Dublin Marathon 2006

Comments

• Not the first run - that I can believe, the bit about being in training now for Dublin I was asking about?!
  • We am athletes - permanently training!

An accelerating Tractor Boy - we all know you now - Please shorten your name because it takes too long to type. How about just Tractor Boy?

Countdown timer - can you recommend a nice javascript one please?

• Nobody here but...thoughts for the day...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Save the whales. Collect the whole set.

2. A day without sunshine is like..........night.

3. On the other hand, you have different fingers.

4. 42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

5. 99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

6. Remember, half the people you know are below average.

7. He who laughs last thinks slowest.

8. Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

9. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the >
    cheese
    in the trap.

10. Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

11. A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

12. Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

13. If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

14. How many of you believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand.

15. OK, so what's the speed of dark?

16. When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

17. Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

18. Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

19. How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges?

20. Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

21. What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

22. "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

23. Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

24. Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what >
    happened.

25. Just remember - if the world didn't suck, we would all fall off.

26. Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear
    bright......... until you hear them speak.

27. Life isn't like a box of chocolates.... it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.
  • Thanks GFB, enjoyed the whole lot!

Jo, Luton is even sooner than Calvia so now I don't feel quite so nutty for considering another mara so soon. Will you do any long runs between Dublin and Luton and if so, how far?
  • Hi All,
    Ref. running Marathons close together (Shades feel free to comment!)
    I ran my first in 1986 but waited 'til 1991 to do my second. Then I started running a couple a year until 1998 when I ran 4. 6/9, 27/9, 25/10 and 29/11. My times in those days were around 4 to 4-15. In 1999 I ran 9 Marathons and 2 ultras (best time 4-05 in London)
    Whilst preparing for London to Brighton in 2000 I ran 4 races in 3 weeks. 1st on 26/8 Two Bridges (35 miles in 6-10) then Moray (4-27), then New Forest (4-47) and finally Battersea Park (4-17). As you can see the last was the fastest Marathon!
    We are all different but generally speaking if you are racing flat out (like SJ)you may not want to race more than a couple a year. The only way you can find out if you can do it is try. I have only run 2 sub 4 hours, may have been able to run quicker ones if I didn't do so many but I will never know! The main thing is to have fun and don't get injured!
  • Food for thought, Pam. Agree very much with the last point - will give it a couple of weeks before I decide depending on how legs feel.

Mr Happy - you can be sure I'll have the nosh-up and beers whether I choose to do the mara or half!
  • hello all-just a small wee problem-we can all enter next years dublin marathon online but ive been having a little problem,they wont accept my card number.anyone else having or had bother trying to enter??
  • Sluggie, No I'm not doing any long runs between Dublin and Luton. I've mostly been cross training because of an injury and putting weight on my right leg is quite painful. It's getting better very slowly.

Mick. I probably won't get around to entering until just before the price goes up next year. Yes I do intend to run it next year but if Brad Pitt needs a personal trainer that week it wouldn't be fair to let him down.
  • Ouch Jo, you must be very motivated to do both Dublin and Luton on your poor leg.
  • Both happen to be more about the people I want to meet there. <sloppy moment> The pain is temporary the memories will last forever!
  • I like that better than the Lance Armstrong version 'Pain is temporary, quitting is forever'

Although that has come in useful when it's occurred to me that I could just stop...

Someone once gave Mr Sluggie a book on the mental side of running that encouraged you to make up affirmations such as 'I am a warrior runner'. Trouble is, being a bit of a cynic, he came up with alternatives, such as 'Pain hurts', 'Stopping is nice'. We had a good giggle at the time, but I'm afraid they now tend to pop into my mind when they're least wanted! I'll try yours next time...
  • If you think you're going to be in a "quitting" mood never run laps. Pick a route that you will have to keep going in order to get home/back to the car or whereever.
  • Yep, not too keen on two-lap marathons like Cardiff for that reason. Mind you, I did do the '50-mile challenge', where we ran 8 six-mile laps past the race HQ, which was a pub! Running past it was the challenge part...
  • Hello hello, it's your local friendly TV critic. Tonight we are talking about "Chorus Sport" the freebie channel on local digital and cable TV company "Chorus" and teh program transmited at 9:30 Sat night (and indeed at 8:30) called "Dublin City Marathon 2005"...

'Er indoors happened to be flicking through the digital guide and spotted that a half hour highlights show was on so (naturally I had to watch it). On the positives it was great seeing the course and remembering how I was feeling at various points (the barriers around teh corner into the final run up were quite emotional on replay!) and they did show a few good shots of the fun runners in the costumes, again a few of whom I thought "I saw them!".

Coverage of teh mens race was excellent BUT pretty much to the detrement of almost anything else - the womens race was barly mentioned and the mens Irish race not at all (so SJ I don't think you made it onto camera, sorry). AND it didn't look nearly as wet on TV as it was!

Couple of other comments - I was amazed at teh stride lengths the elite runners have. In terms of technique that really does seem to be a key differentiator. The other thing I noticed was teh amount of "arm action". A few books on technique I have browsed talk about trying not to swing your arms as it is a waste of energy, but the elite folk were waving them around (and not just when they were close to each other!). The physique was noticable as well - with the exception of the womens winner (who looked like a shotputter) all the elite athletes made a rake look heavyweight.

Tell you one thing, it motivated me to get my trainers on tomorow!
  • On the subject of physique....I think I'll give up running for shot putting...............

Ah damn there isn't a Shotputtersworld.co.uk...OK so I'll stick witht running!
  • If the women's winner looked like a shotputter maybe I don't need to lose that extra stone after all!

Surely arm action can't be a critical factor otherwise that Chines woman Sun Yingjie who runs with her arms at her sides wouldn't do so well?
  • oh and did I read somewhere that she was forty-something. That's the bit I liked! The best may yet be to come (I'm 32)
  • She was (I think) 42, having taken up running at 30!
  • Mr Happy - new pictures on your site are great. Nice thoughts Ginger - know number 7 - he works here.

I still haven't run - still aching from a squash match. Reckon is was my runners - I'm so used to the cushioning from my road runners that the squash ones just don't compare.

Sj did you buy a treadmill yet? Reckon I won't - Will wait till January sales and maybe get something for cross training.

My son played his first hockey match at the weekend and scored 4 goals!! It was hilarious - 12 kids chasing the ball like a magnet (aged 5-7).
  • Morning evryone...Amadeus, your son's hockey match sounded fun!

I figure I'll be doing a lot of my training on the treadmill (gym), I wasn't running this time last year and I have a tendency to fall over in the ice (not an inner ear thing, I'm just a klutz!!) so I see myself indoors with the sweating masses for the winter!
  • GFB - my son is still only 4 and would be lethal with a hockey stick (although strangly enough I was happy to give hima hurley at 3...). That said he is so accident prone he'd be more of a danger to himself than others - he managed to hurt his hand, elbow and toe when flushing the toilet this morning (don't ask!!).

Giller - have you thought about video taping taht kind of thing - you could make a fortune selling it to the likes of "You've been framed"!

• OOps Sorry...(must read more carefully!) Giller...your son's hockey match sounded fun!!

(I was wondering why it was hocky and not hurley)

• No worries GFB!

Do you cross train when you go to the gym or just run? I'm thinking about signing up but I don't know if I would use it.
  • At the minute I'm just running (I was run/walking to a 5 min/1 min interval but now just running) but also some conditioning on the weights...Mr GFB is taking me round the weights for a conditioning routine through the winter.

We do have free use of the pool also and I think I'll probably start going for that through the winter also. I do like the cross trainer though.

The main reason for it is that I have no excuse on cold wet nights! I have a nice warm gym to go to! Also, like I said, I do fall over in the ice and snow!!
  • amadeus, I love the gym. If you have access to one with a pool, sauna, coffee dock etc all the better because then it's a social thing as well. Of course I in no way condone going only for the jacuzzi and coffee. You need the hot sweaty bit first!
  • Another completely off topic q:
    What's the most romantic thing anyone has ever done for you?
  • Jo - any reason why the thought of getting hot and sweatu made yu think of romance!!!
  • ha ha, wrong kind of hot and sweaty but whatever does it for you Amadeus :)
  • Morning All -

I'm a bit pulled out at work at the minute. Off to London tonight for a conference in the morning so won't be back here until Wednesday.

I owe some responses to recent comments and queries, so in no particular order...

Left Foot

Thanks for the yoga advice althought it will probably be completely lost on me as I can't even touch my own toes (everyone else are easy though). On reflection, I don't have much need to really.

Hope the wekend in Cumbria went well. Did you see Rhono and Slowboy up on the top of those famous hills?

Aces -

Hamstring has greatly improved, thanks for asking. Did my first speedwork since Dublin on Saturday and to my amazement it felt absolutely fine yesterday. Must have been the stretching that sorted it but I'm made up regardless.

My advisor did say it would take three weeks to fully recover from Dublin and it looks like he was absolutely right (again!).

Jo/Pam -

That thread is deeply disturbing. I took up running at 11 but always had the love, support and encouragement of my parents. Not sure that's the case with that little fella, bless him. Cruelty to children is one of very few things that really make me lose it.

GFB -

Those one liners are awesome. Please can I borrow some for my collection?

Training is going well, thanks for asking. Another week of 70m this week before it starts to get all silly again in preparation for Mumbai.

Jo -

Sorry to hear that leg is still troubling you. Why not try to spend a bit more time in the pool to build CV strength in a zero impact environment (assuming you don't push off with you feet that is)?

Giller -

Settled for a commercial use Maxxus MX8000 (7.5HP, 38 Programmes and 20kph). RRP £3,500 - bought on internet for £1,150. On it's way from Germany as we speak. Probably with an incomprehensible manual. Looks like I'll be calling in a favour from my neighbour who's an electrical engineer to get the thing constructed when it arrives.

Mr H -

Sterling work on the site as always. Pictures look great, although obviously not in a narcissistic way of course.

See y'all Wednesday.

Keep those trainers handy.

SJ

P.S. Duracell Dave says hello (received email at the weekend - he's up to his nek in work)

AB12 suspicious by his absence. I'll have a look for him when I'm in London tomorrow. Shouldn't be difficult to spot.

• Eh up lads all this talk of romance reminds me of the football joke SJ Posted a couple of days back.

Come back SJ, AB12 HELP! the thread is being taken over.