Options

Travel to FLM and Registration

Is it just me or what! I have a 2 hour train journey down to London on Saturday morning, I have then discovered (via the tube planner) that it will take me 56 mins to get across London just to pick up my number and visit exhibition and then another 49 mins to get back to my hotel to check in. I thought the point of the day before was to relax and not be jumping on and off trains all day and getting stressed out. I will be arriving at Marylebone train station and any one with any suggestions as to how to reduce my travel times across London will be gratefully received. I feel for all those other people who will be travelling further than me.

Comments

• Options
    Same position as you Jennifer, only I haven't worked out how long (or how it is possible) to get to the expo. I'll be arriving into Liverpool St. I would rather be chilling out the day before, and not traipsing backwards and forwards across London (our hotel is at Earls court) and I know I will be tempted to spend the afternoon at the exhibition, instead of sitting with my feet up!

Does anyone know why they don't send out the numbers? Is it just to make sure we are all around, and not tempted to try and travel in on Sunday morning?
  • Options
    Well, you might be lucky with your tube/DLR connections, but there's no way of getting from Marylebone to the London Arena in much less than 50 minutes. I strongly recommend that you don't take a taxi - expensive and likely to take as long or longer. Hopefully you'll get a seat on the Tube.
  • Options
    Jennifer i would walk to baker st station then take the jubilee line to canary walf - i think you should be able to walk to the Expo from there ( it will be about 3/4 mile i think), otherwise take DLR. as a londoner i would say avoid any tube going through Kings X and let you know a taxi will probably cost you about £30 !
    good luck
  • Options
    I suspect the reasons they don't send out numbers are because:

- the organisers want people to attend the exhibition;
    - for logistical reasons: remember it's not just a number - they've also got to issue championchips, kit bags, etc;
    - to reduce the number of people cheating by giving/selling their number to someone else (you have to sign for it when registering);
    - to encourage people who aren't going to run, formally to withdraw, rather than just not showing up on the day.
  • Options
    I agree with donutto re why the organisers don't send out everything by post. As it is people have not got their final magazine complete with registration number in the first mail out, so imagine the stress you would be under if you hadn't had in time your number, kit bag, chip (without which you cannot legally claim to have completed the course), and of course goodies.

I agree it's a hassle to have to spend your Saturday mainly travelling, especially if you're not used to London once you're here, but try and relax and enjoy it and you'll feel a bit better. Also, remember that while they may not look like it, a large number of the people you come across on that day, heading in the same direction as you, are fellow FLMers and are all with you in mind, body and spirit!

Good luck and enjoy your weekend.
  • Options
    I have a problem as my girls football team has a semi-final match saturday morning. Therefore I am off on Thursday to register. Looking at my map it seems that I can drive to Stratford (from Norfolk) and travel from there on the DLR(I believe that there is a carpark at Stratford) Is this a good idea?