Chondromalacia Patella and Glucosamine / Chondroitin

Hi,

I've just purchased a bottle of "Chondroitin/Glucosamine Complex".

After taking this, will it help with my Chondromalacia Patella problems?

Comments

• Hmmm....I suppose it's worth a try for a few months and see if there is any difference.

I had a very successful operation for mine in September and my knee feels much better than it ever has done :-)
  • I don't know if the chondroitin will help, but I am taking glucosamine 500mg x 2, 3 times a day, and it's really helped. I have PFP syndrome. I just started taking collagen (3 before bed) a week ago and that has helped too.

It took about a week with my dose of glucosamine to get improvement. So I don't think that everyone has to wait a few months.
  • I take a daily diet of:

MSM
    Chondroitin
    Glucoamine
    collagen
    multivitamin
    Cod liver oil
    Ginseng
    Selenium complex
    hyaluronic acid

most of these are for joints. I'm 44 and 86Kg and when I upped my running regime two years ago was suffering from an aching hip, sore knee and chronic back pain.

Two years on and I'm completely ache free and have literally never been fitter.

The chemicals cost a lot, but I reckon its worth it.

ps. I'm also thinking of taking Zinc/Echinthea/garlic soon for general health issues.
  • yep, they are not cheap but Holland and Barrat had a special deal on £16 reduced from £32 :-)
  • Dave

I am taking:
    glucosamine
    fish oil
    devil's claw
    collagen
    plus a range of other supplements for general health (i.e. multivitamin, zinc)

I'm not convinced that the devil's claw is doing anything.

I'm interested in MSM and hyaluronic acid. I've not heard of H acid. I though MSM was for allergies? Is it also for joints? Can you tell me some more about them?
  • There's no scientific reason, or convincing clinical trial evidence, to suggest that glucosamine, chondroitin, or a combination of the two will improve symptoms attributed to chondromalacia patellae. But it appears to be harmless to most people.
  • I also heard this. But lots of people seem to recommend it.

would you be inclined to say it is a placebo?
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Of course she would, she's a doctor! ;o)
  • "would you be inclined to say it is a placebo?"

<sarcasm>
    I guess so... unless the anecdotal evidence happens to come via a pharmaceutical company
    </sarcasm>

When first taking all of these supplements, I didn't know which ones were going to work. If a placebo effect was responsible for my reduction in symptoms then surely all (or none) of the supplements would have worked (or not worked). Why then does the devil's claw not work for me, yet the fish oil, the collagen, and the glucosamine do work? Did I subconsciously disfavour devil's claw?

The pharmaceutical companies can't patent natural substances. Which is why is not in their interest to research their efficacy. Which suits me fine - it means my buying supplements isn't mediated by a medical practitioner with no knowledge of orthomolecular medicine. I can just walk into a health food shop and buy what I need. I'm very happy with the current system :-)
  • well, I think I'll see how it goes - up to the end of January then post back here if I thought it worked or not. Can't say fairer than that :o)
  • Yep, that's exactly what I did. It's all that you can do. Good luck.
  • Ah well, that'd be really interesting IF homeopathy had anything to do with the supplements we've been talking about. I agree with the professor, that homeopathy is a load of b0ll0cks. Which is why I don't use it.
  • Re-reading my last post. It's sounds quite snooty. It's not meant to be.
  • Lodger, as I understand it MSM is important
    in helping the body replace joint tissue, such as tendons and ligament. Its an active source of sulphur which has an important role in such activities.

Hyaluronic acid is not very well known but I learned about it in a US running magazine. Its a natural polymer which helps regenerate cartilage, hence its specifically for joints. Its not cheap, I think about a tenner for 30 tablets, one a day.

I get all of my stuff from Zipvit.co.uk

I agree with a lot of the sentiments above, its pseudo science and not well researched, but most of the stuff I take has some backup evidence to suggest that they aid joint mobility, reduce osteoporosis and generall protect against wear and tear.
  • Dave - great. I have just ordered some MSM and hyaluronic acid. I doubt they'll arrive before Christmas. But then I have plenty of other stuff to be getting on with until they do.
  • I take Glucosamine and have just been told by my brother who is a biochemist that it's a waist of time and will not benefit me at all as your body makes this naturally.
  • Lol, my Dad often tells me that something is "a load of rubbish" or a "waste of time".

Forgetting your brothers comments, have you youself found any value to taking Glucosamine?
  • no non at all, been taking it for about 4 weeks now. Don't feel any different. Well except I'm a bit poorer for buying the useless stuff!
  • yes, the body produces glucosamine naturally - but not equally for all and in reduced quantity as one ages... it will absolutely benefit the non-body joints (wrists, elbows, knees, ankles)

as for the prices, look around the net: i've just ordered glucosamine (with no extra vitamins or additives) 1500mg tablets - with a one-year supply for £18 (yes, £18, less than a months supply and h&b et al)
  • Roxy - try upping your dose. I doubled my 1500mg/day to , to 3000mg/day. I had no (or very little) improvement until I increased the dose. I buy the cheap crappy ones from Holland & Barrett and I don't think they are good quality. Which is why the higher dose works?
  • i've thought taking about 2 x 1500 a day, but didn't know if that is an overdose or just wasting money? I would have thought zip-vit would advise 2 a day, not 1, if there was a benefit as they would also make more dosh?
  • I guess it is like taking vitamins, they are already there in the body but by taking supplements you help to ensure that reserves are there.

Skidster, would you mind posting where you got that £18 deal from?
  • my mistake -- it was not £18 ot was £16.50!!! www.purelyhealthdirect.co.uk - item 5058, Glucosamine Sulphate 1500mg Ultra Platinum Strength (single tablet).

As for 'cheaper' products, it is not that... as long as you've no great intolerances allergy-wise these generics are better. Think about it: i just bought 16 ibuprofen 200mg tabs for 39p (and that was at Waitrose: Tesco has them for 24p!) and in comparison the Nurofen are almost £2!!! Why? Packaging, advertising, shelf-space, and, more often than not, additives.

Most glucosamine out there is packaged with MSM or Chondroitin or multi-vitamins which, for ME, are not required or desired: i eat very well, usually, loads of fruit and veg, plenty of fish, etc so don't feel a need for most of those things

as for 3000mg a day of Glucosamine, well, I doubt it... my osteo says 1500mg a day and i am at the moment in injury recovery mode (please, all at once: Poor Daniel - hasn't run in 10 days and is slowly preparing to explode!)

I don't think the body can deal with / process that much (sort of like vitamin C: much more than 500mg daily comes out in your urine) so more than 1500mg is likely a waste (and may be bad for you, but I don't know that for certain).
  • Skidster. I see completely where you are coming from re my dose of 3000mg being too high, and a waste of money. I think I'd give the same advice to someone had I not had the definite improvement when I doubled the dose. It also has to do with absorption doesn't it? Perhaps my body absorbs poorly? Perhaps I am generally less healthy than you and don't have the basic nutrients spare in my bloodstream to process glucosamine?

My own feeling re generic products compared with the more expensive ones, is that tablets are cheaper than capsules because they use cheap fillers to glue them together. This glueing-them-together means they are more difficult to absorb.

Of course I can't debate your point re advertising etc contributing to the higher price of the non-generics. I completely agree. But I also think that they have less fillers, and easier to absorb fillers. And these better fillers are more expensive.
  • i am not a doctor, nor do i play one on tv... but double dosing sounds a lot, esp. when we are talking 1500mg

Regarding filler, etc. cheaper does not necessarily follow as less good - but it would be nice if Roxybird could ask the biochemist brother if he would be so kind as to let us know - he would certainly know better than i!

• i find the notion of upping the dose quite amusing, infact it's something I would be tempted to try myself. Sorta like going for a double shot of whiskey ;-)

However, it does state on the bottle "do not exceed stated dose" and I feel those recommendations are there for a reason.

It doesn't mean to say it will do you harm, but that may not be the case for everyone. The 1500mg must be a sensible guideline.

• Yep, you are both right. So - don't do this at home folks.

I'm going to stick with 3000mg, cos it works for me, whereas 1500mg doesn't. But you are quite right that I shouldn't recommend it to other folk.

So everyone please ignore my double-dosing advice. Though, of course, you may listen to my other pearls of wisdom ;-)
  • maybe try 2000mg for a fortnight and see if that still does it...

and lets see what the biochemist has to say?
  • I've started taking glucosamine & chondroitin capsules for a couple of months and they seem to have helped my knee problems (though I've now got a twinge after yesterday's plod). It may also have been the ITB stretches, I suppose.

I have been taking Devil's Claw as well. I agree they don't seem to do much, except I suspect they make my lips a bit sore if I take too much. They're supposed to have an anti-inflammatory effect, so I'll take them till the bottle runs out.