Dublin Marathon 2006

Comments

• I have only one thing to say - you are all addicts!! (to the thread, not PSP22, which I thought might be a games console)

• Amadeus - close the door on your way out :)
    (Deja vu) ah no come in sit down.... Have a cup of tea
  • Go on, go on, go on, go on...
  • If I join this thread does that mean I'm doing Dublin again??
    Guess so!
    Liverpool half sounds good too.
    Did Liverpool this year and tore a calf muscle. Hence, PB improvement should be possible.

Lou
  • Welcome Lou -

Tell me, is Liverpool flat?

Mr H -

PSP22 is specifically for use before activity. Other products handle the 'during' and 'after' stages. And yes, always a good idea to brush well after use.

SJ
  • SJ
    How much PSP22 would you recommend drinking in the 48hrs before a marathon?
  • Hi guys,
    nice to see an early start for next year, undecided myself as yet. not sure I can afford
    the time for training and also keep up with the thread :-)
  • Hi. My name is Left Foot and I am marathon addict.

(All: Hello, Left Foot)
  • great photo SJ, What is the story with your number? Are the yellows the elites but you weren't given the correct number? (sorry if it's been mentioned before)
  • Are any of the Dublin peeps going to be at Luton?
  • Does this mean we are marathonics?
  • Is anybody doing Edinburgh in June?
    I thought I might do it if (when) I don't get a place in London. Works quite well, timing-wise. Lots of Spring/Summer running, and not too much in the horrid winter. (Sorry. I spent 3 years of my childhood in Jamaica, 2 in the middle east and 14 years in Calfornia. In the cold my willpower "melts").
  • SJ,
    Depends on your perception of FLAT.
    I train in Cumbria so apart from on fairly sharp incline I'd say mostly flat.
    The killer this year was being able to see the finish while the course took a meander around the park.

Lou
  • Hi Lou

How did you and Mrs Powell do at Dublin. (Everyone I forgot to mention that I ran with Lou and Mrs Lou for a reasonable stretch, shook him off and then he overtook me!)

I preferred the old Liverpool Course which had another nasty hill - Mossley hill - that saw a few more off!

The Liverpool 10k this year ran along the Mersey and there was only a 20 ft difference between the start and the halfway point. SJ I thought you liked hills?
  • Just checked my 2006 Diary...working the weekend of Connemara...working the weekend of Liverpool half...if I don't get into London I'll have to do some serious rearranging of the diary.
  • Hi Mr H
    I ran 4:24 chip time with wifey close behind at 4:28. (She had to detour into a MacDonalds for a Paula. Quite fitting really as she's a Pauline)

Lou

How about you?
  • I will be at Luton but only running the first leg of the relay. Need to be finished and changed for the 100KM Assoc. AGM after the race. Will be on the finish line to see te 4 hours bods in I hope.
  • Ahh, I'm so pleased I found you all!

(Ace puts down a big bucket of leftover Halloween candy)

I don't think I made it into London either LeftFoot - when in June is the Edinburgh one? I'm having my wedding reception on the 15th - so if it was early enough I might be tempted... otherwise I'm debating Vienna vs. Copenhagen.

Did anyone watch the Amsterdam or NYC marathons yesterday? It was sorta fun.

SJ - I'm really sorry to hear about the hamstring. My fingers are crossed that it heals quickly.

Woohoo!
  • Left Foot, Dai Lactic, Amadeus, Aces etc...welcome, welcome, welcome to one and all. I might have to get external caterers in at this rate!

Just back from Physio. It's good news. It's not torn - just "acute muscle spasm" whatever that is (I think it's the medical term for a £30 cramp) Hurt like hell when he got in there but at least I can run. Hooray! Those prayers seem to have done the trick Supergirl Pam, thanks very much.

Jo - yellow numbers were for elites. They didn't pay attention to my entry form and when I enquired they gave me a lovely yellow strip for the bottom of my number. I felt special.

The RTE television coverage described white numbers as "for those with more modest ambitions" The cheeky beggars!

There's actually no advantage to having one apart from not having to push to the front row. The elite start didn't have separate baggage collection or loos. Bit of egomania going on in there somewhere methinks.

Dai - I had about 2 litres of PSP22 in the 24 period before the start based on a 10% concentration. Worked a treat for me so it comes recommended. Especially in lemon flavour.

SJ
  • time we had some crappy jokes on here

. A kindergarten pupil told his teacher he'd found a cat, but it was dead.
    "How do you know that the cat was dead?" she asked her pupil.
    "Because I p*ssed in its ear and it didn't move," answered the child innocently.
    You did WHAT ? ! ?" the teacher exclaimed in surprise.
    "You know,"explained the boy, "I leaned over and went 'Pssst!' and it didn't move."

2. A small boy is sent to bed by his father.
    Five minutes later...."Da-ad...."
    "What?"
    "I'm thirsty. Can you bring drink of water?"
    "No, You had your chance. Lights out."
    Five minutes later: "Da-aaaad....."
    "WHAT?"
    "I'm THIRSTY. Can I have a drink of water??"
    I told you NO! If you ask again, I'll have to spank you!!"
    Five minutes later......"Daaaa-aaaad....."
    "WHAT!"
    "When ! you come in to spank me, can you bring a drink of water?"

3. An exasperated mother, whose son was always getting into mischief, finally asked him "How do you expect to get into Heaven?"
    The boy thought it over and said, "Well, I'll run in and out and in and out and keep slamming the door until St. Peter says, 'For Heaven's sake, Dylan, come in or stay out!'"

4. One summer evening during a violent thunderstorm a mother was tucking her son into bed. She was about to turn off the light when he asked with a tremor in his voice, "Mommy, will you sleep with me tonight?"
    The mother smiled and gave him a reassuring hug.
    "I can't dear," she said. "I have to sleep in Daddy's room"
    A long silence was broken at last by his shaky little voice:
    "The big sissy"

5. It was that time, during the Sunday morning service, for the children's sermon. All the children were invited to come forward. One little girl was wearing a particularly pretty dress and, as she sat down, the pastor leaned over and said,
    "That is a very pretty dress. Is it your Easter Dress?"
    The little girl replied, directly into the pastor's clip-on microphone,
    "Yes, and my Mom says it's a b*tch to iron."

6 When I was six months pregnant with my third child, my three year old came into the room when I was just getting ready to get into the shower. She said, "Mommy, you are getting fat!"
    I replied, "Yes, honey, remember Mommy has a baby growing in her tummy."
    "I know," she replied, but what's growing in your butt?"

• 7 A little boy was doing his math homework. He said to himself,
    "Two plus five, that son of a b*tch is seven.
    Three plus six, that son of a b*tch is nine...."
    His mother heard ! what he was saying and gasped, "What are you doing?"
    The little boy answered, "I'm doing my math homework, Mom."
    "And this is how your teacher taught you to do it?" the mother asked.
    "Yes," he answered.
    Infuriated, the mother asked the teacher the next day, "What are you teaching my son in math?"
    The teacher replied, "Right now, we are learning addition."
    The mother asked, "And are you teaching them to say two plus two, that son of a b*tch is four?"
    After the teacher stopped laughing, she answered, "What I taught them was, two plus two, THE SUM OF WHICH, is four."

8. One day the first grade teacher was reading the story of Chicken Little to her class. She came to the part of the story where Chicken Little tried to warn the farmer. She read, ".... and so Chicken Little went up to the farmer and said, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"
    The teacher paused then asked the class, "And what do you think that farmer said?"
    One little girl raised her hand and said,
    "I think he said: 'Holy Sh*t! A ! talking chicken!'"
    The teacher was unable to teach for the next 10 minutes.

9. A certain little girl, when asked her name, would reply,
    "I'm Mr. Sugarbrown's daughter."
    Her mother told her this was wrong, she must say, "I'm Jane Sugarbrown."
    The Vicar spoke to her in Sunday School, and said,
    "Aren't you Mr. Sugarbrown's daughter?"
    She replied, "I thought I was, but mother says I'm not."

10 A little girl asked her mother, "Can I go outside and play with the boys?"
    Her mother replied, "No, you can't play with the boys, they're too rough."
    The little girl thought about it for a few moments and asked,
    "If I can find a smooth one, can I play with him?"

11. A little girl goes to the barber shop with her father.
    She stands next to the barber chair, while her dad gets his hair cut, eating a snack cake The barber says to her, "Sweetheart, you're gonna get hair on your Twinkie."
    She says, "Yes, I know, and I'm gonna get boobs too."
  • SJ. Good news on the injury. a £30 cramp is another classic SJ turn of phrase.

more modest ambitions. Like when the BBC talk about the fun runners. Being on your feet for 6 hours is so much more difficult than 3:30 even if there is not so much highly technical training involved. The people I saw coming in after 7 hours were in much worse form than those elites.
  • Hello me ole mates....

Been sent here by the Dublin belle herself
    to continue the convivial banter and partake in the blarney...

SJ hot choccy, no sugar and well stirred please
  • Decided to use my nickname for a change.
    Lou
  • Lou - I faded badly - 4:38 (Almost half the speed of SJ) but there's always next time.

Andy Brown- I think Lou is a Southerner living in the North - Proof that it can be done and I even think he's given up sipping shandy for a drop of Jennings or something similar?

Dave O - I think someone should go back to the old thread from time to time just to see if there are any poor slow stragglers left behind.

I'm going out for a blast of my tree trunk legs tonight (Potholers Head torch and reflective vest) - Yippee. I'm going to try lifting my feet off the ground to see if it gives me any speed.
  • Jo -

Your kind words have saved me from calling a cyber cab for those cr*p gags. No doubt the forst of many but the fact they didn't originate from AB12 is a refreshing change.

I agree with you. I think the longer you're out there, the harder it is. Big respect to those who persevere the torment.

Doylie -

You going soft on us, big man? Hot choccy? That's a girls drink, surely! When I first saw your mugshot on the thread you struck me as the kind of guy who chews on his pint glass when he finishes his drink.

Now then, anyone for scones with jam and clotted cream or what about a nice slice of Battenburg or a Swiss roll? (Steady Jo)

SJ
  • I still haven't been out for a run yet...it might be Wednesday before I get out...I used to be so strong...see I told ye's I'm lost without me wee bit of paper that tells me what to do...
  • Ferretmaster -

I'm not even going to ask why. I'm frightened at the potential response.

Were you responsible for poor old Richard Whitely nearly losing his finger on that famous TV clip by any chance?

Mr H - good idea about the search party. Not quite convinced by the head torch thing. Think I'd rather take my chances with the traffic. Dressed as a scene shifter.

SJ
  • Mr H

I'm with you on this 'lifiting your feet off the gorund to see if it makes you go faster' malarky - there may be something in this.

Isn't it great though, you spend a load on books that tell you all about tempo runs, hill reps, negative spits, even nipple guards and yet no one bothers to mention lifting your feet off the ground. I'm off to try this tonight as well.

Next thing they'll be telling us to tie our laces individually and not together - Pa!

Oh I feel that sub 5 hrs is coming ever nearer!