Options

Fundraising

Just got my rejection letter, am now thinking about applying through a charity but am worried about raising the amount of money they ask for. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Don't think i'm in and have applied for a charity place so looking for fundraising ideas too

Do you have a kind boss (will they match whatever you raise sponsorship wise mine doesn't)

Will be back later.
  • Options
    I think I'm gonna just go for it, really want to run now. Just found this page which makes me feel a bit more hopeful that I could actually do it!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1122
  • Options
    Some good tips there. Thanks
    ;o)
  • Options
    Bit worried I've left it too late to raise that much money...
  • Options
    I've not started yet.

Apart from asking the boss

Bit nervous.
  • Options
    Had a Gold Bond place last year but had to pull out due to injury. I felt fairly sure I could raise the sponsorship as i"m lucky enough to have my own business where my clients would be very generous but one thing crossed my mind.....What would any charity do to you if you didn't raise what you had promised to? Not much I think.
    Get a place and raise what you can.
  • Options
    I have a golden place with kidney research uk - I had to sumbit a guarantor form, so if i dont raise the money looks like my dad will have to! Maybe other charities will be different?

That might have been because I'm a student, my charity were wary about me raising much as students are traditionally tight (unless beer is involved). But i've raised almost £800 so far, over 4months which isn't bad.
  • Options
    Dani-
    "What would any charity do to you if you didn't raise what you had promised to? Not much I think. Get a place and raise what you can."

I have to disagree with this. Golden bonds are for people who want to raise the amount requested for a charity they care about. If you think you are unlikely to raise the amount requested then leave the GB place for someone who will. Or be prepared to make up the difference yourself.
    It should not be a question of whether the charity is going to chase you up for the shortfall. You can always keep trying the ballot in future years (even if you are unlucky, after 5 consecutive rejections you get in anyway), or enter another marathon instead.
  • Options
    Hi everyone, this is my first post on the RW forum! I started running in June this year and I am running my first FLM in 2006. I started running as a way to lose weight cheaply after having 2nd baby in May, and ended up aiming for a 5K run in September (the HydroActive 5k in Birmingham) in order to raise money for the Tuberous Sclerosis Association (my 1st child was born with TS). I raised £1700 and was amazed with how easy it actually was! I asked everyone to sponsor me, and set up a justgiving webpage from the TS association's website, which raisesd nearly £600 alone, mainly from strangers with a connection to TS!

I am now a bit scared that I may not reach the same amount as I feel that I am asking the same people to sponsor me again not long after the 5k, I need to raise £450 to cover cost of place, and then extra to actually raise money for the TSA. I have a target of £2000, but the minimum the TSA are hoping for is about £1000. They only had one place available, and believe it or not noone else wanted to do it. The TSA is not a high profile charity by any means, and the reality is that not many people would have known that they had a FLM GB place at all.

I agree with Mr L in that it is good if you are running for charity to do it for something you believe in, It certainly gives me the motivation I need everytime I look at my son! However, some larger charities have a huge number of GB places and often have them for sale to other charities as they can't fill them all, so any help you can give them really would be appreciated.

After all this rambling, what i really wanted to say is good luck everyone with fundraising, and it is not too late to start now .... I havn't started yet! It took me 2 months to raise £1700 with relatively little effort - give everyone you know a sponsor form (and get the money upfront if you can). Go for it!
  • Options
    'some larger charities have a huge number of GB places and often have them for sale to other charities as they can't fill them all, '

Bit surprised at that? I guess I don't know for all charities but I know that two of the main charities for this year's FLM, British Heart Foundation and Stroke Association both have many more applications for gold bond places than they have places. Are you sure about that?

Anyway, I guess as long as money goes to good causes that's the main thing. Good luck on your fundraising. And I hope I'm as sucsesful! (I'm running for the Stroke Association)
  • Options
    Rowan, I the experience I have had through charity fundraising is that the main 'sponsor' charities for events such as the FLM are always, as you correctly say, inundated with people applying for GB places, this is mainly due to publicity from the adverts they have on websites such as this and in magazines. But a lot of the 'middle size' charities who are not quite so high profile often have quite a few GB places, but don't get the applicants for them, mainly because runners don't know about them, so they sell them to other charities who have the queues of people to take them.

I would presume that all charity places avaliable in any one year are eventually filled one way or another, and ultmately all charities feel they benefit, either by selling a place that would otherwise remain unfilled, or getting someone to run for them. If not it is a real shame as looking at the forums on this website, it seems that many people are disappointed every year by not getting in to the FLM, when there are charities who would be happy with the minimum amount you could raise rather than nothing at all.