Pacing

MinksMinks ✭✭✭
I think I'm just about starting to get my head around the concept of training at different paces during different sessions (intervals - slightly faster than goal race pace, tempo - around goal race pace, long runs - 'conversation' pace etc.) One thing that does confuse me though - how fast (or slow!) should I be running during a 'recovery' run?

I'd planned a recovery run last night after Sunday's long run, and thought a reasonably slow pace for me might be about 5:30/k. When I checked my stopwatch, though, I saw that I was averaging about 5:04/k. This felt fine when running, but I was conscious that it wasn't exactly 'recovery' for me. When I consciously tried to slow it down, my kilometre splits were actually faster than the start of my run! I just couldn't seem to slow it down.

Should a recovery run be done at around the same pace as my long slow run? Or slower? I normally run my long runs at 'conversation' pace, and this seems fine. My legs feel pleasantly tired after a long run but not shattered.

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean!
    However I've found that a Heart Rate monitor helps (HRM). Im no expert on these but I have ascertained what my approx 5k/10k/halfM/marathon heart rates are and then use the HRM so that my recoveries are slower than marathon pace. In this way I run my recoveries slower.I was sceptical beforehand but it seems to work OK for me!
  • Minkin

Dustin is right the only real way to tell is using a HRM, where most advice will tell you that running at close to 60-65% MHR is a recovery pace. If you don't have an HRM then this is difficult to measure but generally people run too fast on recovery runs.

As a guide you should aim to run at a pace which feels more like a jog and your breathing should be very easy (try running 3-3 pace, if you can't then you're probably running too fast.
  • One of my mates who has no HRM reckons if he can sing (usually Elvis or Frank Sinatra impersonations) as he's running, then he's running recovery pace - mind you, he's the one who also humms tunes as he's doing sprints!!