First Timer - Spectator Advice Required

Doing the marathon for the first time. My partner will be 7 months pregnant at this time.

What does everyone suggest we do with regards to her spectating. She will not be able to stand for long periods of time and hates the tube.

I intend to run for a charity (undecided which one yet) and they all seem to have shower/reception places at the finish.

Is it best she watches the first part of the race on the TV - we are staying at the travelodge at EXPO - and then finds a vantage point somewhere near the finish, before meeting me at the reception area ? If so where is the best place ?

All help and advice gratefully received.

Comments

• One good tip about meeting up is choose a letter to meet under like "x" or "z" - not many surnames with those letters so they're not so busy!
  • At 7 months pregnant she'd probably be better off watching it on tv in a hotel room ?
  • The part of the course which is 'thinnest' as far as spectators is concerned is probably Docklands, so it might be best for her to see you there. Also, from your point of view, you may benefit from her support at a point in the race when the legs begin to get stiff!

She could bring a collapsible chair and still get a good view in Docklands. Given where you are staying, she has less travelling to do and it would be by DLR rather than tube.

This would be especially good is there was someone else with her to do the carrying of the chair!

The finish is hectic of course, with crowds 2 or 3 deep, so maybe just meet up at the reception, 'cos it's not too good for spectating. That said, Birdcage Walk isn't too bad, depending on when you come through.

Either way, have a good race, Nick.
  • Thanks for your replies. Whilst we appreciate it will be busy she is only pregnant, not ill. She would like the opportunity to see me on route at least once.

We have a good tip above about meeting up but resonably nearby vantage points would be welcome.
  • Cheers Octopus. As you can see we posted at virtually the same time.
  • Nick

My wife will also be 7 months pregnant (baby due mid June) and we are also staying in the Docklands Travelodge - small world.

My mother and father-in-law are coming to watch so they are going to carry a collapsable chair for Cath. I may have a spare parent-in-law to lend to your wife for chair carrying duties if she is planning on watching alone?

Its my first marathon, I'm hoping to finish between 4.15 and 5 hours (I'll see how the training goes). First baby too - busy year!