Keyworth Turkey Trot Half-Marathon

Comments

• santa came early and left me with a pb for abbey dash yesterday. 41 24 and i feel great,if only i could get my half marathon down to 1.30 please please .

c-d- question for you out off all those races you,ve done,which has the best memory for you,and if you could only do one off them next year which would it be.

g-f your sounding in a better mood are we on the mend at last ,i was telling mick from scotland (sorry)that i was thinking off doing a marathon next year(my first)i hav,nt made my mind up yet going to wait while the new year . but you never know might just line up with you on that one
  • heres one for you how many pairs off trainers do,es CD go through in a year ?
  • Well done with the PB, St.B. I'm guessing that's for a 10K. I'm not sure how many pairs of trainers he gets through, or indeed, whether there's time to take them off at any point!

As for me, I think I'm forced to miss the TT. It's been a week since Gosport, and the achilles is nowhere near runnable. I reckon another week before beginning another slow build-up to my long runs (18.5M). So the TT would interfere with that, and risk me carrying the injury for another month. I think I'm going to shift focus to the spring, particularly Lochaber.

I'm disappointed because I was going to take the TT at an enjoyably slow pace, as it was the last race of the year. I've had enough injuries this year to know when to back-off though, and that time is now.

Best of luck to everyone else though! Hope you enjoy the race, and the winners, their turkies.
  • SB

Four Villages Half Marathon my first half.
    On my second pair of trainers this year. Run sometimes on a treadmill during the week which does not wear as hard as road running.How many miles should I be looking at from a pair of shoes ? 500 ?

GF

I am pretty tired after a 1/2 cannot get my head around doing double the distance. Plus comments like when you get to 20 miles you are only half way there. Also some of my friends build up to a full marathon and then do not run much after that. In 2006 will be looking to tackle 12 different halfs and also more trail races. There is a Mablethorpe Marathon in September which looks tempting. Much of my enjoyment is the places I visit and the scenery of the runs, its like a high speed ramble.
  • Hey CD, you seem to strike a good balance between the seriousness of racing and a nice day out, so stick with it.

400-500 miles is reasonable for a pair of trainers. Although I replace my trainers approx 150 miles prior to their theoretical end of life. Then I wear the old ones in bad weather, and the new ones in good weather. By doing that, you know exactly when to bin your old trainers, because there will be a noticeably different feel between the two pairs. Voila!

My long runs are 18.5M, and I feel better after those than any half mara races. It's down to pace, so if you slow-up a little, you'd be surprised at what you can achieve. With some long runs in training, your full mara potential is 2:04 x 2 + 10 = 4hrs 18mins. That's respectable eh?
  • GF

Forgot to say that I have two pairs of running shoes on the go one for road and one for trail.

I have changed my strategy on half marathons and set a target of 9 minute miles for a steady even run around. I have enjoyed them more for doing that. Having said that I find the early miles I'm ahead of the time and "give away" the time later on.

Sorry you are not joining us for the TT best of luck with your training for Lochaber.
  • Morning Turkeys!

On Sunday we went and did a recce of the course (or most of it, having managed to get lost!). Observations as follows:

1. Don't worry about hills. Can't speak for the one at about mile 3 (which we missed, having got lost). Apart from that, the course is not hilly. One or two gentle undulations, but no real hills to worry about.

2. Course is attractive, scenic, and, IMHO, well planned. None of the roads had heavy traffic on Sunday. Parts of the course are exposed, so could get tough if it is windy.

3. Points to watch: On your way back you pass through Widmerpool. You'll see a sign saying 'Keyworth 2', which will make your heart leap. Ignore it, because right at that junction you get sent off to the right (east), on what looks like the road to nowhere. This could be very psycologically destructive if you are not ready for it.

You then turn left (north-west) off that road, and are faced by what looks like a biggish hill. As you get to it, you see that it is in fact a longish shallow drag. Fix in your mind that it is the last hill.

All in all, should be OK. One or two posts on here have talked up the circuit as if it is a killer. It isn't (subject to point abnout wind, above).

Enjoy!

John
  • Thanks JF..all reassurance and insider info gratefully received.

PB at Leeds for me too St B, sadly nowhere as impressive as yours. 61.40, but 2 mins off old best so I can't grumble.
  • Mick The Mackem - G'day sir - How are you keeping? Boycs calling from GCR thread last month. We met up after the GCR and had a nice chinwag. I remembered you saying that you were doing the TT as your final race of 2005 so I thought I'd look you up and wish you well for the race. You're a very wise man by looking to take it easy and enjoy this one. After all of your efforts of this year, you make sure you put your feet up, have a Guinness or two and take it easy at Christmas. That said, I hope the North Sea isn't too cold on Boxing Day!! Do you know yet whether you've got a place in next years FLM?

Chris Day - my word, you have been a busy bunny this year haven't you - good on yer!! The only other races that I could suggest that either you haven't done previously or that haven't already been suggested to you are the Liverpool 1/2 (March) or Ellesmere 10 (May). L'pool is not exactly rural (except for about 5 miles in Sefton Park) but it is a good race. Ellesmere is organised by Doug Morris, who is the same chap that does such a good job at Lake Vyrnwy. Despite being a relatively small field (approx 150), this is a very scenic and pleasant 10 miler. Hope this is of some use for you.

P.S. I note what you say about feeling tired after a half and can readily identify with that. I too share your mindset about doing the same again in order to go the whole hog and do the big one! However, I'm going to have to find a way of getting my head around this as I've been offered a charity place for next years FLM. As much as I know that it is going to be extremely hard work, I've decided to give it a go. I reckon it's a great chance to take part in what has become a wonderful event and I don't want to pass up a chance to have taken part. (I might not be saying that next April though!!)

I've got one event left for this year - the Santa Dash around L'pool city centre this Sunday. They're going for a world record of 4,000 people dressed in full Santa outfits, beards and all, running 5K around the city!!Should be a sight to behold and a good fun way to round off the years racing! After that, I'm in hibernation (well, ticking over with 6 milers)in readiness for the training programme to commence after Christmas!!

Good luck to all of you who are taking part in the TT, you have my admiration for still competing into December and doing battle with the inclement weather. Fingers crossed for some decent conditions for you on the day and I hope Santa brings you all that you wish for!!
  • Boycs

Thanks for the information. I will check those races out.

Best of luck with the FLM.

• well GF iam gutted friend sorry you can,t make it, it was one battle i thought you,d win ,even if it had been at a slower pace not to be take care and get the rest you need we all no how frustrating laid up can be ,and come out fighting next year .

JARS-well done on that pb ,and now we concertrate on the longer version

CD thanks for your answers going to try the four villages next year ,

well i hope the rest off are injured manage to pull throw hellen hows the knees ? and keyworth gal got rid off virus yet
  • knees still not right. Am thinking that it coudl be lack of glucosamine so have got some more and taking it today. could also be the cold weather so am thinking of wearing a tubby grip type thing even when not running just to keep it warm.
    Have just orderd some magnetic knee strap thinggy cos was reading about them and they sounded worth a try. It is meant to speed up healing and prevent injury and at 12.99 it is far cheaper than a new pair of shoes/pysio or whatever. Am waiting on an appointment to see my podiatrist again but that will probably not be for several months. Am hoping that some GLuc and Chron, a bit of rest,lots of stretches and strengthening exercises and some magnets will help.
    Ran on sun but stopped after 3 miles cos got pain.
  • I'm glad that at least some people managed to get into FLM. Got home tonight to find the nice people in London had sent me a fleece :(

Was meant to be going out tonight for an 8-miler, but I seem to have lost the enthuiasm now. Just hoping it comes back in time for the TT.
  • OK then flanker, look forward to seeing you at Lochaber. Same day as London, only with fresh air and better scenary.
  • ..."scenery", sorry. If you want cheering-up flanker, go to the Lochaber forum and delight at the FLM rejectees jumping for joy at the chance to run Lochaber instead.

hellen, just a thought... have you given your knees a complete rest? I mean for example, no running for a month? Sometimes persistent long-term injuries respond really well to total rest. Even short easy runs can be enough to bring them on again, until they're properly fixed. I had an injury like that earlier this year. 4 miles was enough to start it up again. Everyone's different I guess, but I'd be surprised if food supplements will bring the cure you're looking for. It's the mechanics that need fixing, not the chemistry... surely?

Anyway, hope you sort yourself out soon, and get back to enjoyable running.
  • thanks G-F. If it wasnt for this TT I would rest my knees but as it gets closer and my knees get no better I am startgin to think that I may not be running it afterall. Once I have been persuaded that I wont be running it and convinced myself that is the right thing to do I will beable to rest.
    my prob is that I have good intensions of not doing any running then get to the gym and am tempted to try the treadmill. It is really odd but I maanged 30 mins on sun outside and 1 minute on the treadmill yesterday. My knee was giving me trouble yesterday just walking into town which makes me think it is the cold weather.
    have been reading up on my condition (runners knee) and I think I must have done some carilage damage. Previosly my knee might have hurt at the end of a long run then a day or twos rest and I am fine. I think what happened at Worksop is that I ran on it hurting for longer than usual so did quite a lot of damage whcih I suppose takes time to heal. then at seagrave I ran on it hruting for ages so that would have done more damage.
    I am now wearing a tubby grip to keep my knee warm; am overdosing on glucosamine and iberprofen and have ordered some of those magnet things which are meant to promote healing of the cartilage.
    In addition am stretching and strenghtnening loads to prevent it happening again.
    Am still wanting to do the TT but will have to see. I think that if I knew the weather was going to be hideous for it then that would be enough to persuade me not to do it. I dont know what it is but now that I have entered I really dont want to pull out. I suppose there is always next year but I am worried that if I pull out and rest for a month or two I will not get back up to where I was - I know that for most of you where I am is not that great but for me a half marathon is a big achievment
    anyway, enough moaning, I expect I am not the only one feeling cxx today after all the FLM reject letters.
  • Hey, cheer up! I hurt my hip at Worksop, and I know where and how. There was a section through Clumber park (I think at 11 miles) where the path was heavily cambered. Because I had flu and was off-form, it was enough to injure me. Never had a problem like that before. Runners knee isn't so different, and can be agitated in the same way.

I've injured my achilles now, but I know that if I push it, I could run the TT. But I've decided to invest in the long term, rather than re-injure myself and lose out on my spring marathon. Couldn't you consider the same? Realistically, will you be choosing from these options:

(1) Run the TT off-form, not enoy it, worry about the knees. Hurt them, and extend the injury right through into the spring.

(2) Not run the TT, be a bit disappointed, but be looking forward to the spring where you'll be fit a ready to start a fresh season.

(3) Run the TT, no problem whatsoever with the knees, both during or after the race.

From what you say, there is no option 3. So in that case, really, really think about option (2).
  • G-F, might well follow your advice and go for Lochaber. It will depend how many of the normal training have got into FLM. If there's a fair few I'll train with them and do Lochaber.

hellen, <teacher mode on> do the sensible thing & if in any doubt don't risk the knees for the TT. There are still a fair few races around the region over Dec and Jan that you could do instead once you've recovered. We will, of course, expect you to come along and cheer for the rest of us!!!
  • How does this race compare with say Worksop and Clowne ? I have a feeling it may be harder than Worksop but easier than Clowne.

Am I right ?
  • evening all

boycs-aye thanks for the support matey,looking to take it easy at the tt after really enjoying my running this year.Glad you,ve got a place for the FLM,go out and enjoy it.Ive no doubt you will.Take care in the santa dash in liverpool,i,ll put money on an evertonion running in a BLUE outfit!!!!As of today still no cheque cashed for the FLM,so im not to hopeful,but there is a couple of charities who,ve said they,ll have me plus my running club has 3 places which I have to put my rejection letter from the Flm into a hat and be drawn out to get a place.So still hopeful.Ive also got my place for the Edinburgh marathon on june 11th and plan to do the Dublin marathon on oct 30th as well as the GNR,great scottish and great cumbrian runs.Take care mate and all the best for 2006.

GF-Whats gannon on mate???-no tt for you,so me and theeee cannot go round together.Im sick for you mate but you,ve probably made the right move.

As for training-everything is ok-did 11 mile on sunday and 5 mile tonight with the running club training session tomorrow,5x6mins bursts with 3 mins recovery in between bursts!!!!Then this sunday will be my last long run of 12 mile then nowt all next week.

Plod on folks.
  • Yeah, sorry Mick. It's about 80% certain that I'll miss it. If things change, I'll update the thread. To be honest, I've not felt much discomfort today, but with only one half mara run in the last 3 weeks, that's not much training. Might be pushing my luck for a relapse unless I ramp up gradually. Good luck on the day though matey, I'll still be visiting the forum to see how you're all getting on!
  • CD - can't believe the number of races you have done this year. I've only managed 6 and 4 of them were in one fortnight!

Not going to make the start line on the 11th. My daughter has kindly given me her cold - just as I thought I was getting better. Haven't run now for 4 weeks and only 16 KM this month! We had the opportunity to have flu jabs at work yesterday and they refused to give me one because of my current state of health.

Not sure whether I will come out and watch or hide and sulk! Maybe if it is good weather and I'm feeling better I will come out on the tandem if one of my terrible two fancy a ride.
  • another one bits the dust,someone once told me these things come in threes i hope for once my old gran is wrong ,
    right the rest off us wrap our selfs in cotton wool and hide and do not answer the door.
    kg- sorry your going to miss it i hope your well enough to at least cheer us on,
    please please nobody else
  • I wonder if the organisers let us transfer our numbers. I'm happy to post mine Fre-of-charge to anyone who needs it, providing they tell the organisers of the name change. If someone wants my number, and is prepared to contact the organiser, hit the "E-Mail Member" link above this posting and let me know. Shame to see it wasted.
  • hello all

gf-aye your probably right mate to rest and take it easy but keep in touch marra.

just to make you sick, it was a cracking session last night with the running club.I t went really well and i feel im not far away from hitting form for tt.Sorry to mention that to those of you injured!!!!!
  • "Nay problem Mick" - see I'm getting the hang of this!

If you're about to reach your peak, then it's probably a good job I'm not running alongside you! You may decide to blow the 1:55 idea!

Good luck next week! I'll keep in touch.
  • hi flanker, hows the ankle? Are you fully recovered from seagrave?
    Still cant run, did 1 minte on treadmill last ngiht and had to stop. Had a painful massage as well, she said the muscles around my knees were really tight. Had an hour and she didnt even get to all the leg muscles cos the areas she worked on were so bad. Not sure how I have got into this sorry state of affairs.
    am now overdosing on glucosamine and stretching a lot more. Looks like I will not be running the TT unless I maage to have a decent run at the weekend but that is unlikley. Need to try to tell myself hat if I do the TT I will probably slow down my recovery and maybe not beabel to run for months.
    I think if I can find some good races to look forward to in the new year I mihgt feel a bit better about not doing the TT
    I had no idea I woudl feel like this not being able o run. Am feeling quite low and consequently eating too much and getting fat. Am still going to the gym but it doesnt give me the same sense of satisfaction as a nice long run.
  • Hey cheer-up hellen. Just give your legs the rest they need, and before you know it, you'll be doing your long runs again. It makes sense for you to miss the TT, and I'm missing it too. There's loads more races, so it's not the end of the world.
  • Hellen

Do not even think about a 13 mile run at this stage. You will do yourself long term damage. Rest. Then identify the cause of the problem. Until that happens, you just make things worse.

In the meantime use the bike (static, mountain, or road). It's more fun than running (hoo-that should stir 'em up). It's also excellent run training, particularly for the quads (ie, hill perforamnce) I've run (and done OK in) several running races purely on bike training. Keep the gears low, and spin, (this is really important) and it's fine on the knees.

Don't run seriously till you've found the cause of the problems. You may need to experiment a bit to do this.

John

John

John