I need motivation

I've managed to run a 5k and a 10 this summer and was inspired to register for the Marathon next year!!! However, I'm finding it really hard to start a training programme for the Marathon. I'm due to run a 10K at the end of the month and wondered if I should keep doing more of these runs as my training. The fact that it gets dark early now is also putting me off running after work.

Comments

• Naki - why don't you join a running club? That way, you'll always have people to run with in the evening. They have people of all different speeds and abilities. I've recently been to my local one and I was so scared first of all, as I thought they'd all be 'elite' and wouldn't want a plodder like me. But I couldn't have been more wrong. I was made to feel really welcome. So, give it a go and it will definitely help to motivate you too - running with people who are slightly faster than you. Good Luck.
    Michelle x
  • Naki,

No kick necessary. You know what you have to do, so get out there and do it. You will feel better after it, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it.
  • Michelle,

Thanks for the advice on running clubs. I know what I have to do. I will look up any running clubs where I am. I do worry about the fact that I will be too slow and all behind!!

Thanks
  • Naki
    Personally I would book a series of 10ks (& maybe and odd half) between now and March. Fill in the forms, send off the cheques.

Then you'll have some regular milestones to look to. Like you I'm finding the darker evenings disorientating - I don't do long runs in the week but it felt good to 'top up' with an unwinding run out. We don't have many roads with pavements or lights round us so it makes for a rather boring set of winter runs. Finding like minded runners locally is also a great spur.

Good luck, enjoy it
  • Keep up the good work! I am just getting started and look forward to being able to run the leeds marathon next year.
  • Naki, don't worry that you'll be too slow - that's why it's taken me so long to actually go to a running club.. I always thought I was too slow. What I did was, I emailed the running club and told them some of my times and they emailed back right away, inviting me to go down there. You don't even have to join right away. You can go along a few times and see whether it's what you're after. Go on, give it a go! Also, like Nick says, I have entered quite a few 10K's over the next couple of months, just to keep me motivated and to make me get out there and run! Good Luck!!
    Michelle x