Where do I go from here?

Two months ago I found myself overweight, recovering from all sorts of injuries, so I got myself back into running to sort myself out. Things progressed pretty well for 2 or 3 weeks when I was offered a chance to do the GNR - a late entry for a very charitable cause. I said "yes" as I thought the run would provide a focus for my training, and indeed it did. I did everything wrong and ramped the mileages up alot quicker than I liked, however I felt I needed this for confidence. I completed the run yesterday, (a fantastic event by the way), and managed to get round in 2hrs 1 min. Although disappointed at not getting under my target of 2hrs, I raised over 600 quid which is a very nice feeling.

Now to the point of my question - where do I go from here? Do I start training properly? How do I maintain the focus the GNR gave? I almost feel a little deflated now the GNR is over. I would welcome anyones advice/views/experience as it would be a shame to let all the good work go.

Alan.

Comments

• Hi Alan,

Many congratulations, that's a good run!! especially in the packs of the GNR.

My biggest peice of advice would be join a club, having regular runs with a group of friends is the best motivation I have ever had. It really helps to get you out the door, when you know you have a group of people who are waiting for you, and sometimes you forget you are going to run and just look forward to chatting with your friends before/during/after the run.

Also, doing races like you said, really helps to focus your training. Target a few races to do and train for them. Joining a club would be beneficial here too, as people there will know of races in your local area, or where to find out about them. It also gives you friends to go to races with too, I have loads more fun at races when I travel there and run with friends, I enjoy the friendly rivalry and banter.

Andy "a fan of clubs"
  • Alan

A great achievement (don't you just hate the odd minute!).

Almost everyone on this forum will have experienced that 'post-acievement lull'. It's totally natural but it is temporary - unless you let it overcome you, but you won't will you.

Think back to last Sunday:
    what a buzz, 47000 people all sharing a common goal and experience, you running over 13 miles, all those people you beat, the cheers from the crowd, the thought of what a difference you were making to the lives of people you'll never meet by raising over £600, and then the finishing line, lifting your head up to the clock, breasting the tape (even though it had long since been taken down), clutching your medal, how huge your chest felt with the medal on it - no reason at all why you can't keep that forever and repaeat it.

Can you find another race in the diary, maybe a 10k, to give yourself a new goal. As for training some people swear by the RW programmes others (I confess I'm one of them) prefer to develop a routine for themselves - the important thing is to give yourself some sense of routine targets (eg x miles a month, going out y times a week/month) that you feel comfortable you can stick with -especially as the clocks are about to change & the nights will be dark before lots of us get home from work.

Hope some of this ramble helps

Keep posting
  • Andy/Nick,

Thanks for the replies.

Running Clubs - I've thought about joining a club. The thing that has put me off a little is my ability. I imagine myself red-faced, out of breath and miles behind everyone else! However, I will follow this up I think. I've got a web address from a local club and I intend to send an email off tomorrow. I like the idea of "races" but again it's the thought of always being at the back that worries me.

I must admit it was a great feeling at the end of the GNR, and yes that extra minute really bugs me! The real sobering thought was the sight of being overtaken on the finish line by a giraffe and a house!

I like the idea of a programme to follow. I'd rather follow something than prepare one myself - any ideas on where to start finding an appropriate training plan to suit my current level?

And yes, the rambling and replies do help. It gives me plenty to think about - as do the other forum threads. By the way - planned my next run out tomorrow night. My legs should have stopped aching by then.

Thanks again.

Alan.