minor injuries

How do you decide whether an injury is bad enough not to run?
I'm asking because I did my 1st 10k on Sunday, and since then have had a sore ankle - slightly sore, a bit achey, slightly swollen - ie. nothing serious. I ran on Tuesday morning and it hasn't worsened the symptoms.

So do I just ignore it and keep going - or wait till all symptoms have gone??

Advice please!
Thanks,
Jo.

Comments

• Hi Jo, well I'm no expert on these things, but I would tend to rest it if it's swollen. Did you go over on it or something? Maybe try the old R.I.C.E. method for a couple of days and see if it improves. Hope it's better soon!
    Michelle x
  • Michelle - will start the R of RICE straight away (time for bed!). Years ago I bought a gel which had a cooling effect - more convenient than ice if you're busy - but I haven't seen it for ages. I wonder if you can still get it? Anybody know?
  • Hi Jo - haven't seen cooling gel before, but I have recently brought some Ibuleve (Maximum Strenght) gel and also PowerGel, both of which eliviate my sore ankle... until I run on it again that is! I know there is a freeze spray on the market, available from Boots the chemist etc.

The last thing you want to do is rest, we are are own worst enemies. Perhaps it is just me. Hope the gel and/or spray helps.

Mark
  • You can get a Gel in Boots called Deep Freeze - Like deep heat but cold :o)

Will
  • Thanks for the info Will. I've also subsequently found something called Ice Gel which you can get from www.sports-medicine-supplies.co.uk

I know that ice is readily available and cheap, but trying to tie a bag of ice round your ankle whilst cooking supper or putting the kids to bed isn't easy!

Cheers,
    Jo.
  • Hi Jo
    In answer to your question about the cooling gel, I use a product called BIOFREEZE and find its iceing properties excellect. I haven't seen it in shops but you can order it from several companies:
    JM Sportscare phone 01484687136 is one but I use Physiomed 01457860444 they will probably be able to send you a sachet to try first, it can be bought in a variety of quantities, a 4oz tube cost about £5.
    Hope this is of use.
  • Forgot to say
    re the minor injury, I ran a 10K 4 weeks ago and haven't run since as while running I felt a tightening in the back of my ankle and calf, it was painful but I felt I had to complete the race. Ended up tearing the soleus muscle and the tendon, so take care. If its just uncomfortable run on if its pain then STOP!