Do you use IPods?

Hi,

Am a new poster here, wandering do a lot of you use IPods when you train, I am building a UK site selling IPod accessories and we will have variety of solutions for people wanting to listen to their IPods while running without having to hold the ipod or get their wires in a tangle, I am considering putting an advert ina running magazine classified section but wanted to guage interest first.

This site has a personal interest for me too, I box as an amateur but been out injured for year and 5 months with knee complications, want to get back to my five miles a day routine!

Thanks for your time, am very grateful.

Comments

• Hi! I do, every time, and believe many others do! Good luck with the site.
  • Oh cool, I'll get an advert placed in the magazine, will sort out with the designers a discount code for you girls and guys on here.
  • Thanks! And if it's good we'll recommend it to all our Ipod wearing friends.

Now, I do not suppose you need people to test stuff?

I tell you what would be helpful, a case that keeps the shuffle dry but you can still wear it on your arm and acccess it easily, I have a band but one of my ipods got wet in the rain and sadly died.
  • Yip, iPod Nano for running here.
  • I always use my ipod for my long runs.
    Good luck with the site.
  • Hi UK2004: Sorry to hear that you have been out of action on the injury front.

I have an iPod shuffle and LOVE it, use it ALL the time, running and not running...

I do have a sports case which keeps it dry but you have to hold it or put it round your neck. I wear mine diagonally across my body. The wires tend to get tangled more when I am in the gym rather than out running.

I am with Stellina* if you want any 'testers', would be more than happy to provide feedback.

I haven't bought the arm band holder as it is not waterproof :-( Different coloured sports cases would be nice:-)

I am going to bookmark this site so please let us know when the advert will be in as I am really interested.

Many thanks and good luck with the website and the running!
  • Ive got the ipod nano, running with it at the minute isnt a problem cos i can put it in my pocket, but I have bought a nepronene armband for use when without a coat, not tried it yet, it only turned up this morning, ill keep you posted
  • I use an ipod nano on all runs! Look forward to the site, i have real probems with whatever earphones i try and i've tried loads! unless i wear a hat they always get pulled out by the wire flapping all over the place. Thos headphones that clip on are really painful forme,reckon i'm just a freak with weird ears.....
  • I use an ipod nano on all runs! Look forward to the site, i have real probems with whatever earphones i try and i've tried loads! unless i wear a hat they always get pulled out by the wire flapping all over the place. Those headphones that clip on are really painful for me as well,reckon i'm just a freak with weird ears.....
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    I use an iPod Nano whilst on the treadmill, but find it off-putting when I'm outside. I can't hear cars and don't notice people coming up behind me (does happen sometimes - I'm not Paula Radcliffe!) and there have been some assaults around here recently, so I'm a little wary of using it outside.

I use 'over-the-ear' headphones, which are comfy and never fall out!
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    I would add that a waterproof case would be good - if it fits over a silicone skin! Hubby bought me a pink skin and an armband, but the latter won't go over the former!
  • Never, peace and quiet rules.
  • I always use my nano for long runs. Some form of waterproof casing would be handy and I'd be more than happy to test your protypes ;)

best of luck with your site- keep us informed.
  • I use a Nano yeah, tried with a larger 4g ipod but it was too big. What would be great would be proper headphones which somehow dont work their way out of the ear when running.
  • I love music, but need to be aware of my situation when I'm outside....The only time I am comfortable listening to music, is when I am inside on a treadmill ( which I don't do that often)
  • I listen to my 4G 20gb iPod when I'm running outside, with the volume not too high that it drowns out any traffic.

I started off with a neoprene arm band (XtremeMac I think?), but found it a little bit bulky. Then when I bought a Camelbak Flashflo just kept it in the pocket.

I have since bought a Sugoi Wired top which has a popcket on the sleeve to hold an mp3 player and the cable feeds up the inside of the arm and out of the collar. It was a bit expensive but it's a lovely warm top for the winter (worn under a jacket as the shirt is a bit snug over my belly!).

Unless I can get a smaller holder, I'll have to get a short sleeved top. I didn't really want to get a smaller iPod as I have it in the car in lieu of a CD changer.
  • UK2004,

Another ipod nano fan here.

Wear mine on all runs. Love the little fellow. Being a bit of a gadget man would certainly put your web site into my favourites list.
  • I dont think you should wear I-pods / MP3's on outdoor runs. When i first started running i did use an MP3 player but then soon realsied I could'nt hear traffic, pedestrians or other runners.

Also from a personal security point of view anybody could creep up on you without you even realising.

You need to be aware whilst running.

I also don't think you should wear them on races either,,,, if you are trying to pass a runner who is oblivoius to your panting and footsteps coz they are plugged into the mains it is very anoying.

I-pods should be left where they belong, In the pockets of middle class idots who go to the 'pay per month' gym for 3 minutes per day to use the treadmill whilst watching Sky TV.

Good luck to all the Outdoor I-pod users on the roads.... You need it.....

Outdoors rules.
  • I almost always run with an ipod. I got a Nano for xmas having destroyed previous mp3 player with a combination of sweat & rain.

My wife bought me one of these

http://www.gadgetspy.co.uk/2005/12/06/nike-nano-band

which is comfortable & seems to do a reasonable job of protecting it, though having seen the price I think is more than a little overpriced. Guessing you pay a lot extra for the Nike logo, which has incidentally started to peel off (no tears on that front!)
  • "Good luck to all the Outdoor I-pod users on the roads.... You need it....."

No, I just don't run onto the road :). I fail to see how not having headphones would help in the majority of potential dangers outside. I can hear traffic well enough to be aware of it and i have eyes looking out 180 degrees in front of me. If a car decides to run me over from behind headphones will just make the trip to hospital more enjoyable.

"I-pods should be left where they belong, In the pockets of middle class idots who go to the 'pay per month' gym for 3 minutes per day to use the treadmill whilst watching Sky TV."

Hehe i've got one in my pocket now but of the above i only match the 'idiot' tag.

I've run in unlit places with headphones on, silly you might say but i think the chances of someone 'creeping' up on me are minimal, much more likely to get mugged staggering home from the pub.
  • This is starting to get into the realms of the cycle-helmet theory. Some folk say the the discomfort of having to wear a cycle helmet puts people off cycling and therefore more likely to be unhealthy and more at risk of death from inactivity.

My ipod use theory works a little along these lines - my ipod gives me the extra motivation to get out running further and more often so I see this as a major benefit when weighed up against the very slight risk that this poses.

(BTW, I do have the volume very low, and have my finger on the pause button at all times....)
  • I always run with my Ipod Nano and more than happy to "test drive" any new kit :o)
    I have the neoprene armband currently, but haven't put it to the test in wet weather yet....

Re: running with any kind of music etc - live and let live is my motto - can't really understand why people are so bothered by what others want to do/ not do. And I'd rather not be judged on the strength of whether or not I run with an Ipod or not by people that don't know me... But hey, that's just my opinion!

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Hegs x
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    i don't get people who can run with the ipod strapped to themselves, i run holding it in my hand, which gives you the ability to control volume for any potentially dangerous situations.

with volume control all the pitfalls outlined elsewhere are removed

of course its more awkward running holding it but much safer!
  • Ok off my soapbox now,

Personally I think the best part of running is being in the great outdoors breathing in fresh air, listening to the birds singing and the wildlife moving in the hedges. (My Opinion Only)

Missing that seems a great shame....

I s'pose if you've just spent 150-200 on what is a flashy MP3 player then you will defend it.

Also quick question if it starts to absoultly P#SS DOWN and you are 30 mins away from the house how do you keep your I-Pod dry.

I will try to use the same technique on my bloody 200 car key. lol
  • If I know it's going to rain, I'll wrap a plastic bag around my mini when it's on my arm. I have got mine very wet before and it made no difference. My wife soaked hers once too and it did stop working for a about a day until in dried out and has been fine since.

But weather proof casing would be useful.

As for enjoying being outside, agree to a point but living in a more urban area, there isn't that much joy to had running along streets with houses etc. And something has got to diract you on those 3 hour long runs.
  • Sorry not to reply quicker, have read through all your replies am really enthused at the number of people who are ipod fans, we will be carrying a large range of brands including the well known ones such as XTremeMac, Griffin, Belkin, Marware but also a few lesser known brands.

The emphasis of our service is that we want to supply only premium quality products alongside superb customer service, we will use brand new packaging, never shipping in reused boxes or padded jiffy bags and we are always available at the end of the phoneline, if you have suspicions about placing online orders then you will be welcome to ring your order through to us and any questions you may have can be answered by telephone.

I will make sure that I set up a good discount system for the members of Runners World here as you sound like a really nice enthusiastic bunch of people.

Out of interest are there any products that someone wants for their Ipod that they have not seen available on the market at all? We are looking into getting a couple of things made exclusively for our site but are always on the look out to satisfy customers demands or wishlists!
  • UK2004:
    Yes, a shorter lead on the earphones if holding it in my hand. I have to wrap the lead around the ishuffle when I hold it. Depends how tall you are I suppose as to how much lead you need. I am 5ft 4ins. Or a wrist strap to wear it like a watch (I think this may only work for the ishuffle due to the size)???

JENKO: When I wear my ishuffle I can switch it off you know and sometimes do to listen to the birds singing and just have some quiet time. I never compromise my safety and the volume is such that I can hear traffic/people. I am also a gym member and spend at least 1.5 hours there when I go :-). I spent £70 on my ishuffle and have a waterproof sports case so it has never got wet!
  • A headphone with a single earpiece would be a good idea as per forum

--Home > Forum > General running > Should you run on roads with MP3's?

that woould mean you could listen to your tunes and be aware on the roads.... (SDI Idea)
  • that's what I do - run with only one earphone in - best of both then :o)
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    Hegs - hadn't thought of that! Will try it 'next run'!