Keyworth Turkey Trot Half-Marathon

Comments

• hellen - weather is looking good on the BBC site for the area - three days of sun - so let's hope it's correct. I really don't fancy ploughing through mud for 14.5 miles.

My ankle is still sore (think it has developed some mild tendonitis) but I have run the last four days to either 'kill or cure' and I think it is improving so definitely going to give it a shot. Still not looking forward to the early start though :(

Take it easy on the knee for the next couple of days. If anyone sees two people hobbling along at the back of the field, say hello!!
  • morning everyone by hell it was cold last night ,went for 6 mile run this morn ,a slight change to the routine going to see how i feel when i get up on weather should do a afternoon run .
    every body take care and keep safe
    G.F how s the hip doing ?
  • Hello St.B. Took a whole week off running, and tried again on Wed night. Managed only 1/3 mile. Hum, hip and achilles still playing-up. Got Gosport half on Sunday, so wondering how possible that's going to be.

It's a shame, because the weather is most excellent for running right now. Even the moon's out, so the nights are light.

I'll report back on Monday! Have a nice weekend everyone.
  • Afternoon all-I hope all those with injuries get well soon,you cannot be missed for the tt.

Training going fine with me,had club night on wednesday,a spot of pyramid training-1 2 4 8 4 2 1 minute bursts with a minute recovery in between bursts,oh the joys of running!!!Going for a 4mile run later today and then a 13 miler on sunday.

Hope you all get what you want over the weekend.
  • Pyramid training, pyramid training. Oh what it must be like to run without agonising pain. Maybe one day, just one day...

... anyway, hopefully I'll be fine for the TT. If not, I'll put the emphasis on the second T and take it slow. And just look like a turkey.

Hope life's treating you OK up there in bonnie Scotland. Whoops, sorry, Sunderland :-) Enjoy your weekend.
  • hellen (and anyone else doing it) - good luck for tomorrow at Seagrave. We might even get to put faces to the names.

I'm planning to get there just about 8 to allow time to register. Wondering what to wear/carry given that at was sub-zero at 9:00 this morning. Not sure whether to wear extra layers and therefore have to carry a hydration backpack for when they come off or just to go in usual winter training kit, hope I get warm before the hypothermia sets in and then get fed up with it tied round my waist for the last 10 miles. decisions decisions...
  • gf-thank you for that,things are fine in sunderland today.
  • Flanker - how did you find the seagrave? When I got up at 7.20 and looked out the window I nearly went back to bed!!! However, becasue I had paid for it I had to go. Was pleased that we were able to wait in a lovely warm room before it started. Was annoyed by all the inconsiderate walkers who started at teh front then blocked the path with walking poles whcih I nearly tripped over. Enjoyed teh first part even though it was difficult terrain. By the second check point (alegedly 10 miles but not convinced) knee was started to play up but I was determined to finish it. that last section from the second checkpoint was really tough becasue of all the mud and the pain in my knee. had to walk/run it. would have just walked it but dindt want to get cold. Was pleased to finish. It took me 3 hours 22 mins!!!!It felt like more than 14.5 miles. Later I foudn a couple of people with GPS, one said 15.5 the other 15.7.
    would have enjoyed it if it wasnt for my knees. Am now going to rest for a couple of weeks and just do some short slow runs then hopefully will be OK for TT.
    Flanker, you may have spotted me there, I was the one with two great big knee supports wearing a bright yellow long sleeved top with a barrow runners vest over the top. Were you wearing anything distinctive? Hope you enjoyed the event.
  • Hi, found it pretty much like you. Starting with the getting up at 6:00 and having very similar thoughts. And about the bloody inconsiderate walkers (I do a lot hill walking and mountaineering, and most 'proper' walkers will always give way to the fell runners)

Your race soudns like a copy of mine. Thought the first section was great and I really enjoyed it. But I stopped too long at the first checkpoint and got cold and lost my rhythm. Then at about 8(?) miles the ankle gave way on a bit of rough ground. Managed to keep going but slowed my down and made the rest of the stage less enjoyable. BY the time I got to the second check I'd stopped enjoying it - the ankle was giving serious pain and I was running by myself - and if I wasn't so stubborn I'd have given up. SO I had a long break, several cups of tea, a good natter with the few people who where there and after about 20 mins decided that if I didn't get going soon wasn't going at all. Last section I was planning to run but had lost it mentally so also did run/walk. The last section was OK as just took it very easy and enjoyed the views. I was quite surprised how soon I came back to the hall. Also pleased to finish, but not so happy with the 3:08! I was glad thought my parents are still in Lough, so I was able to go and get a shower and watch the rugby!

As ever, once I'd finished and had several cups of tea I decided I'd quiet enjoyed it after all and will do it again next year. If it is over 15, then it's the longest run I've done, so feeling quite chuffed now!!

I did see you then! I did wonder if that was you in the knee supports. Almost came over and said hello, but as there was a group of your club guys there I deided not to risk making a fool of myself!!

What was I wearing? Nothing quite so distinctive: black tights and a white (well, it was years ago) adidas long sleeve top. Oh, and about a ton of that bloody mud from the last stage.

Quite looking forward to the TT now - after that it will seem easy! Take it easy on the knees. If you still want to pre run it, I'm still keen. But see how the knee feels first.

BTW, you didn't see my hat anywhere did you? I had it at the start of the last stage but it was gone by the end!!
  • wow. that's gotta be my longest post!
  • And while we're hijacking this forum...

just got through a mail saying that the entry forms are now available for ther Belvoir Challenge. Might have to do it and see if I can beat 3.08!
  • what is a "proper walker"
  • and what is the meaning of life?????
  • Flanker, its funny you mension loosing your hat, I saw a blck fleecey looking one on teh last section. was considering picking it up and carrying it back but it was such an effort to get to the end withough thinking about carrying my watter bottel and my hat!!
    I did the saem as you, stopped too long at the 6 mile point and was cold when I went out again.
    When is the belvoir challenge. Someone I spoke to yesterday said it was similar in standard to seagrave so mihgt give it a go
  • Hellen the belvoir challenge is 25th of feb go here: http://www.belvoirchallenge.fsnet.co.uk/

looks good, i'm quite tempted....
  • Flanker

Suggest you avoid Ilkley Moor for the time being !
  • Flanker

Belvoir Challenge looks very tempting. Would consider the 15 mile run rather than the 26 mile one.
  • at the risk of getting shot down in flames... a proper walker is one who has some awareness of their surroundings and doesn't just bimble along in complete oblivion to who & what's around them <fire hose at the ready>

Mick, surely it's 42? Or has that been disproven since I was a kid?

Defintely up for the Belvoir challenge, probably the 15 miler unless I get my place for FLM and then my training might let me upgrade and do a v slow 26 miles. Printing out the form right now.

hellen, yep that sounds like my hat. But as I obviously couldn't be bothred to carry it, I can't blame you for leaving it either!
  • flanker-the meaning of life???? a good pint of guinness with a few of the lads.
  • now you're talking!
  • well nice weather forecast for thurs friday i see , a bit off snow on its way should help with the training,
  • eeeeek! I might be missing the Turkey Trot. Ran Gosport yesterday, but not properly recovered from injuries. The hip wasn't too bad, but the achilles really played up, esp. after 9 miles. My pace dropped down and I managed a 1:38, just about. Anyway, today it's agony and strapped up again. Shredded to pieces, I reckon.

I won't be running within 7 days at least. I've just had 9 days off, apart from yesterday. So by the time the TT comes up, I'll be a fat biffer. A beer swilling, shell suit wearing, pizza scoffing fat biffer. King Pie Eater. Mr. 9 chins. Running shoes swapped for slippers and a packet of B&H, that kind of thing.

Hum. Unhappy chappy today. I'm sulking, in case you're wondering. Still, there's always next season :-)
  • Sorry to hear about your injuries GF. I know how you feel - I've not run now for 16 days and am still coughing well. Don't think I will make the start line.

I ran Worksop as a "training run" and did a PB (just) but wanted to really go for a good time at the tt.

Starting to think about next year - anyone done the Vale of Belvoir half?
  • GF - really sorry your suffering old pal and hope that you do make it to the start line without going though to much pain ,and that goes for you as well keyworth gal as id like to see you both take part it will be the last half off the year,get well soon both off you ,
    G.F get yourself an indoor bike for when your eating all them pies,take care and keep us posted
  • Hey KG and St.B, thanks for your kind words. KG, maybe you could push the thoughts of training aside for now and use Keyworth itself as a training run. If I'm recovered in time, I think that's what I'll do. Might think about holding an 8.5 - 9 min pace all the way around - home in about 1:55. It'd be my slowest half ever, but better that than nothing. As it's the last of the year, it'd be nice to finish fresh and smiling rather than in agony. I'm already thinking about the Lochaber Full in April, so don't want to risk any lengthy achilles damage. So, don't count me out yet. But KG, it'd be good if you were there too, even if you don't get a PB.

In the meantime, my office is wreaking of Radian B spray. How many times will I go through the same explanation today??

Have fun all!
  • hello all
    gf and kg-sorry to hear about your injuries but dont give up just yet.As this is my last run for 2005 im going round the tt just to enjoy it.Its been a great year for running for me and the tt will be my 10th half marathon this year,ive also done a marathon.So i plan to enjoy the day and probably finish around 1hr55ms.So if you two fancy a steady morning running around keyworth on dec 11th,then give me a shout.
  • Yeah, I'm up for that Mick. If I run with someone else, then I won't be tempted to hit the gas. Hopefully I'll be fixed by then, well enough to run steady. Thanks matey.

• Hi guys,

Hope you don't mind me imposing on your thread but I'm also doing the Turkey Trot and thought I'd just say hi.

The Belviour challenge looks very interesting and it's right up my street - literally!