Rejected Five Times

I have been rejected for the last five years but have lived at four different addresses in that time. How will LM organisers know that mine is a genuine case? I certainly haven't kept any of the rejections.

Or to put it another way - what's to stop anyone claiming they've been unlcky five times?

Comments

• They do say that they'll check their records, but I'm not sure how they'll do this since you've moved.

Why not try giving the helpline a call (020 7902 0189) and explain the situation to them. If needs be my guess is it would be possible to prove that you'd lived at the other addresses, although if you were renting it might have been harder. I guess if you could tell them your past addresses then that would go a long way to persuading them that you weren't just trying to blag it?

Anyhow - give them a call and find out :o)
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Gave them a ring but they weren't much use. The chap I spoke to told me I'd be OK if I've notified them of my changes of address over the years. Am I the only person who doesn't notify FLM when I move house? I didn't realise I had to.

He also said they'd be able to link the applications through my date of birth but having put the phone down and thought about it I can't remember DOB being one of the details on thr outside of the envelope (I'll check when I get home)

Anyway I guess I'll just apply and see what happens. I have said I don't want do ever do another marathon. I only apply for London safe in the knowledge that I'll never get in. It would be a bit of a shock to the system if I was actually accepted one year!
  • As a newcommer to this idea of trying the FLM - is there any point of applying? Do you apply with the plan of running in five years time? How do yo have a training programme for five years - I'll think I'll go back and sit in the armchair for 4 years then! Seriously, is there any point in applying?
  • If the FLM bods checked their records of finishers by name over the last 5 years - they'd be able to tell by your race number whether it was a Golden Bond place or not - so I guess they could tell that way if someone's completed the FLM in the last 5 years via the ballot or not - and as 98% of all entrants complete the course I guess they're not that worried about the other 2%!
  • Norma - I know plenty of people who've got in first time, so yes, it is worth applying.

That's no guarantee of course, and you'll hear plenty of tales of those who haven't got in for several years in a row, but overall I reckon it's worth it. It certainly is when you do get in, and get the medal around your neck at the end :o)

It's worth looking at alternative marathons, just in case you don't get in though, so as the training effort doesn't all go to waste.

Iain
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Well I've applied now. There's definitely no DOB on the outside of te envelope so the best I've been able to do is to list the previous addresses I've lived at.

And Norma, Iain's right - plenty of people are successful in the ballot, just not me. Don't let my tale of woe put you off
  • Thanks. I've taken the plunge and entered - full of the knowledge that I can tell everyone I've entered - then - oh dear I'll have to tell everyone I didn't get accepted, BUT I would have done it. Which marathon do I apply for on rejection? Where do I set my heights, like I say I'm a newcomer to this. I have run for over a year (20 mins!!!) but |'ve suddenly managed an hour and still feeling fresh (9 miles to the minute) So the goal is there.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    I did Rotterdam one year when I didn't get in for London which suited me as my wife's Dutch so we could combine it with a holiday.

It's a fast flat course but it's definitely not an 'event' like London. Also Rotterdam isn't the most scenic of places.

Last year on the forum a few people were talking about doing Lochaber in Scotland which I think is quite flat, very scenic & low key.
  • Just one piece of advice Norma - start the training before you hear whether you've been accepted or not.

Regarding marathons to go for if you don't get in - from memory there's Paris, Sheffied, and the Robin Hood marathon all round about the same time, so it wouldn't mess up the training schedule much if you had to switch.

There's also the possibility of getting in via a golden bond place.

Regarding training, I think the main aim is to gradually build up the mileage/time on your feet. If you can run for an hour at 9 min miles, that's just over a 10k. The first time I did it I was aiming for a half marathon by the end of the year, which worked pretty well, so see if you can find a few 8 and 10 mile races to do over the next couple of months, and then look toward the half by around Xmas. There are plenty of online schedules around (try searching for Hal Higdon or Bruce Tulloch, or elsewhere on this site), or ask in the training section. If you start training now, you've got plenty of time :o)

Iain
  • I wanted to run FLM in 2002 as my first Marathon, but after finding out how difficult it was to get in went for Paris instead, which was the week before. It was FANTASTIC, and I would heartily recommend it as an alternative. Although it doesn't (quite) have the numbers or quality of Elite field as London it's still a huge event.

Entry was no problem, I entered via the website and was accepted straight away.

• If you need extra armoury for your Golden Bond charity application place you can build an online sponsorship page with justgiving

www.london-marathon-2003-justgiving.co.uk

It's not a guarantee to getting a Golden Bond place in the marathon but it does show your chosen charity that you've thought of all fundraising routes. Also if you do get a place you will find it very helpful when raising funds.

Best of luck.
  • If you're looking for an alternative to London, maybe you could consider Hamburg. As you would expect of a German event, it is a far superior Marathon to London every respect, especially the organisation and the course, and as Germany has a number of major Marathons it's not difficult to get in. Another point in its favour is that you avoid those awful painted medals London has awarded since Flora have sponsored it.

• I have spoken to the London Marathon people who assured me that they can check the address if you put then inside the envelope.
    Thats what Ive done. So hopefully?
  • Stuart,

I'm determined to do a 26.2 some time and Paris sounds great if I don't get into London. Do you mind if I pick you're brains later if this is the case.

I recognise that horse!
  • A good autumn Marathon is the Lausanne Marathon. Which as you would expect is run very smoothly. All runners can have their special bottles put out at the 5 km markers by the organisers, not just the elite. Pasta party for all. They run a full, half, quarter, wheelchair half and inline skater half as well as a childrens 4km and a family 5km.

Stunning scenery and entry on the day to what ever race you feel up to doing.

And some of the nicest medals I have ever recieved.

Lausanne Marathon
  • If you are looking for a 2003 Uk based marathon, details of the Edinburgh Marathon on 15th June 2003 are available at http://www.edinburgh-marathon.co.uk/. Good luck!
  • BK,

What brains I have are available for picking!

One of the nicest things about Paris was that it was the week before London - so on the 14th I could sit up in bed watching Paula's incredible run, with the smug satisfaction of having finally run a marathon myself.
  • Cheers Slowboy.

SB. Still thinking about your race next year
  • Kirsten, are they doing another Edinburgh Marathon!!!! I took part in the 1999 one and it was absolutely stunning but they said that they couldn't afford to run it again after only one year!!! Thanks for bringing this to our attention....it is definitely going to be in my diary for next year and I'll be mega fit after FLM!!!
  • You can be accepted first time! - I was accepted on my first attempt last year for FLM 2002 but unfortunately had to defer my entry to 2003 due to having to have an Hernia operation - I did wonder whether bequeathing your entry fee to charity or not makes a difference, I choose to have my money back, not because I'm mean(!), but I considered that it would be logical for them to accept those that wanted their money back and reject those that didn't!
  • Would cool to see you over here next year BK.
  • I'd heard about the Edinburgh marathon and guess where I'm from!!!!. I've joined a local running group and found lots of new runs. Now managed 30 minutes and starting a bit of speed work. Your group are a great spur.

• i suppose I ought to advertise next years cardiff marathon. For more details,see appropriate threads
  • I have been rejected through the ballot for the last 5 years but in 99 and 2000 I accepted golden bond places from charities. Am I guaranteed a place in 2003 under the new 5 rejections rule. Anybody know?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    If you read the entry form literally 'if you have been rejected 5 times..through the ballot' this only applies to your bad luck in the ballot. If you have been generous enough to run for charity a couple of times that is a totally separate affair. Get your entry in ASAP and good luck in the training and on the big day. You deserve it after all those years of negative replies.
  • Does anyone know the website that lists all the Charity Bond places and what they are charging?
  • I too was rejected five years in a row 1995 to 2000. I enquired with FLM as to why and they proved that the ballot system was just bad luck for me! Everyone with five rejections is put into the same 'hat' and some pulled out for acceptance.
    But I got in on the 6th year.
    Keep trying .... or break 3-15!
  • Peter

You won't specifically find a list that has all the charity bond places and what they are charging.

A number of charities are advertising on the FLM site on this page but do not say how much. Also a lot of charities advertise in Marathon News magazine - but again very few say how much they require as minimum. Your best is to find the ones that interest you and make an application.

We have about 200 charities who work with us to offer free fundraising web pages to gain sponsorship online - so once you have a place be sure to visit our site and set up your fundraising page.

Free fundraising web pages for the London Marathon