10 mile run

I can currently run 10 miles in between 75-78 minutes. But I would love to be able to do it in less than 60. So i've been looking at the 8 week 10 mile programs on this website and was wondering if I would be ready to have ago at the sub 60 minute program. Or should I go for the sub 70 minute program first.
I'm not a member of a club or anything, I'm just doing my own thing, running around 25 miles aweek. Some weeks more, some weeks less.
Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Comments

• I know we`re all different, but to knock 15-18 mins off a 10 miler, going from 7.30 to sub 6 min miles will take some doing. I`m 42 and hoping to knock about 3 mins off my half marathon this year and I`ve increased my weeky mileage from 25 to 35. If you set goals that you cant obtain you`ll lose motivation and start going backwards.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Have some intermediate goals, perhaps 70 minutes.
    not an expert but
    What is your longest run in training?
    Do you race other distances?

I'm sure others will be in at some point. Once they have recovered from today's endeavours
  • Aaaah, thought so. I'm trying to run before I can walk again.
    So would the sub 70 minute program be a more realistic target.
    And at 5ft 8inches and weighting 13.5 stone I would guess I'm around 2.5 stone overweight. Just what kind of differance would loosing 2.5 stone make to my time of 10 miles in 75 minutes.
    Thanks Paul
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Paul

I think we've had a couple of threads asking your last question.

Off the top of my head i think its 1-2 seconds per pound per mile
    So 2½stone = 35lb
    35lb = 35-70seconds per mile

But if you are overweight and want to lose it take it gradually because the quicker you lose it (faddy diets) the quicker you'll put it back on (with interest)
  • HAPPY WITH THAT!
    If this is the case then I could get to sub 70 minute just by cutting down on the pies.

Cheers
  • hehe.. it might not be as easy as that, but you should be able to knock down to sub-70 with training and if you get the diet right your weight will drop as you get fitter / stronger. I'd make sure you do some speed sessions as well as normal runs, to get your general speed up. Good luck :-)
  • Dan D.
    You quoted:you should be able to knock down to sub-70 with training.
    Would the Runners world 8 week 10 mile program for sub 70 minutes be sufficent for me now to get to sub 70 minutes, with my current time of around 75 minutes.

Cheers
  • Paul - How is the training going and have you managed to crack mins ?
  • Cheers Gary for showing an interest.

I hav'nt timed myself over 10 miles for ages. Infact I try not to time myself at all it makes me nervious for some reason.
    But I do sometimes time myself over 3 and 6 miles. Ladt time I did 3 miles in 20:20 and 6 miles at around 43 mins. Im still the same weight though. It just wont go.

Cheers Paul
  • Hi I have just entered the Great South Run which gives me 23 days to train. I am pretty fit and run approx 20miles per week up until the last two weeks where I have only been out once for a 6mile run.
    I have never raced 10 miles before, plenty of 10k races, just wondered if anyone had any tips or training ideas for the next 23 days.
  • just increased your runs by a mile at a time,you will be ok,B1
  • Penny,

I would say don't push it too hard and over do it. I find that when you have established a pace that you are comfortable with then run at that pace for 75% of your training runs. If you are not out of breath at the end of your run then then the only thing that may affect you is muscle stamina. Try to do the race distance for one run per week, or further if you can, that way you should be comfortable when you come to the big day. Good luck...!
  • Penny I'm at the same stage as you but managed the 10 miles this week. Its a great moral boost but I plan to now carry on as I am doing 20ish miles a week as I don't want to push it and end up hurting myself. I walk the dog most days for about an hour as well so am confident I can get round. Time is not important. Have a great time on the day - just watched the GNR and hoping it will be as good. (did the 10 mile in about 85mins so that's not too bad)
  • hi i'm just about to go out and do my sunday run which would normally be 10-12 miles off road and hilly usually takes about 1hr 25 mins.As i am running the grt south 10mile race next weekend not sure how to taper? Its a lovely day and was weirdly looking forward to my grueling sunday mud run through ploughed feilds and muddy hill climbs eec!!
    also while ia m here not sure either what time to aim for in the race. I have ran it in 1hr 5 mins and a dissapointing 1hr 7mins 2 yrs ago. I am 45 1/2 running 27-30 miles per wk (compared to 45-50 miles when i did 65mins 3years ago. not raceed for over a year when could just about 40mins for 10k. Anybody got any encouraging ideas to help keep me motivated please.
  • I am an unnafiliated female runner who loves to run
  • I'm slower than that but am doing 5,4,3 this week and plan to run it by staying comfrotable incase the wind is up along the seafront and I need all my reserves. Enjoy the race though and good luck!
  • thanks beatty for your reply. That sounds good but at what level will you be doing your runs at? Thats where i have a problem, not knowing whether to do shorter runs fast or all of my runs easy. I am a creature of habit and tend to do 1 long run (did 10-11 on sunday) speed session, and a medium (7miles)threshold run.
    good luck in the race too what time are you hoping for.
    does anyone have an idea of time i should aim for so i can pace myself. like beatty have found that last mile along seafront touph.
  • I'm about 1.30 - 1.35 for 10 miles depending on the hills but I've only been doing those distances for a short time (only running for 6 months and 50 next year!). I tried doing faster runs but didn't get on that well and was told that as I was only doing 20-24 miles a week, the mileage wasn't really enough to introduce it yet. I'm going to increase the mileage with one much longer as what I had been doing was stepping up each run and staying within a easy pace. I'm going to aim for 9.5 minute miles and adjust as and when. I've not run the seafront but used to live down in Gosport so know the solent winds very well! Good luck - let me know how you do.
  • To go from 73 minutes to 60 is a challenge. I would suggest you will not do it on 25 miles a week. I have run sub 58, when recovering from injury (4 months out) I still manage 65 minutes - jogging.

You should look at increasing training (over time) to at least 5 sessions per week. You will need to include a long run of 15 miles and be working on 10k speed.

If you find a group to run with it would help a lot. Fast 15 milers hurt unless you are with others.
  • Paul, I think you'd be pushing it a bit, I've knocked nearly six minutes of my first Great South run time but it took three years and a lot of effort, join a club and get some support and coaching, it makes a difference.
  • A few years back, RW published Bruce Tulloh's 100 steps to fitness, with step 100 being "run 10m in 60 mins". I can't remember the other 99, but there were lots of intermediate goals. The idea was that in order to run 10 in 60, you have to run 4 in 24 first. Then train to run 5 in 30. Then 10k in 37. And so on.
    In other words, you have to put in the speedwork to get quick, plus some regular longer runs to get the stamina up.
    Once you can knock out 5 in 30 without trying, then 10 in 60 is realistic. Otherwise you may wish to have a different target.
  • Big C - Do you have a link to that article?

Would fit in well with an ongoing discussion over on Sub 3 thread.
  • Sub 60 10 miler sounds like a tall order. It could take you a couple of years.

I can run 70 min 10 miles on no training at all but would take 12 months of solid training to get below the hour.
  • Just to stir things up..
    I've run 58 mins 10 miler off just 20 mpw with no runs in training longer than 7 miles.
  • am quite new to running just started training for my first marathon in june 2nd ive always run pretty quick 5 k times in training but have never raced jet last night i ran 10 mile for the first time in a time of 1 hour 3 mins is this a good time the course i ran was quite hilly only bad patch i hit was about mile 7 but it was on the biggest hill of the route the last 2 mie i felt super strong and quick is this a good time for 10 mile and how can i improve thanks