Options

New Year Box Hill Knacker Cracker 12k

I know this run a way off yet, but I am intrigued...
This seems like a great race for achievement and pride, and would be very interested in running it. With the added 40% i should be under 80mins. But with only 50 runners permitted, is this a die-hard members only type run??
Is this all a mute point as the postal closing date was 1 Jan 05??

Comments

• Options
    FE never done this race but I have done its sister race the Midsummer Munro twice. The knacker Cracker is run pretty much over the same course as the Munro (the Munro is an out and back).

You can't underestimate the hills. Very tough climbs up and down Box Hill. But the scenery is lovely, the atmosphere always fab, the other runners very friendly and it will be a great way to start the year. You still got time to get some hill training in...
  • Options
    Hello (organiser here).

The maximum number for the race has been increased to 100 (courtesy of the National Trust). Parking is available around 100 metres from the start (free). Groups will go off in five minute staggered starts, according to estimated finish time, with everyone finishing at around the same time. There will be a t-shirt, soup, medal, race momento and food at the end.

See you there?!

rob
  • Options
    I really love the video of the last run and feel really inspired by it. So, as I live on Boxhill, I followed the 12k route. I discovered new bits of the hill, I got lost, it was hard work, and people look at you as if your crazy. (Running up the steps is a killer, and there are sets on either side of the hill).

• Options
    Fuzzy Eagle

I will be there (chest infections permitting) and will probably be around the 80 mins mark, we can carry the spoon together :-)

Dr R
    You'll have my dosh shortly.
  • Options
    Hi Josie,

If you can't run, we're always looking out for marshals!

rob
  • Options
    Josie, you may have to pull me 'round with the spoon.....
    I'm getting more and more tempted to sign up, just worried about my knees exploding half way 'round and the fact i want to do the Tadworth Ten the week after.
    But as they say "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger".
  • Options
    Could be tempted...loved the Munro :o)
  • Options
    I assume off-road trainers are more recommended for the Cracker than standard running shoes.
  • Options
    The National Trust stipulates 'No spikes.' Something with a bit of grip would be useful, although I've run the course with absolutely no problems in ordinary running shoes. If it has been raining (just a possibility) then it may well be slippy.
  • Options
    Just noticed the postal closing date as 1st Oct?! Is this because its online entry only and are there still places??
    I've discided to have a go at this bad boy (my wife thinks i'm mad). Now need to find some steep hills to practice on....
  • Options
    Entry is on-line only (via RW), so the postal deadline was 'moot.' There are still places!

Feedback from previous runners suggests that working on upper body/arm fitness will also be useful....
  • Options
    Cheers Dr R.
    Is the upper body to help climb up the hills?? This race is gonna hurt isn't it.....
    I'll be signing up for the fun 2moro.
  • Options
    Fuzzy

Its gonna hurt, no doubt about it but the views are so spectacular and the people so friendly and encouraging that its a fantastic way to start the year!

Im in the Tadworth 10 the week after as well so I can guarentee you won't be last in either!
  • Options
    Good stuff HC.
    I've now signed up for both Cracker and Tadworth.
    One hell of a way to start the new year...
  • Options
    I've entered too!

Must be mad....can't I find anything else to do on New Years Day, other than drive up the M23 and then run up a steep mountain...all in the name of fun!
  • Options
    Looking forward to starting the year off with this event but am a slow plodder rather than a racing snake and whats this about a spoon ???
  • Options
    The race is run on a handicap basis: the slowest runners go off first, followed five minutes later by the next group and so on, until the fastest group goes off 35 minutes behind the leaders. At the top of the first hill, the person at the back is given a wooden spoon. If they then manage to pass anyone else, they get to hand it over, and so on. In this way, the person at the back of the field always has the wooden spoon. It worked last year!
  • Options
    Oh well I might end up with the spoon for some time then!!!
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Dr Robert,

Sorry, wont be there this time, our XC league is on that day as well and as Club XC captain cant really give any excuses, youll all be in my thoughts though.

Probably the hardest race I have ever done, but no doubt the best, hope to be there for the mid summer munro though...

Enjoy:-)
  • Options
    Walked the route this weekend.....this is gonna be tough!! It was tough work just walking it. My wife thought i was mad signing up for the KC, but now she thinks i'm insane.
    Hope there's lots of arrows, went wrong way few times. And yes those steps are gonna be the "hardest run you've ever done".
    Is the run re-routed if the stepping stones are iced over / unable to cross, or just wade through river??
    Looking forward to the challenge, this isn't about time, its about finishing (those two trees will look so good).
  • Options
    If the stepping stones are underwater, you just retrace your course back over the footbridge and back up the hill. (Although two years ago, a few foolhardy runners went over them anyway, underwater or not).

I will try to make the course foolproof (but it's impossible to make it idiot proof!).

Is anyone interested in a jog-through of the course..maybe on 17 or 18 December?
  • Options
    I could be tempted to!
    Let me know details. Are you running the Hogs Back the weekend before?
    Gavin
  • Options
    Can't make the Hog's Back- cracking race though, strongly reccommended. If I get enough feedback, I'll arrange a run-through on 17 or 18 December.
  • Options
    im interested in a run through on those dates , can some one let me know more ... cheers darren
  • Options
    Hi all!!

Wow, your all completely bonkers!!

Any places left? x...... boing
  • Options
    How does it compare with the G3 please in terms of difficulty?
  • Options
    Hello All,

There will be a pre-race run through on Sunday 18 December, starting at 11am. This will be entirely for route reconnaisance and familiarity: it will be slow, and we will be stopping! We will cover the route in around 90-100 minutes (ie, we'll be going as slow as the slowest runner). We may be able to break into two groups, faster and slower.

If anyone is interested, just meet at the bottom of the Zig Zag Road, up the road from Ryka's cafe: we will set off at 11am. Obviously there's no charge. You do not have to let us know if you will be there.

I am also keen to enlist some more marshals for the day itself. They receive the race momento and post-race tuck, and major kudos from all competitors. They will be needed from 11am-around 1pm on the day. Please email me if you are interested in marshalling - thanks!
  • Options
    Would like to come but G3 on 17th and I am not expecting a lot to be left in the tank so if you can give an indication of how hard? EG is it from the caff straight up the hill no zig zags and back down again?
  • Options
    Got the final race of Ronhill Classic on 18th so can't make the pre-race run.

I found just walking the KC route v usefull, you'll know when hills end/start and know what to leave in the tank for the last few miles.

DBoy, it starts straight up the hill and finishes back down again, just a few undulating miles in-between.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone, Just entered this with my mate Brian, looks bloody hard work & I can't wait and the bonus is it will keep me off the sauce on New Years Eve.

I hope to make the run on the 18th as well.

Dr Robert- I put down 1h 30m on the entry form but I have no idea of my time, I don't want to be a Bandit so if I want to change thisto something quicker, will it be a problem?

Regards

Nick