Pregnant runners' club

Comments

• Didn't bother with a HRM I just seem to know when enough was enough. Even though I was quite fit before I became pregnant I realized that I needed to be more careful whilst carrying. Stopped using the x-trainer when I was about 7 months and like I said before, continued swimming and doing pregnancy yoga up until a couple of days before my daughter was born. Swimming is the best as its non-weight bearing and you can float to your hearts content if thats what takes your fancy.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Your heart rate naturally increases when you're pregnant so this '140 bpm' advice may not be particularly realistic. In an article I read it also says that if you were very fit pre-pregnancy it is safe to exercise at around 165 bpm.

See article
  • Glad to hear your point about it being OK to exercise up to 165bpm pre-pregnancy Minks, and not sticking religiously to the 140bpm rule, which is practically impossible with running as it's really easy to nudge higher than that. I'm 4 months pregnant, feeling absolutely fine and still running 4 or 5 times a week, for up to an hour at a time. Also swimming and going on the elliptical trainers/exercise bikes in the gym. Feel more breathless going up hills, so am walking up the steep ones and taking things slower generally, but finding it hard to stick to 140bpm as even walking up a steep hill takes it over that (wearing a HR Monitor tends to make you a bit paranoid, so now just monitoring the HR and when I hit a HR of about 160bpm I slow myself down a bit or stop and walk for a short while).
  • Thanks for the article, Minks! It seems there is a lot of conflicting advice. I am not doing anything at all at the moment due to this sprained ankle & also constant nausea. Not being active is making me feel terrible. But maybe it's the right thing to do at the moment as am only in wk 6. I am actually having an early scan next week just to determine viability--my hospital offers them to anyone who's got a reason to be anxious, which is lovely. Although if symptoms are anything to go by am expecting triplets!
  • Americano

Don't forget the ginger biscuits (as ginger helps with sickness) and nausea can be caused by low blood sugar levels, not an excuse to pig out, but the odd biscuit does help. If that fails - unluckily its your hormones! Good luck with the scan next week - keep us posted.
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    I'm at the same stage as you Americano. Early days yet I know. I'm feeling pretty sick too. Seems completely unpredictable though. One minute I seem to be fine, the next queasy as anything. And very sore boobs! Still running but seem to have slowed up without trying. Running slower times than usual on all routes. So disappointing! Was going to be doing FLM, and was hyper-motivated, but that'll have to go to one side. Not sure if I'll even manage to defer it next year realistically with young baby, work and all. We'll see...
  • Congratulations K9! When's your due date? Will this be your first baby? I know what you mean about the sickness--mine doesn't seem connected to anything, eg times or smells.
  • I suffered from TERRIBLE morning sickness (all day every day), and much as you probably don't feel like it, my advice would be to keep eating little & often as I found that the slightest hunger made me worse. I developed quite a taste for melon (and not chocolate - fortunately!)
    I did find that it got somewhat better after about 14 weeks, but to be honest I didn't start to feel "normal" about food and drink until about 2 weeks before I had my baby (delivered at 36 weeks).
    Good luck & big commiserations - I remember it only too well!!
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Feeling seriously queasy now - all day for the last couple of days. Not vomiting yet though! eating does seem to help although I've not felt remotely hungry. Occasionally getting quite strange fancies for things I don't normally like too. I had a real fancy for a bacon roll or a burger this morning. (I hate bacon, and I'm practically vegetarian), and I'm quite off chocolate too (which I normally am seriously addicted to). Help I want to feel normal again. I'm sick (literally) of this already.
    Yes 1st time pregnant, and not exactly planned either! Due early August I guess.
  • Hi K9, I do sympathise, feeling sick is horrible and the food thing is just plain weird. I get through it by telling myself it's a sign of lots of healthy pregnancy hormones flying around my system. I've gone off fish and coffee (and I LOVE coffee) and can't stop eating Branston pickle. I've also got enormous painful boobs and feel like I have put on 2st already and there are 33 weeks left to go. Will be size of house.
    I had a scan today (I was offered an early one because I had a previous miscarriage) and everything is OK so far. It looked more like a blurred blob than a baby, but I'm sure the sonographer knew what she was doing!
  • My baby girl is now 4 weeks and I too searched the internet about whether I could/should run. I ran my PB of 1.44 in half marathon when I was 8 weeks pregnant (but didn't know) and have been lucky to have had the best pregnancy ever, without any sickness, tiredness or pains. I ran until 37 weeks, and even did a half marathon at 30 weeks, just because I felt great and was still running reasonable distances. I ran it slow and slowed down more when I needed to. Do listen to your body, I think I was very lucky and my baby liked being bounced around! I read all I could but found very little about running after 6 months, I believe that if you can, you should, but don't if it doesn't feel right. I had a caesarian section on the 16th, healthy baby girl, and would like to hear from anyone who is running after having had a section. I started running carefully again earlier this week, felt great to be out, but would be keen to hear from other mums-with-scars-and-enormous-breasts! Anyway congratulations to the mums-to- be and good luck to the ones still trying.
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    wow! congratultions Marijke. I'm only 7 weeks and finding running tough already - I'm just so lethargic. Will give it another go tomorrow. Are you breast feeding your baby? - that must make running mighty uncomfortable surely?! i'm impressed you were running up until 37 weeks. You must have had a very modest bump!
  • Thank you K9, Yes I did have a modest bump, especially finding out that Liesje weighted 8lb4!! And I think the fact that I didn't know I was pregnant for the first 8 weeks made a huge difference as I had already been running when I would probably have been much more careful had I known I was pregnant! I am breastfeeding and it's going well, have been going out straight after a feeds with empty (well...)boobs, and wearing my normal sportsbra. Ran 4 miles this morning and it feels ok, so squashing them in pre-breastfeeding-size bra seems to work. I believe that the running during pregnancy gave me energy and I never had the tiredness that so many women seem to have. But I do believe everyone is different and this worked for me.
  • boing !!!

for Henster V, hope you found this ok
  • Marijke - I had a caesarean back in May and was out running again after 4 weeks. Unlike you, I had had a really terrible pregnancy and was on a lot of medication afterwards, but found that getting out and about again (albeit slowly!) was very therapeutic. I guess everyone responds differently to c-sections - I was really lucky and felt really well.
    I know that people tend to say that you shouldn't do anything too strenuous for the first 6 weeks, but my consultant actually recommended that I do what "felt right" - definitely my philosophy!
    I am now back into a really good training programme in preparation for the FLM, and have already done a 10k and half marathon since my little boy arrived :o)
    Good luck & enjoy your little one while she is tiny - they grow so fast!!
    Hegs x
  • Glad to have found you guys!! Here's the message that I posted on the "General" forum last night. Any advice gratefully received!!

I'm about 10(ish) weeks pregnant. I usually run about 60 miles per week, including a couple of speed/interval sessions.

Since I found out I'm pregnant I've continued training as normal, the theory being that my body will tell me if I do something I shouldn't. On this basis I did the Luton marathon a couple of weeks ago, which went fine. Since Luton I've been taking things a bit easier, cutting down on the speed work, but making up for it by keeping my mileage pretty high.

I was told today that I should start training with a heart rate monitor and that I shouldn't let my heart rate go over 145bpm, as if I train at a intensity that causes my HR to go over 145, it will be really bad for my baby. The problem with this is that, dispite having a fairly low heart rate at rest (42bpm), when I run, my heart rate goes a lot higher than you would expect, and stays there. E.g. if I run for an hour at my 10K pace (about 7.5mph), my heart rate will stay at around 200bpm throughout.

My question is, if I'm feeling OK, and not pushing myself too much, should I take any notice of this 145bpm limit? Also, does anyone have any other useful tips on pregnant running?

Cheers
  • Hi Henser V,

Your best bet is to read back through this thread as you'll find that the guideline for fit individuals is around an average of 160 to 165 bpm. There's a really good article you can read. I personally get up to around 165bpm but wouldn't go higher than that as the intensity can be a bit too high for the fetus (called fetal hypoxia). I guess if you're generally running within 165bpm and occasionally going above that would be fine, but not to consistently run at a bpm of 200.

Liz
  • Just when I was feeling so smug about being able to train as normal at 10 weeks, have been feeling crap all day. Am going to write to my MP asking for a law to be passed banning anyone who is smoking/wearing lots of perfume or aftershave/using deep heat/otherwise generally stinky, from coming within 10 metres of me.

Also, anyone else having trouble seeing anything but murky blobs on a scan picture? I think at 10 weeks baby is in fact a blob, but wasn't sure whether I'm missing something (get freaked out whenever I start reading the pregnancy book).
  • Hello again, there are some very good books you can read to find out more about pregnancy. Tim Noakes has written 'the Lore of Running', a huge serious book about running and there is a bit about running in pregnancy; there is basically very little known about the effects and the only advice is about not running your heart rate too high because your temperature will increase which is supposed to be bad for the foetus. An excellent little book I had is by Cassandra David; 'running for pregnant women and new mums'. She talks about all aspects, including post-pregnancy running. I think I read those books more than the pregnancy book!
    And thank you Hegs, I feel better now I have read your response, in fact, I ran my first 10km this morning, not fast, but excellent feeling afterwards. Not bad, for not yet 6 weeks post-caesarian!! And I do believe I am very lucky too, to feel so good and to have a very lovely husband who will look after little Liesje when I am out running. Merry Christmas to you all!
  • Sorry, Cassandra Davis, not David
  • Hello everyone, merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah! I am pleased to report that I am now 8 wks pregnant and have managed to get out for 2 runs after a gap of over 5 weeks, caused not by pregnancy but by my sprained ankle. Went right back to basics, really long warm up then 2 x 10 mins with a 2 min walk in between. Really slow but felt fantastic afterwards--got to get new bra though as boobs were really sore and felt every bump.
    Am so impressed by Marijke's and Henster's posts. Inspirational! I'm sure I read that the 145BPM figure is based on outdated research, but don't quote me. Am reading the Runner's World book on running and pregnancy, but I don't really like it--the women in it are all triathletes and marathoners not overweight asthmatics who can barely manage 30 arthritic minutes!
  • Hi guys, just thought I'd let you know about interesting piece of research i read the other week. It was always believed that women with well developed perineal muscles are more likely to need episiotomy/tear (particularly horse riders/ ballet dancers/ runners).

The latest research suggests they are in fact less likely to tear/need episiotomy as these muscles are used to being used/stretched and therefore cope better with childbirth.

Having had four children ranging from 8-10lbs without a stitch, this personally makes me feel much better!!! And no I don't wee when I laugh!

Thought you might find this interesting.

Take care of selves and bumps/babies xxx
  • hello all
    hope bumps and babies are all fine.
    does anyone know whether it's ok to do fitball (swiss ball classes) when pregnant? i'm assuming it is, because it's a bit like pilates, but i'm now in my second trimester (just) and i know that you are not supposed to do any exercises on your back after the first trimester. i know that there are likely to be some exercises done either reclining or lying on your back, so wondered whether the reclining crunches (the ones you do on the ball) were OK? does anyone know?
    i could just ask the instructor, but i haven't told the girls in the gym that i'm pregnant yet (being a bit coy about it for some reason), so i didn't want to announce it at the class or have the instructor shouting different exercises for me to do!
  • The reason why you're not supposed to lie on your back is because of a major vein that lies on the right side of your abdomen. Some women feel faint when they lie on their back because of the pressure of the baby on this vein and blood not being able to be transported back to the heart. So if it makes you feel lightheaded I wouldn't do it, but if you feel fine, then go ahead! I never felt unwell when lying on my back, but have heard of girls who did. I am now trying to get motivated to do some crunches after the festive food has finally been eating, but don't seem to be able to find the time. Have spent quite a bit of time reading about abdominal excercises though, might be better reading less and doing more...
  • marijke - thanks.
    i knew it was something to do with the vein, but i had read that irrespective of whether you feel faint lying on your back (i don't at the moment), you should definitely NOT do any exercises lying on your back. probably best if i just 'fess up to the instructor, rather than worrying myself about it.

• Caramel I'm truely disappointed in you (tut tut) - you really should tell your gym instructor(in private if you don't want the rest of the class knowing) you are pregnant and they will cater for you - otherwise you could do yourself and the baby harm. You shouldn't be doing abdominal exercises now esp sit ups and crunches, just remember to take it easy. Have a word with your Midwife as well, as she will tell you what you can and can't do if you're an exercise freak - like I am. I found my Midwife was the fountain of all knowledge for things like that.

Here's a tip for you for later on in pregnancy - did you know that lying on your left side is the best position to sleep in at night if you can. This is because it encourages the baby to move in to the best position for birth! I'm full of useless rubbish like that.
  • oh dear, i feel duly chastised :-)

i DID go last night, and i also whispered to the instructor beforehand, and asked her not to blab out to the whole class. i know she found that REALLY hard, because she's a true blabbermouth, and we're like a big group of mates, really. but anyway, she didn't tell me not to do sit-ups, just to take it easy. i actually found that i felt sick as soon as i tried to do them, though, so i only did about 3, and then faffed around looking like a real shirker while they did their sets!

i don't think i'll be doing it for long, though. there was too much lying on your front on the ball, which i can just about manage now, but won't be able to do for much longer.

i spoke to my midwife about exercising when i first saw her. she was great about cardio stuff (told me to do as much as i wanted, but to keep my HR below 160, which for me is fine anyway, because much more than that is too hard for me normally anyway!). but she said no strength training at all, which i found a bit strange, because i haven't read that anywhere else. i'm sure she'd tell me to go to a pregnancy yoga or aquanatal class but they are all at times i can't make (like during the day or at 5pm). why aren't there any at 8pm!?

i must admit i am a bit confused about the abdominal thing - my 'exercising in pregnancy' book says pilates is fine, and that's all lower abdominal stuff (if not hard core sit-ups). does anyone know what IS actually OK pilates-wise?
  • My yoga teacher says no to anything like sit-ups, crunches, twists and forward bends etc esp after 16 weeks, thats why its best to attend a pregnancy yoga class - or if in any doubt about the exercises don't do them. Shame you can't find a suitable pregnancy yoga class as it is really good. Don't forget you are entitled to attend pregnancy yoga classes in your work time as they are part of your relaxation and parent craft classes.

Don't know anyhting on the pilates front - sorry. May be worth contacting someone who is qualified in it and have a chat or have a look on the web for an instructor who could comment.
  • Apparently it is something to do with the abdominal muscles, if you do abdominal excercises you can end up with a gap between the two major muscles in your abdomen as they need to part for the baby to fit, and if you excercise them they won't go back how they were (my sister has an obsessive friend who carried on with abdominal excercises and now has a very scary-sounding gap...) I suppose the good old pelvic floors are best for the abdomen..
  • This is also true if you start to exercise your abs before your 6-8 week check up as your body needs time to adjust and start to go back to the way it use to be. And yes gals it does go back honestly! x