Platypus/camelbak etc hydration systems

Has anyone got a hydration system that works for running? I have a platypus 2l pouch and tube, which would be invaluable for long runs in summer but the rucksack i have to go with them isn't really stable enough for running. I did one run with it but couldn't adjust it so it didn't move around and it was more annoying than it was worth!!

Anyone run with such systems? any advice on which to go for with a 90-120min long run in mind?

Comments

• Hi Lamb,

I've got a Camelbak Flashflo which is a waist mounted bladder which in my opinion is superb. It has external straps on top of the waist strap which you tighten as the liquid level lowers, it holds the liquid close to your body so that it can't slosh around, it really works well. It was reviewed in RW about a year ago and they rated it very highly as it is designed specifically for running.
    I have attached a link which shows you what it is like, please note I didn't get it from this website, I told a family member that I wanted it for a birthday present and they bought it on line somewhere, don't know what site.

http://www.backcountrystore.com/camelbakflashflo.htm?CP=AltaVista
  • Thanks, Homer! had a look at the link, the term 'fanny pack' still makes me laugh!!!
  • Makes you wonder which way to wear it? ;-)
  • I have a Camelbak Rogue which is essentially a cycling pack but which I use for running. I have found it to be excellent, there is a bit of "sloshing" but thats more noise than movement plus if you use the full 2 litre capacity it can be a bit heavy at the outset of a run. But I don't like tying things round my waist so overall I'm really pleased with it.
  • Cheers, guys, will definitely have a look at those...
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Have you tried the RunAID bottles which most running shops stock? I find the half-pint one plenty for 90 minutes as there is always somewhere I can refill it once or twice.

It's not enough for a race as obviously you dehydrate more, but for a training run it's fine if you are hydrated to start with.

Runnersneed stock them amongst others if you want to see an example online.

Mark

<http://www.runnersneed.co.uk/shop/media/runaid.jpg&gt;
  • There were quite a few people at the Blackpool marathon (I'm still on a high from the PB!!) wearing Camelbaks and seemed to be not having any problems. i use a Polar bottle belt with half litre bottle, that i arrange to refill/swop at some point on my runs.
  • You should check out the other thread in the forum on running rucksacks. There are a few suggestions there. I use the Lowe Contour Event 35 with a 2.5l platy and have no problems with it.
  • Thanks everyone! I have tried runaid but found them a bit uncomfortable, the hole was a bit big for my hand and the spout was quite fiddly, that's why I've been trying to think of new ways of carrying water on the run... I think a rucksack arrangement would be best as sometimes having the weight round your waist can be a problem. Will def check out the camelbaks - cheers!
  • I've just bought a camelbak day treker. I used it on my long run last night, and found it made a big difference to my run. I had my hands free from carrying a bottle, I didn't have to stop off to pick up other bottles along the way. There not cheap, I bought mine from Run and Become in Edinburgh, I would say if your going to be doing a lot of long distance training there a good buy.
  • I purchased a Macpac Activist which I am very pleased with. Holds 2 litres of water and has enough room for my work gear (I run to work). Very well constructed piece of kit. Quite hard to find as it a New Zealand product but I found mine at Field and Trek.