Tuesday 27th December 2005

Well???

(Sorry, but I couldn't think of a musical description and the only music going through my head at this time of night is the theme tune to Match of the Day!!)

What: Nothing
Last hard: Never
Last rest: Past three weeks
Why: Lazy bastard!

Comments

• Da derrrr da da da da durr, da derrr di du du durrrrrrrrrr

Daaavittsss...

But didn't you think that Andy Cole's Goal was a screamer?

My M&D went to the Wigan/Man city game, in the Wigan end, but supporting City (!). Mum still enjoyed it.

Cross training for me today at the Jan sales. And later, who knows?

• Morning - well as it is still December;-)

What: 3 miles bush tracks easy.
    Why: Up early to get my run in as need to get back into this running thing.
    Very hot here today - boys have gone kayaking - kids are going to the swimming pool soon. Me - think I'll just take it quietly.

Have a good day.
  • Morning All

Safely back from Tanzania, Haven't had time to read through the last few days posts but hope you all had a wonderful Xmas. I managed to fit in runs on Xmas day and yesterday so not too much extra weight on board.

What: 10K tonight, club christmas Black Tie run
    Why: It was my idea!
    Last hard: Awhile

Enjoy those still on holiday for those like me who are back at work, Smile!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning.

NZ, strength is what I have more than anything else. I also love running long distances more than churning out a speed session. Maybe I'll do ultra one day:o) Don't let my hubby read that though!

what:am 5 miles, pm 5 miles with 30 mins tempo
    why:recovery and a bit of pace

Why does the night time always make one feel worse with a cold. I had an awful night, then got up at 2:30 and ended up sleeping on the sofa as I found it easier to breathe. Now I'm up and I feel fine again except for my nose running like a tap and sore from blowing it!

I'm off to the Jan Sales later-should be fun, but also depressing seeing all the pressies you bought for xmas at half price!
  • Multi, you won't go sub 1:30 on that training ;-)

What: not sure anything from 6M - 13M
    Why: snowing very hard!!!!

If the snow stay's it will just have to be days of endurance training at whatever pace I can get.
    I could try something harder in the gym but not for more than 60min!
  • Morning

What: 10 miles in the frost am / short run pm
    Why: general aerobic

Hilly -Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're trying to be so quiet?...
    Take care doing a tempo run the day after 24 miles on top of a cold.
  • Morning

Hilly - So you will be doing Comrades in 2007 then... :o)

Scobos - Good, solid post yesterday. Lots of beer mentioned there....oh and a great time too :o)

Well done to Bryn and M.

What: 10 miles
    Why: Longish run
    Last hard: Saturday

Blew it again this morning,did the run 5 seconds slower than HM pace. Pheeeewww.

Enjoy the day.

• Morning

Multi - Think its time you got yourself some new kit for the new year;o)

BT - Well Im not too far from you so I will be expecting that snow soon:o(

Venom - Nice position, well run.

Bryn - well run yesterday.

What: am: 6 miles easy - pm: 6 miles easy

Why: Marathon miles and increase on mileage.

Last Hard: Parts of yesterday

Have a good day - enjoy those sales Hilly.

• morning,

what a lot of congratulations on great races and pb's from yesterday! - camaco, JP (fantastic) FL (also fantstic) venom, scobos and bryn

sorry to hear more of you ill - icram, hilly and hipps, hope all back on form really soon

had my best run since injury yesterday a lovely 6 but striding much better and feeling smoother. lots of friendly cyclists out too, one even offered me his bike!

very icy here but no snow, having to wait for a bit of thawing or i'll be on my you know what before i know it so plan to get out early before next batch of visitors is a bit off schedule

what - 3 miles
    why - just a few today, getting a bit ahead. physio wants no more than 30 mpw for a couple more weeks yet
  • Hi again

I need a new log for 2006. Anyone know of any Excel type logs that I can download?
  • Morning all,

Well, we'd planned to take our road bikes out today (it'd be the first time in weeks that I'd been on the road on mine), but the snow looks like it's put paid to that. So will probably take the MTBs out later instead, maybe a bit of a run afterwards. At the risk of sounding miserable, I hope the snow melts quickly or there won't be much running in the next few days!

Debbo, this is the foam roller I bought: http://totallyfitness.co.uk/CoreAccessories/FoamRoller/PHY-SR635.htm. If you do a Google search lots of place sell them, I bought it from this shop pretty randomly but they delivered it very quickly indeed (within a couple of days despite it being just before Christmas). Most impressive.

Multi, good to hear from you again - get yourself out the door and do some training!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Thanks Venom - I'll order one today.

No snow in Edinburgh yet!

What: longish run I think, 12-13 miles, if I'm feeling ok - I'll see how I feel.
    Why: I've got a half in mid-January. I wasn't feeling well last night - felt like a cold coming on, and I slept very late this morning, so I'm probably not 100%.
    Last hard: last tuesday I think
    Last rest: thursday

Hope all you ill and injured folk are better soon.

Have a good day all!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    No snow here either,just a hard frost.

BR, having done my run this morning I don't think tempo will be on the cards this afternoon, so easy it will be!

Sportaloo, I'd love to, but I think not!!!

Have a good day all and take care out there.
  • Morning all,

hail and snow here, but not the 4 inches we were promised!

Great running and racing yesterday everyone - lovely to read.

Hope all the ill peeps feel better soon. Hilly - get those Kleenex tissues with balm in. It really helps the nose-soreness issue.

What: 60mins turbo d&d; perhaps a run later
    Why: today is an easy day, but it's beautiful outside so I might head out for 4 miles or so. Closing down on that 1000!
    Last hard: Sun 18 Dec
    Last rest: Mon

Good runnings all.
  • Morning all. Haven't been on for a few days..so Happy Christmas one and all. Managed a run on Christmas morning anf have just finished a 7.5m run @sub135.

Still recovering from injury...can still feel niggle at top of right shin...but it isn't (yet) affecting my running. Lots of stretching and icing after run. Trying to build mileage back up slowly.

Hope you are all well. I will look back at previous threads for race news.

Cheers

d
  • 10 miles d+d. Pushed it in parts. Nice to run how I felt again.

• 4000 beckons...well done BR...glad you are njoying your running again..

d
  • Morning

What: 7 x 800m, off 1 min

Why: speed

Last hard: last thurs

Last rest: sunday

Snowing here aswell, but ok to run on the roads, only laid vey lightly. lets hope there is no more.

Train well
  • Morning all,
    Some good racing and training yesterday, well done especially to JONPEPPER and BRYN both great performances!

Snowing here in Kent today, so training will be down to how conditions are under foot when I train, annoying as I wanted to spin the legs around quickly today, but like BT looks like an aerobic session will have to do!

What:
    am: 6-miles at 7mm pace, steady pace, surprised how fast I was able to run on the icey surface.

pm: Session with IEK Training group at Blean Woods. Weather has really gone downhill this lunch-time, so not sure what will be done this pm, I had planned to do a pyamid on grass of 1,2,3,2,1,2,3,2,1mins with 2mins jog recovery, but this depends on the surface im training on, may just be a long slow run in the roads.

Why:
    Aerobic endurance and PLANNED fast stuff.

• Quick one, we have snow here today, so likely a rest day. Had a good training week and could link up with some local running friends for some nice runs in the woods, quite a change to the usual urban runs! Last week was 109 mpw, this week will be cut back week. Pleased so far with the base training, the volume and feel now ready to do some more faster running again.

Lot of postings and some top performances, well done everybody.

Bryn - Cool! Matched the 5m time, sub 27 is good breakthrough, should indicate a 33:20 10k, the mark will fall 2006.

Will catch up with some on Friday & Sunday :)

• SmitchSmitch ✭✭✭
    Morning all...sounds like some good training is going on. Interesting to hear about all the snow, it has just started here in Hampshire. I'm off to Kent tomorrow too, so hope it eases up a bit before then.

What: 5m watching lots of cars skidding - which was a bit scary!

Have a good day everyone
  • What: 13.1 miles in the snow! It was ok at first, even if very slidy, but then at mile 10, in the middle of a deserted industrial estate, it really started to snow hard...

I am from Tuscany so snow is literally unknown territory for me - I thought, what would the guys and girls on the forum do? The answer: go on! So I went on.

I was covered in snow, it was exhilarating even if a tad worrying for a southern belle like me. Then I started worrying about my ipod, is it waterproof?
    Just then, I slided about 50 metres downhill........whooooosh!

Fortunately I have good balance so I just surfed down - but that was the signal to go back home! Shook snow off, turned a corner and the snow stopped! The pavement by then were covered in snow so I run on the road, and arrived home a bit after 2 hours.

Yoga, banana and hot bath later I feel really well and ready to go out again tomorrow.

I hope you all have a really good day.
  • Snow here, just a dusting, fun taking the dog out.

Tell you what really makes me gnash my teeth just a bit. Should have been running today (Buntingford), too crocked to run, seeing young 20 somethings couples jogging along in apparently new kit, looking at me, lowly dogwalker, in a distinctly superior sort of way, "you mere pedestrians wouldn't understand us dedicated runners".

Grrrrrr. Green-eyed monster here today, it would seem.

Family respects still to be paid, so shan't even try a run today. Still, no ill effects from 9 miles walking yesterday. Lets hope tomorrow works better.

Hilly - I strongly suspect there is something in the physiology of sleep itself which means that at a certain point in the sleep cycles you really do feel very very much worse. There's a point between 2am and 4am most nights when I begin to wonder whether I'll be able to make it down the corridor in the morning, forget about walking the dog, the concept of running completely beyond imagination. Fortunately, by getting up time, I'm usually much improved.
  • Afternoon folks.

Thanks for the congrats on yesterday's race.

Nice cold morning here in Glasgow...just a wee bit slippy underfoot.

Back very stiff and sore this morning, so just headed out for a very easy 4.2 miles in just under 37 mins with Mrs S (her first run for about 10 days).

Just going to do some more easy/steady running for the next few days until the back eases off.

Off out now for a wander round the shops.

Have a good day.
  • What: 10.1M in the frosty snow with a few flurries (not the ice cream kind) with clubmates including BR. 140av (70%).
    Why: recovery and enjoyment run
    Last hard: yesterday's last race of 2005!
    Last rest: 7days ago

Today's run was very nice, although for the first 35mins, I felt like someone had swapped my legs (especially from the knee down) for sticks! After this, things got better, possibly something to do with the short stop in the undergrowth until things took a dwonward slide after an hour.

As me and BR approached a break in the middle of a field, a dog (bull terrier type) scampered up (owner about 30m away) and seeing me, launched itself at my leg in a 'playful' manner. Did the owner say 'come here'? Did she ar*e?! It continued jumping up at me, scrabbling its paws on my leg and trying to nip my hands.

We had stopped by this point and the others had caught up. The owner was saying 'come here' in a pathetic way, and we were asking/telling her if she wouldn't mind controlling it. The dog continued to jump at me (actually nipping my gloved thumb - didn't do any damage) then it jumped up at Simon (clubmate). She didn't even say the immortal lines of 'it won't hurt you'.

Eventually the stupid dog got fed up and zoomed off, but at no point did the woman attempt to grab the dog and put it on the lead.

As we turned to leave, I said, 'it's OK, you don't have to apologise', to her. She replied, 'Why?' I said, 'because it bit my thumb!' She just shrugged and we moved off.

I know there could have been implication if the mutt had drawn blood and if she was a lone woman and there was only one of us, etc, etc, but the issue is that she didn't really try to stop her dog and did a pathetic job of calling it off. I don;t mind dogs, but someone scared of them would have been very uncomfortable.

1799M for the year......
  • 109 miles - v.impressive URR. I was looking longingly back in my training diary for 2003 when I was doing that at between 6:20 and 7:30 pace...
  • Myabe we should resort to carrying guns/tazers on these off-road runs?!
  • I was attacked by a dobermann as a child and I am very uncomfortable with dogs. I would have freaked out.

Stickless, last week on a 13 miler I met two other runners, man and woman. I was totally high on endorphines, like always, and just beamed at them! The man beamed back but the woman really really looked crossly at me! Why? Maybe she was tired but they were on a downhill stretch, I was going uphill!!

Also from my other post, it did not take me 2 hrs to do the last 2 miles, as it sounded from my crooked writing style. It took me 2 hrs 05 for the whole 13.1 miles in the snow, just in case you were wondering.