Over 60s training.

Comments

• Hey, lots of typographical errors (or spelling mistakes) Sorry.
  • P.
    If you can e-mail me or post a fax number on here I'll send a copy of the table.
    Excellent running by the way. I'm surrounded by fast ladies.
    JJ
  • P Sorry. i didn't answer your question. No, the .7842 applies only to 1/2 marathons for women 60 - 64.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi Pussy, well done. I am glad that I do not have to carry out my plans to send dout your sheep in search of you in the cornish hills. In fact more than well done, you must be very encouraged by the time you did. How did you feel afterwards?

How does one run a marathon. I presume from what I have heard that one cannot get up to pace for a few miles because of the sheer numbers of people. therefore how does one keep a constant planned pace. Also how do you make up any time lost at the beginning of the race. Or what? That question is for Johnny as well.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    As for myself this week, I did a 6 mile recovery run on tuesday, just kept it fairly steady/slow. thoroughly enjoyable in the wonderful weather we are having. Yesterday I went to the gym and trained on the treadmill. After 10 minutes warm up I ran 8k in 40 minutes, so felt quite pleased with that. Including the cool down I ran 10k. Today is Pilates and tomorrow the low gradient hill running at the gym. All fairly mundane stuff. Am trying this week to give legs a rest from the pounding of tarmac. Sunday will be messed up, Mothers Day, so no 16 miles this week. Mon Tue Wed no running as looking after my beautiful grand daughters.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Lincoln Imp where are you this week? what are you up to? OK I hope?
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ thanks, yes that does make some sense. Another question, my blood sugar levels drop really easily, do you eat anything on the way along. I have tried the gels, twice, I guess I need to give them another go. I did not like the taste of them, I did not like the texture of them and finally I did not like the stickieness of them, ie I got the stuff all over my fingers and else where. In one word UCK. Over to you.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi, just had a peep! You look very determined. Was this near the end of the race or begining. You look as if you have speed in your legs!
  • JJ/Ceal/Pussy and all.

Thanks for your concern Ceal, we got back on Tuesday. Not had much time for the PC so now back on thread at last!

Had a 4 mile run at Yarmouth on Sunday.
    And only a 3 miler plus last night around the dodgy neighborhood of Sheffield estates.

Got my 10k race for this year coming up next week so I reckon I'll taper the running after Monday. I know its only 10k but feel it would be better to avoid stifflike legs on the day!

You three seem to be going great guns with your training for the longer events.
    Thats interesting about age-related figures that JJ explained about. I know I asked you about this before JJ but can you remind me what ratio figure to use to work out on 10ks? For a 64 y.o.

Pleased to see this thread keeps going as we do get a lot of useful stuff for us old-timers.
  • JJ.

Good photo......you look quite formidable, enough to surprise the younger set.
  • I never eat during any race. I eat a reasonable quantity 4 hours before the event so that it is well digested. From then on I rely on sports drinks, diluted with water, but that doesn't suit everyone.
    Try jelly babies, fruit gums or similar, so long as they are made of sugar.
    JJ
  • Jelly babies are the best. I like Jaffa cakes,only trouble is the chocolatey side soon melts in your shorts. So,it has to be JBs or Jap Deserts.

Back to the hills tomorrow when doing the 6 mile plus in the country park. Better half, although not a runner, is into power walking and doing that around the lakes while I knock myself out.
  • Do any of you listen to music on the move?
    I use a mini-disc at gym, basically because they keep on playing that "rap crap" and that really does my head in.

This old rocker prefers the likes of Chuck Berry. "You Can't Catch Me" my favourite is rather appropriate. If only one can buy a tee shirt with a pocket for minidisc player!!
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Lincoln imp Good to hear from you and that you are OK. Yes it's a good idea to start with fresh legs for the 10k race. don't put yourself down for ONLY doing a 10k. All the races hurt. I always think that the 10k hurts from start to finish!!
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Johnny, I hope you did not think for one minute the the YUCK referred to your photo. My message seemed to get separated from my original one by your photo message. I presume that you were sending a message at the same time as myself.

I usually eat 3 hours before race, and find that oK. I must pesevere with finding something suitable to eat during my long runs. Anything over 2 hours that is. I will purchase some jelly babies, and try hard not to eat them before I go running!!!
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Lincoln Imp

re the music issue whilst running. I have been meaning for a while now to get something to take with me while I am running. The units are so small and compact these days. I have a Birthday comming up in June so hopefully someone will take the hint. Although I am undecided between a disc player or a mini radio. I like to listen to Radio 4, but it does depend what is on whilst one is running. I would have problems on a Sunday, I think, when I run round the local Reservoir, there are a lot of cyclists amongst the walkers and I would need to hear them coming up behind me, I think, for safety reasons.

I never fail to be amazed how ignorant some people are. Often on a Sunday I come across 4 people walking abreast (that is as wide as the track), in the opposite direction to myself, and I start to hover or not, wondering who is perhaps going to move to let me through. I end up being the one running on the rough grass verge. It always makes me very angry. Am I invisible? I ask myself. I can see that JJ's elbows would come in very useful at such a time!
  • I always shout at those sorts of people as I approach. Assertive or what? Comes from being 6'+ and 13.5 stones.
    JJ
  • L Imp,

Some running shops sell belts made specially for minidisks. I got mine from Runners Needs in London but I am sure they sell it by mail order.

Ceal, it happens with me all the time. I have to move to the grass verge while the oncoming people completely ignore me.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Spud I am glad I am not the only one.
  • Awww Spud.

thanks for that. I'll check for belts then!
  • New picture on www.digimoments.co.uk
    Paddock Wood 1/2
    No. 413
    More like me than the other one you've seen.
    JJ
  • Good pic JJ. Aye I wish I were taller but theres nowt that can be done about that. I reckon we all encounter the ignorants who just won't give way to us runners.
    Ceal, that is the only possible problem with having music on board....then we would need 360 degree vision to avoid collisions.
    The music is definitely beneficial in the gym to drown out some of the rubbish they play.
  • LI
    It's all to do with leg length. When I sit down I'm no taller than anyone else.
    I reckon I should have been a 400m hurdler.
    JJ
  • Final FLM training over. Last three days have been 9, 7, 9 miles (roughly). I now just keep fit and taper slowly to the big day. Can't do anything now that will get me round any faster. Have a sunny Sunday.
    JJ
  • JJ
    Thanks a million! I will now print the weightings out and keep for reference.
    I'm hoping for a windless and rainless Sunday coming up. If so then it'll help my PB on 10k. Strange that RW didn't include the Lincoln 10k in their race diary. Yet it has reached its limit of 2500 entries last week.
    Your big day is getting nearer. Go Johnny go!