Micksta Coaching

I have been thinking long and hard and have been reading various posts and threads recently. And have come up with the idea of actually coaching forum members or giving advice on running and training.

This will be a first for me, but I have access to 2-3 years training plans and my own experiences, and would like to give something back to the sport I love.

Im no QULIFIED COACH! so any advice I gave to people on my thread it would be at the individuals own RISK to follow it, as I could not be held responsible for any injury occuring. I would give advice to beginners and more experienced runners.
Maybe even Individual training plans for some people.

I plan to start this in the New year, part of my 2006 plans and will also put a YAHOO Group up for people to join.

Whats everyones take on this idea?
Please be honest, if You think its a bad idea then please so say, if its a good idea likewise, as feedback is the best way to find things out!

Comments

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Great idea, so long as you have have the time to respond to everyone individually and perhaps even meet up with them occasionally.
  • Nice idea, Micksta.

As Sezz says, it's time consuming to do it properly. I considered doing swim coaching, but it does take up a load of your spare time.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • Micksta - Great idea, I get most of my coaching from the daily thread and BT thread, which helps, but would appreciate specific coaching.
  • The idea being that I would post general questions and responses on the RW Thread, this so everyone could benefit.

If a Forum member would like me to specifically coach them, then I would do this via an email, possible meet ups if local to the area may be possible. I would set up a seperate email address for this purpose, so I could identify coaching emails and normal mails.
  • Does it include tips on how to deal with German Shepherd dogs?

:-)
  • BR

just give them a cuddle

My GSD is purrfect....think of a cross between Tigger and a Teddy Bear

She even pulls me up hills when needed!
  • Micksta, can you coach me please I'm an old has-been of 25 years experiance, stuck in my ways :-)

BR, surely you just out run them?
  • Micksta

I think if you are not a qualified coach you should be a very good runner yourself in order to coach others.

I did a search on Google and Michael Gore of Invicta AC is running around 36 mins for 10k. Is this you? Because to be frank that is quite an average time. This is probably my mistake and you are actually a sub 32 min 10k runner.

On your profile you say that 'you will run for team GB in Beijing in 2008'. What does that mean? Have you been selected? What event? Or do you 'hope' to run there (like I do)?

• BR:
    lol..how to outrun a german shepard dog? hmmm, think a pair of roller skates would be a better idea than my trusty ASICS DS-Trainers!

Big-Tim:
    Well if you want coaching then you know my email address ;p

JRM:
    Probably is me on the google search, though I have done 35mins at Southend back in october! my best for 10k is 34:18 back in 2004. Marathon best is 2h43mins.

With regard having the talent and being a good runner, if I was going to be training elite runners, then yes that would be an advantage, but most people who would be looking at my advice, I guess would be beginners or club runners looking for a few tips to improve.

Thank you for calling me average though,least I know im 50/50 in a field a need that little bit of improvement, gives me focus for next season :)

• Interesting point raised by JRM.

The best football coaches in the country are probably Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho - none of them notable players. Maybe they did a lot of coaching qualifications.

I wouldn't like to `coach' anyone but I'm happy to give advice on points that come up to clubmates and forumites. I have the utmost respect for anyone who does coach as you're becoming responsible for someone else's performance. Guess I have too much of that at work!!

I have thought of doing the level 1 coaching course but I don't know if it would tell me anything about running I don't already know or anything about teaching people I haven't learned.

Although Micksta is right in that most of us are not elites, so knowing how to coach John Mayock to a 63 min HM would require a different programme to coaching someone from a 1:45 to 1:35 HM. I like coaches with a track record of improving the performances of keen club runners who have been training hard without necessarily getting very far, and by making some coaching improvements to that schedule, turn effort into results.
  • I don't think you need qualifications or to have been elite.
    Sometimes enthusiasium is enough & as Micksta is saying he's only really trying to help by email & web posting.

I'm a level 2 endurance coach but with my other qualifications I'd rate myself above level 3 & as good as some if not better level 4 coaches.
    You can seach for me on Google to btw ;-)
  • Motion seconded.

I have coached national level swimmers yet was far from that myself, so the relevant qualifications and, more importantly, a bucket load of enthusiasm are all you necessarily need.

In fact, most elite athletes are poor when it comes to explaining how they do what they do-they'll say to you that they just 'do it'.

The ones who who are not quite so talented, yet have persevered with their chosen sport and have become 'students' of the game, like Mourinho and the others BR mentions, are often the best coaches.
  • I might coach oneday, but I won't still be running competitively then, unless I win the lottery and am not working full time.
  • Same with boxing trainers, Cus d'Amato probably the best of all time was not a boxer of any repute.

• Good idea Micksta .

Something my training lacks is structure.
    That being i don't follow a set schedule.
    Basically my training is loads (for me) of base miles and 6-8 weeks before a big race (about 2 key races a year) i add in speedwork. ie. fartlek, intervals tempo (not all in the same week i hasten to add)

I agree and have read, that the very best athletes do not necessarily make the best coaches, that can be applied to any sport.
    So you do not necessarily have to run like Haile to be a good or even great coach

Something to ponder over.

Merry Christmas
  • Great stuff Micksta. I know I for one learn plenty from the likes of yourself,BR and some others. You don't have to be running sub 30 10K's to talk sense. Some people running those times have trouble stringing sentences together.

I was going to mention boxing coaches GGHT :o) The same with rugby coaches,very few international coaches represented their countries. Sorry Sir Clive but you weren't much of a centre :o)
  • Miksta

On your profile you say that 'you will run for team GB in Beijing in 2008'. What does that mean?
  • Micksta - would really appreciate some online coaching and I think I could give you lots of satisfaction as a 'student' (more in terms of enthusiasm and progress than real results mind) as I am very determined and a high achiever.

I haven't been running for long but I had excellent fitness levels to start with, from a lifetime of swimming and cycling.

I have been practising yoga for seven years and have been a teacher for four, this has really thought body awareness/ breathing techniques.

The first time I went out for a run, I could go on for one hour and I run a half marathon after eight weeks.

My schedules are now, like Pammie's, somehow unstructured and would really appreciate some expert advise.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Micksta, I really don't know what to say....so best leave it unsaid.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you.

Tom
  • Micksta, good on ya for being willing to put the time in.

Think coaching qualifications are a joke to be perfectly honest. Whilst there are some very good coaches who have taken them there's to be frank no need for them. Peter Coe didn't have any coaching qualifications nor did Harry Wilson or any others coaching the top athletes in the '80s. From what I've heard the courses do very little. For instance my actual coach has been coaching for about 10 years now, has taken a lad to 3rd in English schools XC and an English vest, and has developed a chap into a 1:53 800m runner at 21. PLus has a lot of other enthusiastic and dedicated runners in his group. A good few who I see making superb coaches in a few years.

He's the same coaching level as the lad in our group who's just got his coaching qualifications and did a 9 mile long run in preperation for a marathon (okay he did 2:52 but still!).

I know another very good coach/team manager who refuses out-right to take any of the coaching qualifications.

To be honest I think that it's drastically decreasing the pool of volunteers for the sport who want to become coaches as it now take s a while to get qualified.

Good coaches are slowly developed, they don't come from a two day course. Same as you can't take a 70 minute 10k runner, let them go to a weeks worth of courses and then declare them a great runner.

oh, and I'll definitely be taking up coaching at some point :O).
  • Some very intresting points being made there, and I really apprieate the feedback.

As for coaching qualifications, my former coach, who before me coached Charlotte Dale, does not have to my knowledge any real coaching qualifications but from his own experience he is a fantastic coach.

I think as far as group coaching goes, I would not be undertaking that, what I mean is not taking a large group of runners down some track and then spend the session shouting at them, more like I would coach people mainly on a (Personal individual basis) and answer generally on the thread for the most part. Everyone is different and require different amounts, levels of training, and though I personally push myself to extremes, I would not necessary push someone I was coaching in the same manner unless of course that was there wish.

JRM:
    With regard my comment `I will be at Beijing 2008`? Its just my way of showing determination to succeed, chances are I will not make it, but to have the desire to make that statement then gives motivation to follow it through, if that makes sense.
  • JRM,

Not that you have got a bee in your bonnet or anything!!

Good on you Micksta! I am sure there will be many who will gladly benefit from your experience and advice.

Simon
  • SIT
    I am glad I am not the only one irratated by JRM attitude!!!

Good luck with it Micksta and so nice of you to want to help others I know there are lots of runners who will be gratefulto you:-)

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • JRM, I do love it when other critise & then have no details on themselves what-so-ever!!!!

It's my aim to make 2012, if not as an athlete then possibly something else :-)
    a tea boy perhaps!

Micksta, by starting this tread your starting to learn & set the foundations to become a good coach one day. That may be in 20 years time but that still gives you lots of coaching life :-)
  • I would love to be able to say "I was in Bejing in 2008" as a spectator of course. Nothing wrong with having goals and dreams and I guess thats one job of a good coach to help athletes plan and fulfil long and short term goals that are achieveable and realistic.

My long term goal is achieve GFA for FLM and for my age group its sub 4hrs and my short term goal is sub 4.30 for next year, my PB is 4.42 set at Loch Ness next year.

Is this achieveable? and how long will it take?
  • I'd like to be in beijing 2008. Too early for me to have a chance in hell at being there as an athlete, but perhaps as a guide for the paralympics, or even just in spirit by helping someone whose going there train to their utmost by acting as a training partner/hare and setting the pace for them at the start of a race to help them qualify.

2016 is gonna be the best opportunity if I'm still running competitively, so much hard work ahead though. A whole 11 years away! If I could get anywhere near qualifying though even that'd be brilliant.
  • i would be very interested micksta but im not so sure youll have me in 1:35 h/m times
  • BIG-TIM:
    I think once I stop seriously running,then I will probably study to get better qualifications for coaching then train a group at IEK, or individually.

BRYN B:
    I think personally my best crack at making an GB Vest will be the 2012 olympics, I be around 34-35 by then, and at my peak as a marathon runner, if not, for sure I will be helping in some capacity :)

JANE:
    If the training goes well and you put in the time and effort, then for sure 4:30 is possible for 2006. Ive never seen the Loch Ness course, so it could be either flat or hilly and that would of course have a big impact on your finishing time, London is pancake flat almost!

sub 4hrs?
    Thats taking the training up to another level, but certainly possible, probably best to aim at taking 10mins or so from each marathon you undertake in my view, so 2007 or 2008 at my guess! again a lot depends on the course, conditions on the day. Important thing is not to put too much pressure on yourself to achieve certain times, rather just enjoy the running and let the times come to you.
  • Micksta, Loch Ness is undulating/hilly/flat/downhill. It does has a long hill at 17/18 miles, I did manage a 2.20/2.22 split for it so got pacing right.

I am doing Lochaber in April and it is flat so will see how I do.