I thought the point was to run...

I have recently re-taken up running after about 4 years off. To be honest, I was never a dedicated runner and only ran as part of other fitness regimes.

So now I'm really enjoying it (splints aside), but I am confused.

I was reading in RW about pace groups in the FLM. Particularly, I am confused about the run/walk group. I mean, I can see the benefit, but I thought the point was to run the distance.

I've also seen it for other races - is this a common technique?

Comments

• oh boy...what have you started

here comes the whirlwind
  • Debtman,

I absolutely agree, I mean, if you're not going to finish in the top 50 or so, what's the point.

(Lights touch paper, withdraws to safe distance, don's safety goggles and awaits fireworks display).
  • 26 miles is a long way to run mate, and not everyone is a top athelete. This type of technique is actually supposed to be quicker for a certain group/type of people that just running slowly all the way.
  • There isnt any rule that says you have to run in a race,Maurice Greene could walk the 100 metres if he wanted.I can understand your point,but its the individuals choice how they go about the race.
  • No. I'm not going to say anything contentious,...........

EXCEPT......DebtMan go to this site:--

It’s Good to Walk
  • Rumour has it that when the marathon was re-introduced as a race distance sometime late in the 19th century, even the elites took walking breaks, and participants were fortified during the race with whisky and beef stew.

Those were the days!
  • I had to take a walking break in my first FLMand still got sub 3.45. For some it's just doing the distance and taking part.
  • Go on shoot me down in flames but...
    Was anybody else surprised that the Flora 1000 mile challengers were...
    WALKING!!!

I mean...
  • I am doing the marathon but am certainly not running all the way. I think it is not fair to say that the point is too run, as the point is to raise money for charity, have a fantastic day and as get across the finish line.

The majority of people who have done the marathon b4 that i know have said that u have to be a elite athelete to run the whole distance comfortably.
  • Didn't I hear that a sub 3 hr runner takes walking breaks every so often ? Sounds interesting....
  • People take part in races for different reasons.

Personally, if I didn't think I could run the full distance then I wouldn't take part.

I have respect for those that don't do sub 4 hour marathons because over 4 hours is a long time on your feet whether you are running or walking so I certainly wouldn't knock these people.

All I ask is that re. FLM and other busy races that people place themselves in the realistic pens at the start and don't clog up the start for those that are running for a good time.

I'm legging it now cos I'm sure to have pissed on somebodys chips! LOL
  • I intend to run all the way if i don't managed this i will in my mind have failed,this is the goal i have set myself.
    Good luck to anyone doing the distance walk or run,your out there doing it your own way.
  • No.3, I am assuming this is your first marathon?

Nobody knows on their first whether they can actually finish one because of course they have never done the distance, but by following a training plan that is aimed at running all the way round will give you much confidence.

Good luck!
  • Wolfy
    yes this is my first and i've followed the runners world programme religiously,but have been hampered by a hamstring injury over the last couple of weeks and have missed a few sessions.Even if i don't managed to run all the way i have achieved something as until i started training for flm i had never run further than half marathon.
  • Ah ha - good responses all :-) But let me just claify my position. As a "new" runner, I am truly curious about lots more aspects of the sport of running, since I enjoy it so much more this time round.

I do get the point of interval training and have used it myself in the past.

But this is the first time I have heard of walking in the marathon as well as running. I certainly wasn't advocating that all entrants SHOULD run (rocks!!) and I didn't mean to offend (Sara), I was just wondering...

I wouldn't have considered that running 26 miles would have been a viable option for me, but I think the walk/run pace group next year might be a good stepping stone to a faster PB the year after and so on and so on.

What do you reckon?
  • Bruce Tulloh in his book 'Running Over Forty' - it happens to us all (hopefully) - reckons the secret of getting round your first marathon is walking 5 mins every hour. Something about replenishing glycogen from fat stores.

I'm gonna try running it - my 20 milers have gone really well. I reckon energy gels are the key.
  • I believe there is a theory that for certain runners it is actually quicker.

I also vaguely recall a relatively fast runner who tried it and only took about 5 minutes longer overall with the walking breaks as the running bits sped up.
  • I hate to hijack my own thread with such a contentious statement (especially with Velociraptor lurking around here somewhere) but you can't replenish glycogen stores from fat!

I might have to ask for my internet access at work to be taken away from me....I spend more time on here than I do working!!
  • Hi -

On a related issue, I am just wondering if it is sensible to try the run-walk programme on the day if I have spent the whole of the training trying to run (albeit in a slow, staggering fashion)...

I dont know whether to just run as far as I can and then walk sporadically, or actually plan in a certain number of walk breaks at set times.

Or maybe it doenst matter??

Hmmm....

• I have done 2 half marathons "running as far as I can, and then walking sporadically" and I haven't felt that they have gone well.

I am intending to run 5mins/walk 1min on Sunday. I have run some of my longer runs using this formula, and you can slip into the rythmn quite easily, I don't think that you need to have trained at it. I think it's probably good to use a bit of discipline such as the run5/walk1 or you either find yourself running to far/ fast early on, or walking breaks get longer and longer!
  • Probably better to plan in walking breaks Sara. The other thing is if you do intend to run/walk don't leave it too late to start your walking you won't get the recovery walking gives you if you are very tired.

Debtman you're right that you can't replenish glycogen stores from fat, what appears to happen with slower runners and run/walkers is that their bodies learn to use fat more readliy than 'fast' runners who are very dependent on 'glycogen' Slow runners do not hit the wall like the fast runners during long runs like a marathon. However, and I have personal experience of this, slow runners who've been on their feet for many hours get very tired!! but it's not the same as glycogen loss.
  • One thing I've noticed with run/walk 5's and 1's , after some distance into the marathon, is that the running part increases by 5 secs per cycle and and the walking part decreases by 5 secs per cycle. At least that's the way it feels!! :-)
  • Give me the run 5 - walk 1 method any day of the week. If you guys (and gals!) can run it all then great, go for it - I'll see you at the finish eventually! But for me, the run 5, walk 1 is faster than walking (even over a distance as short as 3 miles!), so I'll be sticking to that method - and with a bit of luck, I'll get to the finish line.

In fact, sod the luck - I'm getting there even if it's on my hands and knees - but that's another method altogether, and not one I've practised in training - wonder if I should do a few crawling sessions??? lol
  • Of course, I meant to say that run 5, walk 1 is faster than "running"!
  • When I was a member of Barnet & District A.C. us "slower" runners used the mantra start slowly and slow down for most races. In the FLM and don't be afraid to walk if you have to. Just make sure if you are taking walking breaks you start near the back of the field and try not walk in the first 6 miles - get past Cutty Sark first.
    Good Luck to you all.
  • Sorry if I came accross as a bit testy. Its just that I have slogged my guts out training for this marathon from a complete beginner to a sub 5.5 time, and I am proud that I am going to complete it, no matter what method i try.

(Beware sob story coming up)I have had so many negative comments from people who think I won't be able to do this, but I am going to show them that I can, running, walking, blood, sweat, tears etc etc. LOL

Sorry again, but I have a strong veiws. ;D
  • Go for it Sara.

Don't forget you've got 32000 friends!! running with you as well as many more supporting as spectators!!!!
  • Sara,turn those negative comments into fuel for your run,you will complete it, you will do well,you will enjoy it,its something about reverse psychology,there is always somebody ready to put us down,maybe out of jealousy.Good luck.