Tuesday 27th December 2005

Comments

• What - taking the kids out in the Peak in search of snow - we've got about half a centimetre here in Derby. Toying with the idea of doing a gentle mile or two on my mountain bike.

FL - some dog owners have no idea do they. I've got a Staffordshire Bull Terrier that is very boisterous like that (despite being 12 now) so I aways keep it on an extendable lead or take it somewhere I know there wont be people around. It's very friendly but it just thinks everyone loves it.
  • Popsider - not many trails around here where you won't find runners around:-)

Good luck with the ride.
  • Snow went from here as quick as it came so got out a did 13M @ MP +10-20% most of which was on the Dover 1/2 course.
    Was supposed to do this tomorrow but the snow may be back & I'm racing 5K on Friday.

No mileages for me this year as I've been too busy to keep one since November but I'm trying out one on the "My Asics website" very simple but I may find that easier when life speads up in the New Year!
  • Oh foam rollers from here http://www.physique.co.uk/default.asp

Much cheeper

I need to learn the new links thing, RW putting more work on me than I need :-)
  • Morning all,

Stickless - little do they know about the real you!

What: Easy 4-6 miles later
    Why: hard 7 miles yesterday
    Last Hard: See above

I'm off to the wilderness north coast for a couple of days with MrsT. Deserted beaches, no cell signal, no TV and sometimes no power either. Will do some trail running in the bush and some beach running.

Have a great week.
  • Afternoon All,

FL: Well done on your race. Big improvement in the time.

Venon: Congrats on your first "proper" placing.

Scobos: Impressive performance over 10k off your recent training.

M. Sounds like you enjoyed the beer more than the race!

Bryn: another solid run. It must be the turkey.

What: 8m with 10x100m strides. Icy underfoot so more like speed skating. I'm sure on one of the strides I was going flat out but not actually moving!
    Why: P&Ds master plan
    Last Hard: Not in P&Ds master plan
    Last Rest: 53 days

Have a good one.
  • sportaloo: I use the serpies excel training log.
    (attempts to use new link syntax>
    <url http://www.serpentine.org.uk/advice/training/log.htm#spreadsheet>spreddy</url&gt;
  • Morning All.

Woke to a fine dusting of snow here in Sheffield and continuing to get the occasional flurry.

10.5 miles today including 10-70 hard strides with equal recoveries, and back down to 10 again.

Good Runnings everyone.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

well done to all the racers yesterday and those that trained.

Snowed here this morning too, also did our annual club christmas hanicap with Mrs RFJ and Monkey no 2, it was a good laugh.

Even better was the FLM 06 club entry draw - only one thing to be said - YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS. First out the hat, so me is rather happy and a great belated christmas present.

Racing at Cliveden 6m XC tomorrow, should be interesting if the snow persists.

Enjoy:-)
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Afternoon,

Overnight snow and some soreness in lower-back (reading lastnight in bed in an awkward position) meant that I contemplated swapping my work-session for running on the treadmill.

Then decided to take Ricky out for the warm-up for some Pose running on Snow experience. He did very well and I think the lightbulb switched on in terms of pulling with the hamstrings (as opposed to driving with the hip-flexors) & landing softly to minimise slipping.

Felt OK so dropped Ricky home and did the work-sessions in NB150s as Puma H Streets would get instantly wet in the snow. With the icy breeze my feet would freeze!

What: 3 x 15mins at 77%MHR. First loop had difficulty raising the HR - I think I wasn't letting the lower-back muscles relax. Last two loops were just fine. Pleased that for a 4beat drift I was maintaining an ave pace of 7:35/mile over snowy pavements including crossing major road junctions. Finished with a long warm down, 11.3miles in total.
    Why: Minimising cardiac drift.
    LastHard: Today
    LastRest: 11Dec05

And lower back feels less stiff with better mobility.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    BR: In answer to your question from the other day...

My daily routine consisted of:
    - 20-25mins strength drills on all lower leg muscles
    - 20-30mins of Pose drills.

Then twice week, loads of pillates style work on stomach, obliques, hamstrings & hip flexors using a swiss ball and ankle weights.

I tried to maintain this routine for my first few work-sessions but I could not perform as the legs were too tired. Breathing/HR was fine. Clearly work-sessions and those daily drills are not compatible for me.

I'm struggling with my weight so I wonder if I'm too muscular now?

Therefore, I've improvised my schedule to spend more time running. So for example, no more biking/swimming. Indoor pose drills have been incorporated into outside recovery runs.

Question: Now that I've done my work-session should I go for a recovery run 30mins at 65-70%MHR later tonight???
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Just read the thread for last few days...

Fantastic racing by various people. A collective well-done to you all. :-))

Stickless: Those young couples are probably feeling guilty from the Xmas-Excess. They will run today, maybe a few weeks into Jan but unlikely to take it any further. Whereas you on the on the hand, my dear.... ;-)))

• hi
    back from just over 2 miles down the canals
    enough to exhaust me and start me coughing
    ive asked a lot of my body in the last few weeks
    run ruined by inconsiderate bar stewards with loose dofs
  • Afternoon

No snow here. although there has been the odd flurry, but it doesn't settle. Did think of BT, when i heard Kent had it bad, they always do. We sometimes seem to escape it, although nrg-b to the west of me seems to have it too.

Woke late. Well thats a lie, woke early 5am came on here deciced not to post till i had my run. Went back to bed and woke up gone 9am Plan was as close to 2 hours as poss as not done a run over 10 miles since mid nov (12th) that was 14 then longest since 8½.
    Certainly glad it wasn't Jan 27th lwast i've got 33 days before the race i was freaking out over just a week ago. How times change.

I had some good lyrics today but never mind.

Anyway

What: 12.32 miles
    Why: long run
    Last Hard: today
    Todays thought: Go the distance

couldn't find hrm strap so ran as i felt, but tried to average 10:15 miles thought 10 minute miles might be too fast and i wouldn't last the distance

Very very happy with the distance struggled a bit around 10 miles but as i was still over 2 miles from home, if you excuse the pun i had to plough on snow or no snow.

Passed some adults with some children (twice) they had those mini motorbikes they like these days, coming back i had to run up a steep mud/sand bank and down the other side, one of the men said to me "watch your speed" ;o)

Anyway i averaged 10:12 miles
    slowest 10:25
    fastest (12th) 9:56

there was a headwind in places but delighted today

1362 miles
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    sub 'on the on the hand' for 'on the other hand'

(((PH)))
  • nrg
    i am just keeping going
  • nrg-b, yes go and run again.
  • Afternoon

1946.5 miles

Took me ages to add it all up but I have an online excel one so wont have same trouble next year;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Well done poppy

I have a very basic spreadsheet. So i just put in my miles for each day and it adds it all up.
    Last year i had the problem of adding it all up. Not this year. Or even next year.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    URR: Wow 109miles is fantastic! How much of your weekly running is outside then on a treadmill? Also what intensity do you run at eg 80% of the miles at an easy pace etc etc etc)???
  • hm
    1333 for me
    thats nearly 300 down on last year
    and
    nearly
    500 of that is racing
  • Thank you Miss L toe:-)

I started my excel one which is fantastic it does so much my shoe mileage races etc in October so cant wait till this time next year!!

I am eager to make 2000 for the year but running(sorry) out of time:-)

But if I switch LSR to saturday I could just make the deadline;-)

That is good mileage you have Pammie

Hipps good mileage and I am sure next year there will be plenty more with you being a lady of leisure;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WP - 1946.5 miles done.

4 days left after today...

Are you thinking what we're thinking?
  • WP - add in a VERY easy 3 mile trot each day and that's 12 taken care of (15 if you do one today).
  • I know what im thinking
    poppy-you COULD do it
  • I use the running log online at coolrunning.com, which gives you all the stats you can possibly want - I have started using it in November though, so no mile count for this year.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    PH: So far, this year you've ran 3 miles more then me.
  • BR;-)

I have already done the sums;-)

So yes I am thinking what you guys are thinking:-)

I run home from work every day so thats the 3 taken care off;-) back in work tomorrow..boo hiss

Hipps
    I could just do it;-)

I Will make it my goal!!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Afternoon,

Some very good racing on Boxing Day, well done to all.

FL..good pb. I bet you can't wait for a 10k race to come round and see what you can do.

What: 10 miles very early this morning. When I started off it was lovely and sunny with a covering of snow. Which made it slippy under foot. Ran down to the canal and had a very enjoyable run. Last mile the weather change and it started to snow, blizzard like conditions. Has been behaving like that on and off for most of the day.