nooobie need some help please!!

hi there this is my first post and im after some advice please!
im currently serving with the air force in cyprus and have just started to try and get back in shape and loose a lot of weight (im 18.5 stone!!)im having a lot of trouble running .
basically a few years back i was diagnosed with anterior compartment syndrome and had an operation to try and eliviate the problem,whilst it worked to an extent im still getting pain in that area of my shins .
also i am getting a LOT of pain on the bottom of my feet around the outside(other side to my arches!)after doing circuits which involve even the slightest bit of running i get so much pain i can hardly walk afterwards, but give it an hour and there is no pain at all??
i am alos getting the usual lower back pain , but i put this down to being so overwieght!!

has anyone got anyideas on what is causing this pain and what i can do to help?? ive tried strecthing the area but it is so difficult to find the right strecth to do it ??

i am wearing mizuno wave shoes which are about 10 months old.

please help as i used to enjoy running so much!!

thanks
steve

Comments

• No idea Steve but if it was me and I was starting my running career I'd pay for profesional advice. Could be the best money you ever spend.
  • I think I'd toddle off to a good shoe shop and get some new trainers. Make sure you go somewhere that does gait analysis so you get the right type (motion control, neutral, cushioning.....)

Might not be so easy as you're in Cyprus! Is there a physio out with your unit? S/he might be able to give you some advice on trainer choice and take a look at your stance.
  • Problems with the legs usually start with the feet so you really do need to get your gait analysed. This might be a bit difficult in Cyprus but as HH says do you have a physio or even the medic might be able to help.

Until you get this sorted can you continue walking (there are some pretty impressive hills/mountains in Cyprus which you can use to kickstart your weightloss/fitness regime?
  • Seconding (thirding) Gillian and Heckenhocker - I'd guess your shoes are either knackered or just wrong for your gait, but as everyone says, the best idea is to get someone qualified to look at you. Surely in the forces you're over-run with PTIs and physios? If not, I'm writing to the MoD!
  • Steve

I started running again two years ago and bought some Mizuno Wave's from a local sports shop. When I got up to 6 mile distance I found that the sole of my right foot started to hurt. This progressed to me not being able to run 500 yards due to the pain.

I went to a podiatrist who gave me inserts for my work shoes and recommended a local running shop (www.sweatshop.co.uk) to get some better shoes. I took my Mizunos in and they said that they were good shoes but totally wrong for me. They recommened a few makes that I tried in the car park and I bought Asics GT2100's.

I've since completed a half-marathon in them, replaced them with a new pair and am now training for the London Marathon.

That was all a very long way of saying "go to a pucker running shop and get shoes that are right for your feet".

If you've already done that, sorry. It probably won't solve all your problems but its a good place to start.
  • thanks for the quick replys people ,
    i am going to see the doctor tomorrow but im not holding my breath, i just know the answer fromhim will be "stop running then".pti's are just as usless and just refer me to the doctors!!! hopefully the doctor will se sense and refer me to the station physio.
    i do a lot of walking , my wife and i have an 8 motnh old boy who goes in a rucksack carrier on my back when we go walking! and i also do a lot of mountain biking .
    when im running i just feel as though im doing it wrong and im contious about it all the time.for instance on a treadmill i always look down at my feet and i tend to wobble occasionally??(i think i have poor balance!)

just so you know i had my feet measured by a running shop in stoke on trent in the ukand he also watched me walk acroos the room with no socks and shoes on. he said i lack stability and i am very flat footed,which is why he recommended the mizuno waves i have now. theyfelt alright in the shop but i suppose since they have broken in they have just never felt right (expensive mistake!!)
    funnily enough i have heard the shop went out of business!!.
  • as im in cyprus and i dont speak a word of the language can any one recommend some decent shoes for a heavy weight like myself who lacks stability, i also have a wide foot too if this helps!!
    up untill the age of about 17 i was running xc at district level!! just goes to show what happens when you let yourself go!!
  • It might be worth a look at NB 854. My son is extremetly flat footed (so much so he used to almost walk on his ankles) He has run and trained for a half marathon in these with no problems. You sound as if you need something with lots of support.
    It is always worth trying on a few different shoes though so you get the different feel of them.

Good luck at the doc's and I hope they are a bit more forthcoming. Ask for a second opinion or referral if you are not happy (Which I know is not going to be easy to get in the forces)
  • Mizuno do a lot of shoes called wave and not all are stility/motion control so you need to check the model. Doesn't sound like you have the right ones at the moment
  • You could try Saucony Grid Hurricanes too. They are brilliant for me and i'm really unstable! They are quite pricey at £90 but i always get the previous model for less than £60.
  • Another thought - if you've got back problems, sciatica is a possibility. The very quick recovery from very ouchy pain makes me think of unhappy nerves.

Try to find out about core stability work. Pilates if you can, although Pilates really needs a good teacher at the beginning.

Good luck.
  • Sounds like your discomfort with running might be a factor. You definitely shouldn't be looking at your feet.

When you next try the treadmill, keep the speed low and put your hands near the rails (so you can steady yourself if necessary). Now try to run looking forward. Or when you are out walking, try running just a few steps every now and then to get used to the motion - building it into a walk might help you stop thinking "oh I'm out for a run, how is it supposed to be".

Good luck!
  • hopefully the doctor will refer me tomorrw to see the physio on camp and see what the problem is !!! thanks for the replys people!!!
  • If you think you've got a problem with balance it might be worth investing in a wobble board. Used one when getting over bad ankle injury and it really helped my stability - still try to do an hour a couple of times a week. Mine was only about £20 off the internet (www.physiosport.co.uk or something like that).
  • How did you get on steve?
  • well ive been to see the docotr who examined my feet and lower back and then went to speak to antoher doctor who told him to refer me to the station physios!! so i now have to wait a week for them to contact me.
    the docotr also recommended that i do low impact exercise for a bit ( cycling ,swimming and cross trainer)
    it is all probably down to my wieght so if i can shift a good 3 stone then things might get better!! just need to get my diet in order now.
    im not going to give up though as i would really like to get back into running!!
    i will keep you posted
    thanks
  • Good luck Steve at least if you can cross train you shouldnt lose any fitness and will boost your weight loss too.