Mendip Muddle

HillyHilly ✭✭✭
This event sounds like a real challenge.
Now I love off road running, but when you read in the race instructions "For safety reasons (so we know exactly who has started the race), race numbers will only be issued at Registration." And then being advised to carry a copy of the course map, well it leaves me feeling just a little nervous!
The course is described as tough, 420m of climb and mostly off road.
Anyone fancy this one? Its at a place called Charterhouse, a small hamlet, just off the B3134 in Somerset.

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Come on you lot there must be someone who wants to give up thier Saturday for this one!
  • Sounds great but I'm running elsewhere next weekend.

Congrats on your first vet & team prize @ Blanford. Shame you couldn't hang on for those last 3 miles for 3rd lady. Still, 5 more races, 5 more trophies?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks PM. I really had nothing left to respond when I was overtaken in the last mile.

I must learn to hold back at the beginning. Mind saying that my aim for this run was to see how long I could hang on to my road pace on the country. I managed it for 5 miles, then settled into a more comfortable pace, but I payed for the early pace in those last 3 miles. It's good to try different things though. Who knows I could have shocked myself and ran the whole distance at that early pace-I wish!

Hope you have a good run yourself on Sunday!
  • Hilly - I did the Mendip Muddle in 98 - it's certainly a challenge - but how much of one depends on the weather. If it stays dry then it won't be so tough - the wetter it is the tougher it will be.
    If it's the same route as in 98 then you hit the highest point of the Mendip Hills - and on a clear day the view's fantastic.Later on there's a huge big hill that seems to go on forever.
    Not sure how necessary the map will be - I was never on my own and was always able to follow the runner in front.
    Do make sure you set off sensibly because you do need to keep something in reserve for the closing stages - it's not a flat course!
    I'd love to be there too but as a part time parent I have my 13 yr old daughter with me for the weekend (which is fine) but I don't think I can ask her to hang around the Mendips for a morning. However I may be able to slope off and do the local Avalon League XC race at Salisbury on the Sunday afternoon.
    Incidentally - you give the impression above that you think the race is on Saturday - I've just checked on the web site and it's on Sunday - didn't want you to turn up a day early!
    Hope this is of use - enjoy the run and post some thoughts on it afterwards.
    richk
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks richk,
    you're right I did think it was on Saturday. It's a good job you said as I'd put in my diary for Sat even though the race info says Sun 13/10.
    The race course sounds very interesting, I hope it stays dry!
  • No problem, Hilly. You would certainly have needed the map on Saturday! Interesting it is - enjoy!
    richk
  • Hilly
    Sounds like you had a good run at Blandford - well done! I was getting worried about the Muddle after reading the above about taking the course map along! Looks like the weather may be breaking just in time to make it a little more "interesting". Hope to catch up with you (literally) there!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Lin,
    I know what you mean about taking the course map. I was nearly up for phoning the organisers to ask if it I really needed map reading skill, as mine are quite poor along with my sense of direction! Anyhow, hopefully there will be others around I can follow.

I will aim to get there an hour early so hopefully will get a chance to say hello! I'm not sure what I'm wearing yet but will let you know later in the week, when I decide. Will have a better idea of the weather then.

My only problem if the weather changes too much is I've not got any decent off road shoes yet. Oh well slipping and sliding sounds good!
  • Hilly
    Unless it's freezing cold I'll be wearing Team Realrunner.com vest (white/navy/orange). I don't have off road shoes either - the info I've received recommends studs, but I'll be slipping and sliding along with you. If I take the course map I'll have to take my glasses too - may as well take a sleeping bag and gas stove and be done with it! Just hope there's someone to follow. I just did a short loosening up run tonight and it was blooming hard work so I'm feeling a bit negative about all those hills.
    See you there I hope.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I think I might go for luminous green vest, just in case I get lost!

I have a feeling the weather is going to be a challenge.

I'm a little nervous about finding my way there as I've never been to that area before and it's a good 1 1/2 hrs drive for me. My other half is most probably taking son to football so might not be available to be my driver.

Hopefully I'll get there!
  • I haven't looked at the map yet to work out the best route for me. Cheddar is only about a 45 minute drive for me, but I may go across country (hone my map reading skills). Sorry I don't know the area well enough to give you any advice, but I'm sure you'll be O.K. I wonder if we ought to get some distress flares as well as the luminous vests - the weather seems to breaking up and dare I mention the fact that it will be the 13th........!
  • I've done it 4 times before and come over from South Wales and so don't know the area that well. However don't worry unduly as it's not that hard to find. It's aprox 20/30 minutes inland from the M5 turning for Weston-super-Mare if that's any help. As to the actual race from my recollections it's virtually impossible to get lost as there are plenty of marshalls to direct you. Also while there are a couple of difficult climbs (especially the last main one)it's not really that bad - i manage to run all the way and usually take aprox 15 minutes longer than my normal 1/2 marathon time. Hope this helps
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Stephen,
    I'm sure I'll find it. I'm coming from Dorset area so will be a different route to yours but I've got it mapped out now-so fingers crossed!

Thanks for the course description, it's nice to know it's not as fearful as first thought. I can cope with hills, but not getting lost!

Are you running it for a 5th time then?
  • Yes should be - i have entered but have a 50th birthday party (not my own i hasten to add)to attend on Saturday night so can't say for definate i'll be able to drag myself out of bed on Sunday morning. Anyway hope you find it okay and have a good run
  • Stephen
    Thanks from me also - I was seriously getting a bit concerned about disappearing into the depths of the Mendips, especially the state of the weather here tonight. Hope you have a good (but not too good!) party - and make it to the start!
  • Just a word to wish you all well - you won't get lost I'm sure, either on the way there or during the race.
    Have a good one and let the rest of us know how you got on.
    richk
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks richk,
    looking forward to it now, if that's possible!

Lin see you there hopefully, with my luminous green top. I'm not joking!

Stephen, have a good party and hopefully you'll be able to get to the start line.
  • Hilly
    Well at least I've sorted out my route to the start - I'm going via Shepton mallet and Green Ore - it looks quite straightforward (famous last words). I'll look out for luminous green t shirts.
    See you there!
  • Well, it's nearly miday and as I sit here looking out the window at the rain beating down, thinking of all those people on the Mendips (some who may still be out there, has Lin resorted to her tent yet?).... all I can think is, thank god I never entered it! But I do have to run today so in sympathy I will go now while it's still miserable, does that help..... no I thought not!
  • Well it's now gone 5.30, it's still raining (a lot!) where are you all, have you got lost on the Mendips, still drip drying or soaking in a nice warm bath? Well done all of you for surviving (if you have survived that is!).
  • I just found the results (address below). Well done Lin & Stephen you survived!

http://www.westonac.co.uk/Muddle 2002 Result.html
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Moe it was a great event. Shame about the awful conditions. I don't think I've ever run in such awful weather, my hands were frozen and I don't think my shoes will ever dry!

I was quite pleased with my run, considering the terrain! I twisted my ankles several times, but not enough to prevent me carrying on. Anyway there was no way I was going to stop on the Mendips, I was petrified of getting lost. Visibility was poor in places and I tried to hang on to a few guys in front so I didn't have to run on my own. It worked as I got back ok!

It was worth the driving for 1hr 45mins to get there, but I don't think I'd choose to do it again if the weather is like today or going on my own.

Well done Lin and Stephen. Lin was you the one I spoke to in the shower? I wasn't sure and didn't want to sound like a mad woman asking if I'd spoken to you on the internet!

Never mind, if it was you I'll know what you look like next time. I'm sure there will be a next time as I might be doing Brent Knoll.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Moe when I tried to access the results I get a message saying I don't have access to Muddle results on my server.
    I don't quite understand this as when I looked at last years results last week it was ok and now I can't even view them, I get the same message.
    Could you or someone possibly email me the results?
  • Heard the wind this morning and groaned - looked outside and saw the rain and groaned some more. Well done you guys - I can imagine what it was like up there today.
    5 miles' cross country in Salisbury will have been quite tame by comparison but it was tough going, especially since the alternative would have been to stay in front of the TV with a beer or too and encourage Paula to victory. What a girl!
    Well done!
  • PS - Hilly - have e-mailed you about the results, or have you got them to work now?
  • What a brilliant race this is - I must admit I thought we were all totally insane at the start, but once we got going I had a really great run and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was a bit annoyed to be pipped to the post, but found consolation in the food hamper prize!! Hilly - were you the lady with short blond hair who was having trouble with her laces? If so then yes we did speak in the shower! I looked out for your lumnous vest, but thought you may have decided to give it a miss as it was such awful weather and quite a journey for you. Catch you at Cheddar maybe? Moe - I hope you got really wet on your run! And who mentioned beer and telly, that's really cruel!
  • Hilly, Lin et al.,
    well done indeed for completing this one, sounds like quite an ordeal, but also seems like you had a lot of fun despite the adverse conditions.
    CONGRATS
  • Yes I did get very wet but I stayed on road and then only for 9.5 miles so I can't really empathise with you completely.
  • Now that's eccentric behaviour in the very best of british tradition. Congratulations all, sounds horrendous and wonderful at the same time, the best satisfaction sometimes comes from the hardest conditions don't they.
    My run was very nice and sunny thank you.
    Hope your trainers dry out Hilly (unlikely, before April let's face it)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Lin, yes that was me. Well done on your position, that was excellent running. You were a good 7 mins in front of me, I was 5th lady. I didn't hang around at the end. After I'd got my soup as I just wanted to get back.
    Next time I'll make sure I bring someone with me. I'm not used to going to races on my own, especially so far away. Mind I didn't have any problem finding my way, it was quite straight forward.
    See you at Cheddar. I forgot about that one. I know what you look like now so I will make an effort to say hello.

richk, thanks for emailing me about the results I managed to get them this evening. They must have been putting them on or something when I tried yesterday.

Laura my shoes had a good christening. They held up very well on their first ever run! Mad or what? I did get one small blister, but not bad considering all they ran through.
    I'm glad you had a nice sunny run. I think sunny runs are going to be far and few between for all of us for a while now. Back to cold, dark and gale force winds!