FLM Virgin

Comments

• ha ha...really?!lol!

i find it easier to go slower and just keep going. once i slow to a walk i find it so hard to get into even a jog again but loads of people have done walking through egevery water station on the marathon and even done it in under 3 hours so maybe it is whatever suits you. chris i'm doing the 10 miler tomorrow too. i'm going to try to start at 9.45 as thasts what time the FLM start is and stick to that every weekend long run from now on.

Lazer whats your training for this weekend? what about you Rio? George are you on the 10 miler?
  • Thats a good idea Sara, Im going to do a 10 miler as well on Sat. I dont have the net at home yet but will do soon so will have to let you know how it went on monday. Just looking for stuff on nutrition for you sara, if i find anything ill post it for you.
  • Here you go Sara, hope this is what your looking for, if not tell me and ill hunt again for you, xx

Running Made Simple: Nutrition
    By Mark Remy

Nutrition, like running, is pretty basic at its core: eat more fruit and vegetables; eat fewer chips and cheeseburgers. But you have so many options these days that they can confuse you. Here are four simple tips that will make eating easier, courtesy of sports nutritionist Nancy Clark.
    One day a week, go vegetarian
    Forsaking meat for just one day a week will introduce you to new, healthy foods; and over time you may even develop a hankering for vegetarian fare (which tends to be high in fibre and low in fat). Choose the 'healthy' ready-meals when visiting your supermarket if you lack the time or inclination to cook. Or make a hearty bean soup or a pot of vegetarian curry.

Pop a multivitamin
    Unless you have special medical needs, replace your motley collection of vitamin and mineral tablets with a daily multivitamin which covers all of your nutritional bases. If you're already eating a balanced diet, this should give you extra insurance.

Divide up your plate
    You'll go crazy trying to calculate whether your dinner breaks down into the ideal ratio of carbohydrate, protein and fat. Instead, use this easy rule: about a quarter of your plate should be covered with a protein food (lean red meat, chicken, fish etc), and the rest should be filled with vegetables and complex carbohydrates (whole-grain bread, rice and potatoes).

Be a nibbler
    A famished runner typically makes poor food choices. "Very hungry people tend to eat fast food or biscuits, and not fruit and vegetables that help to protect health," says Clark. So keep your appetite satisfied with several light, healthy snacks throughout the day.

Make drinking into a habit
    You know by now that you should drink eight 250ml glasses of water a day, and even more if you're training extra hard. So make it simple: keep a two-litre water bottle on your desk, and ensure that you drain it by the end of your work day. (Then request a desk closer to the toilets.)

• Good luck to her... i have another year of a-levels to get through before i go to uni, but im probably going to go to westminster. One of my good mates goes to birmingham, absolutely loves it so it definately comes reccomended! I wanted to read biology at uni but am not doing chemistry at a-level so im slightly hindered. Also considering taking a nutrition degree after my acupuncture one as this interests me a lot also.

Yes, im on the 10 miler - thinking of doing a 5 mile route twice and seeing if i can hammer the last 5 faster than the first. Tell you what though, all this road running is starting to do my knees in! Going up to southhampton to get some more running gear also, going to get my 'marathon shoes' as my nike's are coming to their end i think.

so...people going to be using their mp3's during the marathon? (asked this before but it got lost in the wires!) cant work out if ill be tied up in the hype and not using it, or if ill be relying on it heavily. Can see myself needing it when the going gets tough....

im being shouted at, better do some work!

• lol, I been and bought the Phillips / Nike PSA220/05. Great device, I only got the 128MB version but you can get 250MB and 1GB versions as well. comes with an arm strap and a waist strap. Its one of the most recomended MP3's as its got a Strobe light on it for use when your running in the dark so traffic can see you and it has absolutly no moving parts so wont skip like some MP3's do. IM going to be using it on the race day as i can not listen to it by taking of the phones if i get bored of the music for a while and then listen when i need some pase music.
  • pace even :D:D

ill go check it out - how many songs you got on there? what artists you listening to?
  • You wont get bored in London. there is a live band playing every couple of miles (all good running rythms) and music coming from everywhere. You will lose some of the atmosphere if you take your mp3. You will also need to be careful of not being able to hear other runners coming up behind you and risk being trampled or cursed!!! Take it if you wish (and lots will) but use it with caution
  • Its own personal choice at the end of the day, some people like their own music to listen to. I cerrianly do. Currently listening to Extrene EUPHORIA miixed by Lisa Lashes, BK, and Tidy Boys. currently only got 3 cd;s on there which is about 50 tracks but each track is about 6 minutes long so i currently got 2.30 hours of Bass Fun. lol. but you can recoed in smaller formatts im recoeding at CD Quality atm which is the largest file type.
  • its quite reassuring having someone with 'the knowledge' speaking out here and there - what was your time last year rio?
  • George, my daughter didn't do Chemistry at A level either and all the unis she applied to (list above plus St Andrews which she hasn't heard from yet) did not require it. she is doing Bio, Geog and Eng lit plus did Art at AS last year. Birm also does bril Human Bio degree course - thats the one she's going to accept i think.

i run with my ipod on treadmill but not outdoors (usually the long runs) as i find i don't need it and its safer with eg traffic. i'm definitely not going to take it on the day so am trying to wean myself off it - actually find i 'concentrate' on the pounding away better without it.

lazer, thanks for info - will digest it (ha ha) later when more time...have so much work to do!!
  • Here is some more fro you Sara, actually really usefull stuff

Nutrition and health advice

Most carbohydrate foods such as pasta or sugars are eventually broken down into glucose, so one type is not intrinsically better than the other. However, what is important is how quickly the carbohydrate is converted to glucose – and that’s where the glycaemic index (GI) is useful. This index is a numerical system of measuring how fast a carbohydrate triggers a rise in circulating blood sugar – the higher the number, the greater the blood sugar response. So a low GI food will cause a small rise, while a high G.I. food will trigger a dramatic rise.

The GI of a food is a measure of that food’s effect on blood glucose levels. It is calculated by comparing the rise in blood glucose after eating a food containing 50g of carbohydrate with the blood glucose rise after eating 50g of a reference food (usually glucose). The faster the rise in blood glucose, the higher the GI. The table below gives the GI category of some everyday foods. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to tell what the GI of a food is. Some sugars have a high GI (glucose) and others a low GI (fructose). Some complex carbohydrates have a low GI (pasta) whereas others have a higher GI (rice). Just before, during and immediately after exercise, try to eat high and moderate GI foods to help stimulate glycogen synthesis.

High
    GI above 70

Glucose
    Honey
    Jelly beans
    Sports drink
    Bagel
    Weetabix
    White rice
    Baked potato
    Watermelon
    Parsnip

Moderate
    GI of 50 – 70

Sucrose
    Mars bar
    Crisps
    Squash
    Bread
    Muesli
    Brown rice
    Boiled potato
    Banana
    Sweetcorn

Low
    GI below 50

Fructose
    Chocolate
    Sponge cake
    Milk
    Fruit cake
    All-Bran
    Pasta
    Baked beans
    Apple
    Lentils

• Just thinking about it, since Pasta has a Moderate GI would it not be better to eat a Baked Potato before a Run / Race as it has a hi GI content??
  • explains why some marathoners take jelly beans/babies on the day and long runs as gives you a quick fix of energy. still can't get my head round the simple/complex carbs and what is better when. think simple - such as sugary stuff is quick fix and therefore good as sudden burst eg when hitting the wall. but what about to store plenty of glycogen in the first place and also teaching your body to burn fat rather than carbs?? am i confused?
  • The best way is before a race you go through a week / 2 week phase called Loading, where you eat foods that are HIGH in carbs every 2 hours through the day, this causes the muscles to store the glycogen ready for use. you also need to taper off your training having a few rest days the week before.
  • George last year I did 5.25 but I didn't train as well as I could have and hit the wall at 22 miles. I think I didn't train as hard because I had done it already and knew how it would be.

doing it better this year after last years experience so aiming for 4.30. but you dont know what the weather is going to be like and it will make a difference to your performance on the day
  • i hope it rains as it will keep me cool,. Sara more for you dear. might be something for you in regards to burning fat.

Many high-sugar foods have very few nutrients, yet they’re loaded with calories. That’s why the concept of "discretionary" calories was introduced in the new dietary guidelines. If you log on to www.mypyramid.gov and link to your personalised pyramid eating plan based on your age, gender, and activity level, you will be given an allotment of discretionary calories. These are the calories that you have left after you eat all the fruits, vegetables, grains, meats or beans, dairy, and healthy fats recommended for the day. The good news for runners is that the more active you are, the more discretionary calories you’re likely to be allowed. For many runners, this allotment will be in the 200-300kcal range. That means, after you eat all the good-for-you stuff outlined in the guidelines, you can have 200 to 300 calories worth of treats such as biscuits, cake, or wine. Keep in mind that those extra calories also need to account for any added sugar in the yoghurt, sports drinks or energy bars you eat, or the sugar you put in your coffee or tea or sprinkle on your cereal.
  • thanks L,think i'm getting to grips with it now. i hope it isn't too warm as i get hot really quickly. Rio did you find last year more difficult because it wasuch warm weather? what is your training plan like for this year? when you say you didn't train as hard do yu mean number of times you ran per week or the distance covered or both?
  • questions questions questions Sara, lol. you ever heard of the game 20 Q? lol. no probs Sara. i got full access to this site as i got membership. so ask me anything and ill go have a search. I found that mypyramid site very usefull. -x- :)
  • yep, my 9 yr old has it on a computer thing!!lol! well i wouldn't want you to be alone with noone to talk to would i??lol!xx
  • lol? i suppose it is really me and you that mostly talk here, lol. must mean that we havent got much work to do.
  • Sara, yes it was warm last year but I think that it was more down to the fact that I hadn't done as many of the long runs as in the year before. I suppose I got a bit complacent really my longest run was only about 17 miles compared with 20 the year before! And I didn't train as consistantly. This year I am making a concerted effort to do some quality sessions alongside the long runs. And am actually enjoying my running more this year than last.

I think the warmer weather of last year was better (for me anyway) than the freezing rain of the year before!! I have never been so cold and wet in my life!
  • either that or we are just not getting on with it (like me!!)lol! actually have pile of docs/leases i need to start on...still at least it's friday...10 miler tommorow...aaaaahhhhh!
  • oh god i'm scared now...if it is cold and wet i would so easily give up! did you get ill afterwards?
  • i ment a little rain dot a british downpour!! lol. im going to do the 10 miler tomorrow as well i think, might even switch to hal hig's training plan so that we can all compare. dod you get that rain last night???
  • Sara please dont worry. I still had a great time and there really is nothing like crossing the finish line and getting that medal round your neck!! You wont give up there are far too many people round you to keep you going. And I wasn't ill after - a bit sore for a day or two - but I felt invincible so no germs stood a chance!!! lol

Last year I didn't even get particularly sore and I was back at work on the Monday! Really dont worry the atmosphere and all the other runners keep you going through all the tough bits.
  • thanks Rio, so good to have your positive comments. my confidence is up and down like a yo-yo!!

rained all last night here and this morning until about 9 and since then it's been lovely!

personally i feel the HH plan is just so straightforward it's 'do-able' unlike some of the really confusing ones i've looked at. as a novice i just don't think i could cope with speed sessions, fartlek, hill reps, intervals etc etc...Rio what do you think?

oh, more questions, (sorry guys this is one for the girls!)Rio do you wear a heart rate monitor and if so have you had any problems with 'positioning' it - i've got quite sore with monitor and sports bra rubbing together on me. on the day did you use vaseline eg between your toes or talc or anything - i've read it helps.
  • Sara just do the straight forward HH plan. As a novice I wouldnt do any specific speed sessions. That said if you want to vary your pace a bit there is nothing wrong with that and you could incorporate some faster bits ie between lamposts, into a run to stop yourself getting bored. These faster bits do not need to be flat out just quicker than your normal run (and dont do too many to start with). If you can incorporate a hill or two into your normal runs the great but I wouldn't worry about hill reps. Just enjoy your running.

As for HRM I never wear one. I don't feel they are particularly accurate for me. I would rather go on feel ie if I feel I am working hard then I probably am (and some days it might feel hard but your HRM would tell you otherwise so you push a bit harder and end up injured!)
    I didn't need to use anything to stop bits rubbing on the day. But if I were you I would avoid talc - its not very comfortable when it gets wet! vaseline is handed out by St johns ambulance people at various points so you can pick some up then if you need it. The only thing I might use is some compeed blister plasters as a preventative measure on my feet. If you haven't needed it in training it is unlikely you will need it on the day!!!!!
  • What about your nipples?? some people get whats called Runners nipple, which is where continuous rubbing causes it to get sore, some poeple use vasaline but others use whats called Nipple tape* no sexual enuendo's please* :) this may be something to consider.
  • Thanks Rio. i don't think i will wear my HRM on the day but it works with my watch/shoe computer thing which is great when training as i know speed distance heart rate the lot.
  • oh saras got herself a POD lol. i want one!!!!