Morning or evening

Is it just me or does anybody else find it a little easier to run in the evenings rather than the mornings (anything up to lunch time actually).

Any ideas as to why this may be?

I have always assumed that I ran better after being fuelled with calories all day.

Comments

• There are several articles in recent editions of RW about this.I also find the evening much easier. I think the article mentions that the body needs time to warm up and become fully awake and that if you do go running in the morning do so after 2 hours of waking up and having eaton something. For those of us who work that would mean waking up at 4AM ....something I for one am nort that keen to try...I think I will stick to the evening !
  • Loads of tefal heads reckoon that running between 3 and 7 pm is the optimum for humans, something to do with muscles, ligaments and tendons are slightly stretchier (!) and that you're circadian cycle is best suited to this time for exercise, I hasten to add that this probably does'nt apply to everyone there are some folks who can perform better in the morning (running that is).
  • I can't cope with mornings, the whole 'left/right' thing just seems very comlicated. And I consider myself a morning person, mentally. I'm certainly less flexible for the first few hours after waking. Lots of books say you should try and run in the morning and get the old metabolic rate up to get the benefit for the rest of the day, but I just end up with a dehydration headache and a slightly smug feeling.
  • I'm not to fussed

Mornings a quite often swim with early weekend runs or bikes

Lunch times Gym, Swim Or Bike

Evenings Run or Bike
  • I prefer evenings, too, but it's a bit of a bummer running in the dark in the winter time. Where I used to work, I was able to go running at lunch-time (we even had a shower in the building). That was a great!
  • I can only do mornings. Think it's because I have IBS (theory coming up V-rap!) and once I've consumed any food whatsoever I feel unspeakably tired. So, 6am, empty stomach.
  • I'm a morning shambler except for Wednesday because I've now found a partner (via this wonderful web site) - we're due to meet for our first outing next week. Can't go out at lunch time as I work just off Tottenham Court Road and the running round here is very fumy, also we have no shower at the office and I'm a bit of a Sweaty Betty, I'm afraid. Working in London and living in Woking means that I have no choice but to run in the dark at either end of the day in the winter - apart from Sundays of course!

So, do what feels right for you and ENJOY!

Happy Shambler!
  • I love running in the mornings and during the summer even ran 13 miles on an empty stomach and a bit of a hangover and felt great (or no worse than if I ran later in the day)

Now mornings are taken up with getting the little darlings to school so I have to fit a run in early evening. Which isn't so bad but the temptation to lose the tight window so it has to be done tomorrow is often difficult to resist. In the morning I'm up, in my kit and out the door before I can think of a good reason not to !
  • yeah, youve got it over and done with in the morning, and feel good all day, and get less abuse as nonone else is awake
    But the trots semm to be much worse, and I have to get up before 6 to fit everything in
  • Me too, Benz, on all comments!

Shambling In The Dark!
  • Feels weird doesnt it
    Cant wait for the clocks to go back, cant believe it
  • Evenings definitely, I start work at 7am with a 40 minute drive to get there, and I'm not really an early morning person so can't face getting up at 4am every day to run - though I did actually do that when training for Ironman, found I didn't have time to fit in all the training otherwise. Was permanently tired! Not for me if avoidable.
  • 4 am?!!!!
    Only when Im desperate
  • I love to run in the morning its the best time, the air is fresh, birds are twitering, people still in bed, streets to myself, great.
    The odd time I have to run in the afternoon/evening I just cant get into it, it seems strange, dont get me wrong I will run anywhere anytime but I still prefer early mornings, especially when there is a nice frost, hello Doctor ! ! ! ! ! !
  • Youll like brass monkeys then
  • Yup I see plenty of the little blighters
  • And pheasents which fly up in your face as run past and scare the life out of you,
    oh and little bunny wunnies, arghhhhhhh...oh and the smell of pig/horse/cow poo,
    as you can tell I run a lot in the countryside.......
  • If I have the choice I like to run about mid-day time. Failing that, the morning is best, so long as I remember to get some liquid down me beforehand to stave off the worst effects of dehydration.
  • I love early morning runs, any later and I find too many excuses!! Feels safer somehow, even off road when it's lighter.
  • I'm out the door and running by 06:15 on 3 mornings a week, I find I get a lot more work done on run days and am able to think a lot clearer.

Dodging the dog poos during the dark winter mornings can be a bit troublsome but the peace and quietness, lack of abusive kids and light trafic make up for that.
  • I work part-time, so I go out for my runs between 9 and 10 am. This is a nice time to run as I can eat some cereal first thing in the morning (6:30 or 7am) and have enough time to "wake up" before going out. When I worked full time I ran right after work and I found that to be difficult, because I was tired from work and demotivated. Have done a few "wake up and go out 15 minutes later" runs. Did this when on vacation in Italy and it was a little tough on the legs, but beautiful to watch the sunrise over Lake Como. Not to mention the gorgeous Italian cyclist who shouted at me from across the road. Made it all worth while really.
  • When I first started running I'd run mornings before uni - course I was getting up at 5am in order to get an hour's running in followed by shower, breakfast, etc prior to an 8am class.

No, I don't know why I did it either.

Now I prefer evenings; it was nice to run in sunshine at 9pm during summer, and now autumn's in full swing it's ever-so-slightly warmer in the evening. It's also because I've heard the same advice as others above regarding evening rather than morning being a better time to run.
  • I struggle to get myself going for a 10 oclock race start so any earlier is a definite no no. It takes my body about 3 hours to wake up properly. Despite the warnings about spoiling sleep I can run at 10 oclock at night and still get a good nights sleep.
  • I find I feel better, and sleep easier, following an evening run. Even after a day when I feel completely run down, I know that if I go for a run or a bike ride I'll come back feeling a lot better than when I left.

Anyone else have any comments about how they feel after running at a particular time of day, or what time of day is your favorite to run at (rather than what time is most convenient)?
  • Early mornings are great, not many cars, no kids, just you the birds and animals, just the way I like it.
    Only thing is when it gets to late afternoon/evening you dont feel as though you have run as it was so long ago and get the urge to run again.......

• Ax, my favourite time on a non work day is starting about 3pm especially if doing a 2 hour long run through the fields and alongside the rivers and canals. the sun has passed its hottest time and it's a great feeling to run in the dappled shade of the trees. So not only do I get a great feeling from running but also from the surroundings.
  • I was out running at 8.00 am this morning and you would be supprised at the number of runners out at that time, it been a sunday as well.........
  • Not in Wales they dont
    Its dead before 10am
    Must be all the partying we do