Pregnant runners' club

Comments

• Oh dear, what a lot has happened since my husband took the computer away for three days. Turtle, I am so glad your tests came back positive. I was reading all the threads, getting ready for my message of support when I read that the tests came back positive. Must have been nightmare days for you both.

Good luck on 3 hour run Hegs, I'm very jealous now. I went for 10km run on treadmil today and had to stop after 8km because of pain in R shin. What have I done? I'm now limping as I had to walk home with pram for 3 miles afterwards. Worried I might have shin-splint or stress fracture... have put ice on shin (wine-cooler-pack!!) and trying to not walk, but hope that it is better tomorrow.. Had planned long run outside this weekend, probably be resting instead.
    Any thoughts?
  • Turtle I am so pleased that everthing is ok. My thoughts have been with you.

I have had some trauma of my own this week. I bleed at 12 weeks and presumed that I had miscarried again. Anyway at the scan, the baby was fine but I had an area of my uterus that is bleeding outside the sack.

I had another check this week. There had been no more old blood until a few days before. The scan showed that the baby is growing fine, but the area of bleed has also grown. There is nothing they can really do at this stage, except keep checking the baby is growing ok.

I am devasted as I really thought all would be OK. It was great to see the baby was fine, but it feels like a race against time for my baby to out grow the bleed. If it restricts growth the baby will have to be born and I just pray it is late enough.

I completely understand my husband' concerns but he has gone into over drive. He will not let me do anything at all and the cross training is out now. We have been through a lot to have my daughter and then lost twins in July. We have both agreed that this is the last attempt for us to complete our family. It has been 6 long years. Although we have come through it all stronger, we need to focus our life on other things. This is why my husband is so focused on making sure we do all we can.

He had booked a suprise trip to Budapest next weekend, but is adamant we are not going. I am disappointed but sort of understand.

The hard things is I am an active person by nature. If I am not running (which I had to give up at 12 weeks) I am always on the go. It is totally against my character to do very little.

I am sorry for the long rant. I have been saving it up. I did not post as I was unsure how I felt and I also wanted to know all was ok with Turtle first.

Marike - I would rest it although that is not what you want to hear. Have you had your pelvis alignment checked post birth?
  • Clare,

I think you really should try to take it easy for a while. My impression (no experience, unfortunately) is, that complications like this will dwindle as the pregnancy proceeds, so perhaps it is not for the entire pregnancy you should be inactive.

Remember, it is "only" for a short period of your entire life you have to turn the activity level down, and the potential rewards will be great.....

But I know the feeling: If you are used to being able to do a lot of things and enjoy them, it IS very hard to just sit around.

I hope everything will be well with you, and that you will not be climbing the walls at home..
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Clare, you poor thing. I know exactly where you are coming from re. being active. I know I'm not pregnant yet so can't speak from experience on that score, but just having spent nearly two weeks on the injury bench I'm almost climbing the walls. I've done loads in the house though - painted the bedroom, cleared out some stuff, vigorously cleaned everything in sight - so in some ways there have been benefits, but I'm hoping that my hamstring has now recovered enough for me to start doing more than the 1/2 mile jogs I've been restricted to.

I hope that everything is OK with the baby and that it doesn't have to be born early. Try not to take out your frustration on your husband - he probably feels really helpless and is expressing it by trying to smother you in cotton wool. I can understand that you must feel under pressure too if you've both agreed that this will be your last attempt to complete your family. Savour being waited on by hubby: it probably won't ever happen again! Can you go for gentle walks at all? At least that way you'll get some fresh air and feel that you're not being totally inactive. I do feel for you. Who'd be a woman, eh?
  • Turtle - that's just SUCH great news. i'm so relieved for you. HURRAH! and at least you know that your baby is a carrier of the gene, so that information can be passed to him/her to avoid having to go through the same as you have when it comes to providing you with grandchildren ;-)

Marijke - can you get to a physio? if so, it might be worth getting it checked out.

Hegs - have a GREAT holiday.

MMJ - glad to hear from you and sorry you've been poorly, but great news about the neurologist.

Trinity - what a dilemma. Have you done another test now or do you not want to? I know it's hard not to, but try not to worry yourself with the 'what ifs' etc about the molar pregnancy and the risks and being ill. If you really really don't want number 3 and, given that you were so poorly with numbers 1 and 2, could you try talking to your hubby and explaining this? It's easier for them because they don't have to go through all the physical pain and suffering (although they witness it and its effects on you), and they are probably more likely to forget more quickly...

Clare - very sorry to hear your latest news. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that everything will go OK. If you are sure that this is your last 'attempt', it's probably worth making the sacrifices that your husband is asking for, to give you and the baby the best chance, even if it's not appealing at the moment. And, if things do improve, you are likely to be able to start some gentle cross training again. Sorry about you missing Budapest, but they do a marathon in October and a half marathon in September, so perhaps when everything is well again, you can go over and do that in a future year?? i did the marathon last year (two weeks before i conceived!) and it's very flat and - in theory - fast (although i wasn't!)
  • My negative turned out to be positive, so am chuffed to bits, but now this is the just the start of a nerve wracking 8 weeks. Seeing doc tomorrow and hopefully get an early scan next week. Am very scared though especially with the traumas I read about on here, but do feel very positive, so fingers crossed.

Am not sure whether to run at all, but think will go for a 4 times a week plan of 30 mins or so, and swim on the other days. Very nervous about the whole thing. No ickiness yet, waiting for it to hit me though as was bad last time. Will check in again next week sometime.

Sorry to hear your news Clare, fingers crossed for you too.
  • Mitchie Moo

Thanks for your kind words. I am so pleased for you.

I can appreciate the next 8 weeks will be hard, but there is no reason for it to happen again. Wishing all the best and hope to see lots of posts as things progress well for you.

I am just taking each day at a time. Each day is a step closer and I am taking it very easy. I think I will have to take up knitting or something (Arrrggghh!!)

Thanks for all your kind words.
  • Another question for all you experienced mums and mum to be, i'm at 11 weeks now and my nausea seems to be getting worse not better, was hoping it would have gone a bit by now as we fly off on holiday on sunday. Still have never actually been sick, but having dry bokes, if you know what i mean in the morning, you know when you're sick but nothing comes up and really bad burping. Have to force breakfast down, but apart from that not stopping me eating at other times of the day, although i feel the food sitting in my stomach for ages after. Unfortunately my sister says her nausea persisted till about 4 months, so hoping i get rid of it before then. Its like i've forgotten what it feels like to not feel constantly nauseous.
    Also does the stuffy nose persist for the whole pregnancy or just a couple of months like the nausea ?
    On a plus point, managed a slow 30 min run on friday last week and felt fine, however felt pretty knackered over the weekend, not sure if it was due to the run or just coincidence, i also had to go shopping in a busy shopping centre on saturday for bigger clothes for holidays and that knackered me as well.
    Sorry to moan again when others have bigger problems than me, hope you ar all doing ok.
  • trinity

first things first - i'd recommend doing another test. you either are pregnant or you aren't - although your intuition tells you you are, so i guess you probably are.

at least then, you KNOW either way.

secondly - i don't wish to offend anyone's beliefs, sensibilities etc and certainly not your husband's, but, to trot out a cliche, it is YOUR body, and you are the one who has to carry it throughout the 9 months. i'm sure there are good reasons for his moral objections, but it's your health and your sanity that are at stake. and also the lives of your young children, whom you will not be able to look after 'properly' if you continue with the pregnancy.

i know it probably sounds awful and you feel guilty because there are people on this forum who are desperate for children and have had fertility treatment, or who are still trying. but your dilemma is as real as theirs.

is your husband's stance final and unmovable? what if you went to talk to an advisory service (there are lots in the phone book)? they can give you impartial advice and help with how to talk about it.

i don't think it's fair to be told effectively you have no way out... (again - don't wish to offend...).

((trinity))
  • mitchie moo - that's fantastic news! you must be very happy, and also very scared.

do go and talk to your GP. i'm sure they should offer an early scan given your previous history. they might also give you some advice on how much exercise to do (although probably not, if my GP was anything to go by!)

taking it easy on the running front is a good idea. and you will probably end up feeling rough soon anyway...

mrs o - i think some people find that the stuffy nose continues throughout pregnancy. my nausea only really started dying down at about 20 weeks. even now (24 weeks), i get days where i just retch and retch and retch. so, can't give you any advice or reassurance on that.

i've got ANOTHER cold. only got rid of my last one a few weeks ago, and am now bunged up and coughing away AGAIN!!! grrrr...

other than that, all is fine. i did a 5 mile race at the weekend in rhayader. hubby was supposed to be doing the 20 miler along with my dad, but hubby had the cold really badly, so stayed at home. dad did really well around the 20 miles, in spite of the freezing conditions! i didn't come last in the 5 miler either, which was amazing! took me 51 minutes, which is fairly dire, but could have been worse because there was one huge hill in it which i really struggled up. of course, i probably shouldn't have run because i was already starting a cold, but it might be the last race i do before junior is born, so i REALLY wanted to do it!
  • ...I'm going to delurk briefly as I read this thread for inspiration as we have one little boy but would love another (not much luck at present), but I just wanted to say that I met (decaff) Caramel Macchiato on Saturday when she beat me at Rhayader and just wanted to say to the thread how great I thought it was that she was running at 24 weeks pregnant and no way was she last!!! Keep well everyone and take care.....perhaps I will be joining this thread properly at some stage in the future :-)
  • SianH - had no idea you were a forumite, but I should have guessed because you were so friendly!

Hope your foot gets better soon and that you cruise around FLM...

And that you have a happy reason to join this thread properly soon (there are plenty of people who pop in and out and are 'trying' to conceive, so no reason not to say 'hi' from time to time!)

I'm taking my inspiration from Marijke who ran a half at 30 weeks (!) and was still running at 37 weeks. I'm considering a 10k on 9 April (if I can ever get rid of this cold!), but will NOT be doing any halves in the near future!
  • ....well, you looked as though you were managing well on Saturday so why not?! :-)
  • Have any of you looked at this site before. A friend just sent it to me. Scared me a bit, about scanning in early pregnancy being bad, all the additives in food, and I had two glasses of wine the night before we did the second test.

Wish I hadn't looked now!

Also wondering what you take for indigestion as my usual remegels are not good in pregnancy apparently.
  • mitchie moo

i haven't been on the site before and i haven't got enough time before my conf call to download the booklets and read them, but i just wanted to reassure you that i'm sure your couple of glasses of wine will have done NO harm whatsoever. as long as you reduce drastically once you find out you are pregnant, there's no reason to think that 2 glasses of wine in the first few weeks or so is going to have caused any damage. i had half a bottle of wine with a friend at about week 3 (before i tested), and a couple of glasses the day before i tested, and all seems OK so far!

as for ultrasound scans being bad for the baby - no-one will ever say that they are OK in 100% of cases, so even the info you get from the hospital doesn't say it's not going to cause any problems.

but i think you can probably worry yourself too much about everything, and you do have to focus on the fact that there are far greater risks to your and your baby's health than the scans. as for additives in food - well, if you believe the scaremongerers, we are all doomed because our bodies are pickled in preservatives and additives. generally, our livers are fairly good at dealing with the toxins and as long as you don't live on E102 and E110 during your pregnancy, i'm sure the baby will be fine... if you are worried about it, you could try organic food, and avoid fish like swordfish and marlin which have high concentrations of bad stuff. generally, the lower down the food chain you eat, the less concentrated the toxins will be, so eating lots of fresh fruit and veg (organic or otherwise), and good quality meat and fish will be the best you can do. unfortunately, we can't lock ourselves in pure environments for 9 months, so we have to make the best of the world we live in and what we eat, and hope that our bodies manage to build us a healthy baby at the same time.

i'm afraid i can't help on indigestion tips as i don't ever get it (she says... i'm bound to now!)
  • Yes you right Caramel thanks for replying, so easy to get scared! Have done something awful to the top of my foot, can't walk, so looks like running is out anyway. Trying to get to see a physio as is very painful.
  • ((mitchie moo's foot))

that doesn't sound good. hope it's better soon.

there are just so many things to worry about. and the more you read, the more you worry. and it doesn't stop when the baby's born either, i'm sure.

but i think it's important to discuss the things that worry you, which is why this board is great.

mrs o - are you nearly ready for your holiday now?

i guess hegs is sunning herself in spain.

clare - how are you doing?

MMJ - hope you are ok, headaches aren't too bad, and that hubby gets back soon!

marijke - how's your shin?

and turtle - how are you doing?

have i missed anyone?

i managed a 4 mile treadmill trot at lunchtime, so i think my cold is now on its way out. going to visit some friends in cornwall at the weekend and they have 2 small kids, so i'm sure i'll pick up another one then!
  • Yes thanks Caramel, ready for holiday now, got my first appointment with the midwife tomorrow so i can ask her all about what i should and shouldn't be doing/eating drinking etc in Egypt. Today it is snowing here (up in bonnie Scotland) and in Sharm el Sheikh it was 32C earlier today. Hubby is so looking forward to it as well, he works outdoors and has been snowed on quite often in the past few weeks and been feeling really cold, so he's really looking forward to some sunshine, as am i.
    Unfortunately haven't got out running this week due to either being too busy or if i did have time, feeling too tired or nauseous, but may get out for a wee one tomorrow or friday before we fly off to the sun (on sunday).
    I can't keep track off everyone on this thread, who is pregnant, who is trying, who is a mum already and how far along folks are, maybe we should all put up a wee post saying what our position is, i am currently 11 weeks pregnant.

Cinders how are, not heard from you in a wee while, how is the clomid going ??
  • hope you have a good appt with the midwife and that you have a fantastic holiday! you must be due a dating scan fairly soon as well?

good idea, mrs o. perhaps we should start a list? if you want to add yourself on, just copy and paste it into a new post. perhaps those of us who are pregnant should add our EDD, and those who are mums could add the birthday of their wee ones (if they don't mind?). hope this doesn't make it too regimented?

mrs o - 11 weeks pregnant
    DCM - 24 weeks pregnant. EDD 08/07/06

• mrs o - 11 weeks pregnant
    MM - 5.5 weeks pregnant
  • mrs o - 11 weeks pregnant
    MM - 5.5 weeks pregnant
    Clare - Sadie 2 Years & 17 weeks EDD 31/08
  • Hi Caramel

I am doing ok. I am going to see an obstetrician on Friday so should know more then. The baby is still growing well and the bleed does not seem to be affecting him/her at the moment. I have been told to expect to bleed throughout.

I am trying to get used to the thought of bleeding thoughout - but it freaks me out everytime it starts. The advice has been no running, no swimming, take it really easy and no heavy lifting. I am trying to get my 2 year old to understand that. She has been very good.

I am missing the running and have been both pleasuring & torturing myself watching the commonwealth games. Had a great dream last night that I was running and running on an autumn day through the leaves. The spirit is still strong even if the body is not at the mo.

Well done on your race. Have a great holiday Mrs O!!

• Mrs O - 11 weeks pregnant
    DCM - 24 weeks pregnant EDD 08/07/06
    MM - 5.5 weeks pregnant
    Clare - Sadie 2 years & 17 weeks pregnant EDD 31/08/06
    MMJ - Amelia 24 weeks and have just started the fun games of weaning and the poor little sausage also looks like she is cutting her first tooth!!!

• Caramel

Feeling alot better thanks took ages to get over that flu bug and the last couple of days have I felt 100%. Headaches occuring quite regular this past week but haven't done any exercise for a month what with going home for the christening, followed by flu, then hubby away for 2 weeks. Headaches seems to go when I do running and swimming. Have been out for walks every over day but doesn't really seem to have any effect. Back to exercise regime next week though (as long as hubby not snowed in up in Scotland and can't get back) so hopefully that will control them and have got my appt 19 Apr so hopefully may get some kind of answer from the Consultant then.

Hope all is well with you. Time is flying by only another 4 months to go for you, believe it will be here quicker than you think... (I shall leave you with that thought)
  • clare - i had a friend who had a low placenta and bled a LOT in her second trimester, but i think the placenta then shifted, and she was fine in the third trimester. perhaps the same will happen for you or have they said it won't?