Antibiotics & Running 26.2

Hi all,
I'm afraid to say I usually lurk (...I'm a shy forum addict...(blushes)...) - but I had to come out into the open to ask for your advice.

I had cold/flu symptoms for a week and a half, which then developed into a chest infection. I'm now on antibiotics and steroids (ooooh!) to help clear it - will finish the course on Friday and am starting to feel much better. Haven't run for 2 weeks but that doesn't scare me.

I desperately don't want to drop out, but have done FLM (so I've already got that fantastic experience) for the past 2 yrs and want to get sub-3.30 (got 1:33 in Silverstone half). I know that's out of reach now, but should I jog round it anyway for the craic and risk further infection, or should I just switch to Blackpool in June? My charity are happy either way, so long as they get the money eventually.

Any words of wisdom or comfort?!?! Anyone been affected running on antibiotics before?

Jen

Comments

• FeldyFeldy ✭✭✭
    I ran a half marathon a couple of years ago (in the March) when I was on antibiotics & ended up twice as worse, 3 days before FLM I was so ill, -chest infection, cough etc,had to have more antibiotics and drop out of FLM worst part was it took me months to recover, I think it was July before I could keep up with my fellow runners in the running club! however if your feeling better why don't you go back to the doc on friday and ask his opinion.
  • Hi
    finished my antibiotics 2wks ago and ran 19miler 3 days after the last tablet been ok apart from a late cold but as its my first flm i am just going for getting round but will take the day as it comes.If your feeling better why not sample the atmosphere for a 2nd time; by all acounts it would be worth it
    Steve
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    Thanks Feldy and SS. Good luck if you are running on Sunday!
    I'm still feeling poorly. Have all but given up on the idea of running. I know that's the sensible thing to do, but when are runners ever sensible?!

Ironically, this is the only year I've trained well, used races to help preparation and taken lots of vitamins to prevent getting ill. For my other 2 marathons I just relied on good old Irish luck (- it mustn't work when you move to England!).
  • Pipes, I am in the same boat. I will finish my anti-biotics course tomorrow and while I have improved this week I have just had a poor 4 mile marathon pace run and feel worse today.

However I am planning to run on Sunday provided I continue to improve. If not then I will pull out. I will finally decide on Saturday am.

Good luck.
  • I know where you are coming from. The amount of times I've run with coughs, and even low-grade fevers, and have been running days after coming off antibiotics for chest infections..

However, I learnt my lesson when I insisted on going on a training run even though I had a stinking cold and a temperature over a hundred and ended up with an irregular heartbeat for months. It was very scary.

But, if you feel fine and strong enough and don't have any other race targets for the next few months, go for it. But be honest with yourself -are you are really well enough to run?
  • FeldyFeldy ✭✭✭
    Pipes - how are you feeling today, any better? have you tried going out for a 3 or 4 mile run? let us all know what you decide - if you go for it good luck - if not I know exactly how you feel. If you drop out you'll be able to do it next year, and probably get a PB but if your not right on Sunday you'll just jog it round, but the craic is top bananas on the way.

Cheers

Feldy
  • If you are feeling OK, and are prepared to settle for 4-4.15, just go for it. You know that you can always walk if it gets bad, and just dropping the pace 15 secs a mile makes a huge difference. I once took 4 & 3/4 hrs to do New York with bad shin splints; it was for a charity, and people expected me to do it. Bill ( also a Doc..)
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    Thanks for encouragement.
    Well, after another chat with my coach last night (who tried desperately to get me to say the words 'definitely not' together) I decided there wasn't much chance. Woke up this morning feeling rubbish.
    Then, after reading from so many people who have the same dilemma but aren't changing their minds, I decided to think again. Went out for a 2.5 mile jog, felt weaker than usual but still comfortable...and I think I'll probably do it!

I know there are other marathons but I love London and went through so much hassle to get a place. Got rejected in ballot, then club forgot to send guaranteed entry (cos I don't live in the same country as my club) before the deadline. I was gutted and became determined - put myself on loads of charity waiting lists.

Yeah - I'll do it. (did I just say that?!)
    Cheers everyone - hope you other sufferers feel better!
  • Yeah - go Pipes!!

Good luck on Sunday, hope it all goes well :-)
  • FeldyFeldy ✭✭✭
    Pipes - Good luck on Sunday, hope you feel ok, let us know how you get on

Cheers

Feldy