, you are achieving something - you are improving with every run, even though you may not always feel like it. My legs are short and flabby - the Mr.'s legs are long, muscly and beautifully defined - he never runs - so how can that be??!! Grrrr!!! But look how far you have come - what were you like in April when you began? And now you can run for 25 minutes non stop!!!! Excellent!!! My Mr never runs, but if he came out for a run with me, I know that he would be able to run faster and for longer - and I don't know why!!! But don't worry about that.. you just concentrate on yourself and how well you're doing and maybe start entering some 5K's to have something to aim for. Keep at it!! Good Luck.
    Michelle x
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Thanks Michelle, I just needed that this morning! Think because have niggly headache too. I'm probably most hacked off because I took up the running just for me, with no competition, just the aim to get better and better in myself and be happy with that instead of comparing myself to others. And Mr G is very, very competitive, even if he swears he's not (he's the sort of person that won't play a friend at a computer game until he's practiced so much he knows he'll beat them, or go to the gym until he's already fit). Has taken some of the fun out of it for me. Maybe will have to assert myself and insist on running alone for most of my runs.
  • FiG

Congratulations on everything you have achieved since April, that hasn't changed because of anyone else.

How far are you covering in your 25 mins? What are you trying to do run faster or further? What's your next running target? Are you keeping a record of your runs so you can see how well you're improving? On your last run, did you pass somewhere you couldn't get to on earlier runs? (You don't have to answer any of these questions in public if you don't want to.)

If all else fails, enter a Race for Life then Mr can't run with you :-)

• PS
    Do you think the weather might be about to change, I've had a dull headache all day too
  • Hi folks
    I've been away from the site a bit, but I've been reading all the messages and getting all inspired.

Nick I generally get headaches if its about to thunder, or sometimes when I eat chocolate. last week I had a headache like your which lasted 4 days, but its gone now, maybe there is something going round?

Fi - Mr Daisy has taken up running and suggested a 10k later in the year. He used to run a few years ago but has got a bit porky lately and so has taken it up again. he says hes not very good - but as he insists on running when I'm out with the club, I haven't actually had chance to form my own opinion on this.
    I'm peeved in one way as running is my thing, but pleased in another because I don't feel so bad about the time I spend running wihtout him.
    It would be sweet if I could beat him in the 10k though.
  • Hi Fiona - I run alone most of the time - I love running alone - gives you time to think doesn't it! I think the only thing to do is tell Mr.G that maybe you should just do one run a week together, but that your other runs you're going to do alone - as you and he have different strides/speed etc.. and that when you are both the same speed, you can run together all the time (maybe, by then, he will have found another sport/hobby to do!!) Good luck Fi and don't give up!!!
    Love Michelle xx
  • Why so negative?

Just get out there, do your own thing and don't worry aboout anyone else. Some people are faster than others, some people can go further than others. Different strokes, different folks etc.

The important thing is that YOU are doing it, yes YOU, the one who couldn't do it six months ago.

• Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Howdy again folks

I know I'm being negative today, I'm usually actually quite a positive person, but I figured everyone deserves to let that slip just a tiny bit once in a while!!

I am actually really pleased with what I've achieved. Struggled to run a minute when I started in April. Took me ages to improve, but stuck at it, increased the number of runs per week from 2 to 3 and just persevered! It is a tad infuriating that I just seem to have to start from a lower fitness baseline than most other people (was always the same, even at school - couldn't figure how I was doing the same exercise as everyone else but struggling more and taking longer to improve) - but like you say, different strokes and all that.

Nick - I do keep a training log which I find really really useful. Can't remember how far I got in my 25 minutes because I don't have it with me! Not sure what my next running goal is, will have to sit down and re-evaluate after get the tkd grading out of the way tomorrow. Would LOVE to run another 5k and try and better my last Race for Life time - but finding it really difficult to find runs of that length here in Northern Ireland. Next race I run might well be next year's Race for Life! Do my timed runs on treadmill - so no nice landmarks!! Outside runs are set distance circuits and unfortunately on pavements, so give my joints a bit of a pounding. I try to vary my training so that on the treadmill I have a thing where I see if I can get further and further within a 20 min set time, outside I'll experiment with pacing myself better round the 5k, and/or I've just started doing some fartlek stuff which I quite enjoy but nearly kills me!!
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, think another contributing factor could be that the last run I went on - with Mr - was a total total flop. Was very angry and tense beforehand (had had big row - not about this I hasten to add!)and found that I just could not get enough breath to run beyond 2 minutes. Was also premenstrual and have noticed that that can also affect my breathing during running. (Wierd but true). So guess I need to get out there again soon and have a more positive experience.
  • Some days I have good runs, some days I have bad runs, some days I have indifferent runs. The thing is that I never know what it's going to be like until I get out there. Until last night all of my bad runs were in one pair of shoes so I was blaming them, now I've had a good run in them I'll have to look for something else to blame.

Last night, running up hill after about four miles, fifteen year old boy runs past me fast showing off to girlfriend, get to top of hill, he's bent double gasping, I say "ask your girlfriend whether she'd prefer someone quick or someone who can keep going". Much smugness.
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Brilliant. :)

I actually do feel a bit better now after offloading! Will have bit of a rest to recover from tomorrow's exertions and then get stuck in properly next week again.

Thanks again everyone.
  • Dragon-Breath - loved that put-down!! By the way, I've just come back from running and I was running past a woman with her little boy (aged about 4) as I went past he said to her, 'Mummy, why is that little girl running.?' 'Little Girl'?? I'm 38!!! Bless him!
    Michelle x
  • Except, now I feel like a thirty six year old man who has destroyed a fifteen year old for the rest of his life. Burdened him with my problems etc. etc. It's all my fault if he fails with the ladies for the rest of his life. He was full of himself and I may have ripped all of his elf confidence away fom him.

Sod it. He had it coming.
  • Yeah, cheeky little bugger won't do it again will he!!!
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Now who's being negative!!!??? ;-)

Part of growing up is learning that being too cocky always has a price!
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    You've positively helped him grow!!
  • Hee Hee!

Might go out looking for him again tomorrow, this time take him on up the hill and then wisecrack as I head off into the sunset. (Unless he's got his mates with him).
  • Hi Fiona,

just seen this thread, hope the grading goes ok today, what level are you going for?? I practically sh#t myself at every grading, so don't blame you for feeling a bit negative. You're right, offloading does help, and there's always someone out here ready to listen...

• Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Hiya Slowboy

Have I found a fellow tkd-er?? I am going for my green belt today so need to break for the first time. (Aaaagghhh!!!). Get more and more nervous with each one. Starts at 6 pm and could go on all evening so I will come back here and let you know how I go. What level are you at yourself?

Lots of apologies to everyone else, I know this is a running board!!!!
  • Good luck for tonight Fiona, or do runners not say good luck? If it's any help I struggled like hell to get to 3 miles, but suddenly found I could do 5 with very little extra effort. I still maintain the first mile is the hardest!
  • Good luck with tkd. my brother was an enthusiast.

Re running with the Mr. I was the first to run, and of course, when Mr. took it up, there was no contest. He could immediately go further and faster with less effort. (And before I had a Mr., I had a big brother who could always do things better and faster than I, snarl, grizzle.)

But one of the things that running keeps on teaching me is patience. I ran a 10K a week ago. Couldn't keep up with the pack for even 50 yards. But I didn't have to stop, and I was not last or even second to last.

I was immensely chuffed to have done it, and certainly enjoyed it, not even dead legs could take away the pleasure in the day.

I struggle, and I sometimes progress, but struggle or progress, I fit a great deal more comfortably in my own skin for making the effort to try.

Those who find it easy, if there are any, may be missing out on some of the best benefits of running.

Keep on at it. You can take solid credit in every step.

• Hi, I feel the same as you fiona, my husband recently accompanied me on a run and picked up the bug.. needless to say he can run faster and further despite me training since feb. However cos he found it easy he tried to keep up with me and now has knackered knees..so he's gone back to run/walk.

Having said that we can have a good old chat about heart rate, times and injuries without boring each other. Only problem is we now both want to do races and have two small children to farm out....

Whilst Im a bit fed up hes's taken up my hobby at least its something we can do together and keep fit.

hope the grading went well Fiona

• Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Aw thanks folks, for both the good luck wishes for last night and the words of encouragement for the running!

First things first: THINK I've passed the grading (YAYYYY!!!). Were there from 6 pm to 10.45 last night (although most of that was watching other levels grade). We do a class first, from 6-7, and I was horrified to be asked to "carry" each of my teammates from one end of the room to the other - competing against another team!! The first 2 hefty teenage boys launched themselves on me piggy back style (bad move) so I was knackered before I started, whilst other team were cheating by doing "wheelbarrow" affair. Needless to say we were last. Flipping nearly killed me! But grading proper went well. Got all my korean theory questions right, and don't think I made any serious mistakes in the rest. Didn't have to do the usual 20 press-ups, thank God! Managed to break my board too - dead chuffed. Should find out for sure if I've passed today at class, and received fancy new certificate and green belt!! :)))))) I am SOOOO sore today though (not to mention bruised all over) so will definitely miss Tuesday's class and have a bit of a rest. But start back running properly midweek on treadmill (No Mr, our gym has separate male and female areas - :)).

And secondly - it's really nice to hear about other people's husbands/partners overtaking them so easily as well - I thought it was just me, but I suppose when you think about it they do have a bit of a natural advantage in terms of muscle mass and strength etc.

Helen - I would agree for sure that the first mile was the hardest. Currently floundering round about the 3 mile mark so look forward to it getting easier from now on (???).

Stickless - you continue to be an inspiration. And you are dead right - you get something out of every run, whether it be a "good run" and you feel a real sense of achievement, or a "bad run" and you get to practice your self-motivation (or support-seeking!) skills.

Scarlett - glad I'm not the only one who can admit to having my nose a bit out of joint when Mr took up "my" sport (haha) - thing is, he's also talking about doing the tkd now (my, what an inspiration I must be ;-)) - except that his pride couldn't cope with being a lower belt than me. In any case, sad fact is that we are unlikely to be living on the same land mass if/when that happens. :(
  • Hi Fiona,

haven't been on for a while, I guess you'll know now if you've passed or not, bet you did....

I got my 1st Dan black belt late last year, but sad to say have hardly been able to train since then (good grief it's almost 12 months, doesn't time fly) due to work/commuting taking up way too much time. Hoping to get a new job soon much closer to home so I can get back in to it.

One of my breaks in the black belt grading took me three attempts, talk about just wanting to find somewhere to hide.....

Are you studying an ITF or WTF style?

Suppose I ought to put something in relevant to running or we'll be blacklisted !!
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Hiya Slowboy

Yes I did!!!! :D Much jubilation and relief. Black belt, huh, very impressive. Even watching the red belts at our grading flying through the air was amazing (if not a bit scary - will I be expected to do that some day??!!). I believe the black belt gradings are taken privately by Grand Master Rhee? It's ITF style. I'm only beginning to appreciate the tkd politics!!

Sure maybe you should email me directly to talk more about the tkd - or we will be blacklisted! but I would be interested in comparing notes!

So...moving swiftly on to the running... I'm pleased to report that have managed to get back out there - ALONE - (Ok it was only 2 miles but I went!) and was actually quite pleased with self. Was almost there and back before had to take walking break. Now that is progress! :)