Saturday 18th March 2006

Comments

• SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone,glad you enjoyed the report.

Hollywood - Only having a beer or two now :o)

Minks - Yes,you understand don't you?

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    YahooooooooooUltraloo,

as the first and loudest amongst those who begged you not to, let me be among the first and loudest to yell

BRAVO!!!!!!!

And your account made me itch to try it.

So begin again here. It's got to be small steps, and for a while, going to have to keep eyes fixed on nearer goals.

No running today, though quite a lot of walking and time on feet. And time off feet, a couple of hours in bed this afternoon, and an early night planned. Day-trip to Brum planned for tomorrow, but I hope to get a short run in first.

• SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Rory - Go Ireland :o)
  • SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Hi Stickless,my right foot went numb at 32 K and I was thinking of you. I imagined your horror when reading the report :o)
  • Ultraloo, I knew you would run it and big congrats to you. Now why did I even think about talking you out of it?
    After your well deserved celebration beers, take extra good care of yourself.

From hero to zero, my entry for the day:
    What: rest
    Why: CBA, this bloody icy wind is putting me off beyond belief. Walked to the bank this morning and knew I wasn't going to make it out again. Can we have spring now? PLEASE??????????
    Last hard: ages
    Last rest: saturday

Train well, race well, recover well peeps!
  • Oh, nrg-b: 8% blonde beers, now why doesn't it surprise me some of my countrymen are involved in that ;-)

Tip: try 'Hommelbier' next time you're in the Ypres region.
  • Ultraloo, I knew you'd do it, I think many of us would have done the same. Congratulations - now stuff yourself full of Vit C, fluids, carbs for the next few days and enjoy your well-earned rest - and a beer or five.
  • Afternoon runners.

Excellent report, sportaloo, and very well done!

SGQ - I would just have a slightly bigger breakfast than normal, sometime before 9am. Hope the winds die down by tomorrow - Silverstone is horribly exposed...

Just been out for an hour. 8 miles, alternately at MP and steady. No idea why, but it's in MikeG's schedule, so it must be a good thing :-)
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Ultramegaloo: Fantastic Run!! I am very pleased for you.

Imski: I knew someone would pick up on that bit of international co-operation.

Did my 60mins steady as a progressive run on treadmill. Every ten minutes increasing the pace, finishing at 15kph.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Ultraloo, yes, I understand completely. I would have done exactly the same thing. There's a fine line between being sensible and throwing caution to the wind. Sometimes you just have to do the latter. I've always thought it's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Imski, I so second that! Spring please - now! Having been advised by Hal Higdon himself to run only every other day this week, I'm bailing out today because I ran yesterday. OK, I'm bailing out today because it's artic out there and as a 7-stone weakling I run the risk of being blown away if I attempt a run. And I ran yesterday ;-) Will be attempting a colossal three miles tomorrow!

SGQ, when I've been in that position I've had a relatively late breakfast (around 9am) then a banana or something fairly light 2-2.5 hours before the race. Don't eat too much or eat too close to the race: running on a full stomach is worse than running on empty. Good luck for tomorrow - hope that wind dies down for you.
  • WAY TO GO SPORTALOO!!

It feels good being an ultra runner doesnt it?

Interesting comment about it not feeling as bad as the marathons. I used to recover from mine pretty quickly as well.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    No, not horror, ultraloo, if anything a sort of jealousy. I guess the years have made an old woman out of me, always quick to fear the consequences. My kids tell me as much. Yours, the opposiet spirit, a spirit I admire immensely and envy not a little. That I lack it is perhaps why I am more often standing holding the coats than running the race!

At anyrate, it galvanized me into action. I didn't wait for tomorrow but ran my 3 mile loop. Tired a bit at the end, but no walking. Onwards and upwards.

Interesting today, Cambridge Science week has started, turning the university into a city-wide hands on science museum. Good to hear families wandering through the streets, scraps of conversation "... as the air heats up it expands you see...". I stopped in at the sports science exhibit. Mostly ways of measuring movement. I tried my hand at flexibility - rated a "good" which I was feeling rather vain about, after a teenager in front of me failed to obtain a "poor". But vanity dictated that I did not attempt the jump from a standstill. I tried it at home after - if I can clear 3" I'm measuring generously.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Todays run was for TmR. Blister the streets of Bath!!!!
  • SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    PG - Yes,it feels very good. Like belonging to a secret clan :o)

Minks wrote 'I've always thought it's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.' I like that.

Stickless - you are a star!

• Stupidly, I advertised whether anyone wanted a number for the EH20 as mine was spare (whoops, I'll get another ticking off, at this rate!) and didn't want the number to be a DNS. I know abou the troubles of swapping numbers etc, but was thinking of the £10 that I have wasted and the fact that the race takes no entries on the day.

Oh well, never mind, Fell Liker lives on with only one black mark against his name!

What 10k are you doing tomorrow, PeteG?
  • Ultraloo, fantastic stuff, celebrate well tonight, yours will be a happy household!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    FL - but people do that all the time on here! Normally race organisers are ok with it if you let them know you're doing it.

Stickless - that's great that you went out and ran today. Sportaloo is an inspiration.
  • hello

i'm another one that stayed up to watch the womens tri last night. overall i thought it was a bit disappointing but huge congrats to helen tucker for getting back on her bike after that crash. i really didn't think she'd even be able to get on her feet after that! have recorded the mens one and will watch it later.

good luck to everyone racing (mostly half marathons??) tomorrow - bath half, fleet half, wilmslow half, silverstone half etc.

hope the bike rides went well JD and debbo - i'm having a weekend off long rides - just 30miles tomorrow when hopefully it'll be less windy!

good luck with your swim tomorrow stellina - sounds utterly crazy. i've never swum further than 5km in one go.

lizzy - i wish i was as pitifully slow as you ;-) would be over the moon with that speed for tomorrows 30 miles - however i expect it'll be the normal 13.5mph.

happy birthday for yesterday sfh

*****congratulations sportaloo*****
    brilliant report too. i bet you are so glad you decided to give it a go. well done you!

what: 9.3 miles in 1hr39
    why: getting the running miles back up again - that'll be 20 for the week and more than i've run any week since luton marathon in december.
    last hard: sunday
    last rest: thursday

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Well done Ultraloo.... fantastic effort

well after a dodgey start to the day and feel really down, popped a few pills, got a massage from Mrs RFJ, then went out to run a few loops just for a couple of miles - felt OK so kept on going and going, the pain shifted from the neck / shoulder, and clocked a 17.5m run 9my longest this year in 2:16:31 (ave pace 7:48)

Answers on a post card as to where that came from.........

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    M - I stayed up to watch the women's tri too, but slept through most of it. My cycling is still very slow - today's ride was 13 mph. I was doing 14 at least last month. I'm doing a half tomorrow too - my legs will be knackered!
  • FL,stickless and clink

Thanks I am starting to see light at end of tunnel,not run in over 3 weeks but saw new Physio upshot I have another 2 weeks with ultra sound treatment twice a week.I have exercises to do and inserts for my trainers she feels as I tend to pronate on my left foot which is the one with the achilles problem and pain is outer edge if I had inserts it would cure it and not allow any reacurrance I am a bit concerned as I have been running 3 years and never had problem before but willing to givve it a go.I was told if I want to continue the high miilage I do I have to have them or I wont be able to run so hence I am having them on tuesday within my next physio treatment.

I am going to gym 5 days a week all i can do is the bike, abs and drowning in the pool so continuing along that vain hoping I will come back without losing too much fitness.

i have cancelled my rotterdam marathon hotel etc which left me feeling down and then yesterday my FLM pack came and really made me sad BUT I will be back running soon and will look for a nice race in May to target.
    religiously doing my exercises and looking to get a wobble board she had one that had a maize in the centre and it made it more interesting.

Costing a wee fotune but my running is worth every last penny!!

FL

really pleased you are back running and not getting any pain long may it continue for you.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • FL. Im doing the Dronfield 10k.

Minks. It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees. Fantastic!You should put that on a tee shirt.

maybe I will.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    WP - yes, I'll bet that was hard. Really good to hear you so focused with the long term picture in view. We're all cheering for you in these decisions just as loud as if you were racing.

One thought about the pronation - when it is absolutely better, get her to check the pronation again and if necessary tweek the inserts. I recall something TmR said about pronation not only causing injury but in turn injury/unbalanced muscles causing pronation, or something like that. Which means, things might change. Keep it under review.

Thinking of you and Stellina in the pool, and Stellina's dead frog stroke. I distinguished myself amongst even the dry-haired dead frogs once attempting to use a kickboard and flutter-kick.

I went backward!!

So I do frontcrawl more or less without legs now. Go faster, uses less energy.

• Sportaloo, hero! Wonderful race wonderful report. And I asked you if you were sure a couple of days ago... well you obviously were! Well done again, you must be incredibly proud and quite a bit hungry.

Stickless - lol!

M., I have done 6,400m last Sunday, and must admit that after 5,000m becomes a really hard mental challenge.

Glad to hear that you're positive Poppy! As far as £££ go, the next person that tells me that 'running is cheap, you only need good shoes and the road' is going to get a (pretend, nonviolent) punch in the nose! In these 8 months of swanky kit, 3 pairs of running shoes, physio, race entries, travel to races, restaurant lunches after races, subscription to RW, monthly massages, books on runnning, vitamin supplements, protein shakes, etc etc, must have costed like a family holiday to Thailand!
  • WP - How sad! My club mate had to cancel too, missed too much training due to a flu. Looks like everybody moving up one position then! There are quite a few RW people meeting at the pasta party.

What? 6m at LT
    Why? Saturday

One more run tomorrow then I am off to some warm weather training. Looks like rain though. Will try to see if I can spot BT and JEJ.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Evening

Babes eh DF, hard work but worth it:-)

AJH, sorry the calf is still not right. Sensible decision you made about your long run!

Sportaloo, just one word, AWESOME!

FL, you wasn't the first to offer a number and you won't be the last. As debbo says most race organisers are happy to swap details on numbers.

(((WP))) not easy now and not what you want to hear, but there will be more marathons and you'll achieve all those goals you work so hard for. Thinking of you!

• Sportaloo, very well done

Stickless, thanks

WP, I was just going to say what Stickless said was going to say. As you point out you have been running 3 years with no problem. imho, your changed gait is caused by the injury, which if properly sorted will revert to how it was without the need for inserts
  • Ultraloo you total star! I cried reading your report: you are totally inspirational and I can't wait to hear about Comrades.

I am another who would like to be as 'slow' as Lizzy B - although I did have gale force winds holding me back for part of my ride today (on the other hand, they were blowing me home on the way back)! It was scarey scarey riding at times, and a short distance for three hours out - just over 40 miles - but I hadn't done a proper outdoor ride for ages so felt very pleased.

Off to the bath now.
  • Hi gang
    I've deliberately been quiet for a few days due to my addiction getting the better of me. Yup, my addiction to the forums.

Ultraloo: how fantastic to have pulled that cat out of the bag. A real confidence booster, especially the mental angle. :-)

WP - a tough call, but I'm sure that it was the right one.

Me? Tomorrow is Bath Half. A real focus event for the build up, and a proper head to head against Hilly. I am going to get seriously whupped this time out.
    I had a deep physio session on Thursday: I think that the cold weather has been tightening everything up. It was a real teeth clencher.
    Zero miles Friday or today, following a sort of plan. The main element of the plan being to gain as many Marital Credit Points as possible before being allowed out tomorrow.
    Spent today in the garden, doing heavy manual labour and digging. I just know that I am going to regret it. By crikey it was flipping cold, that wind is cruel. I am nervous about the clothing I should wear tomorrow. Too little/ too much.

Maybe a hot bath and an early night will help.

Earlier in the week I was hoping that my baby cold would grow up, happen, and go away. Right now, I hope that it just stays quiet. It's manageable as it is.

Have a good day y'all.