Options

Humber Bridge Half-Marathon

i know its early but ive just entered this one , and could do with some feed back from last years runners

Comments

• Options
    ran this race last year-and it was hot,hilly and hard-redcar it aint!It was over 80 last year made worse by the 11am start. i finished 324 out of 887 in a time of 2.07.01(just done redcar in 1.53). there is a killer hill at mile 8-9 and the return over the bridge just goes on for ever. last year was like a war zone over the bridge with people collapsing all around-there was a distinct lack of water in the latter stages also. the run over the bridge, at least the first time, is amazing and the start/finish is in a country park-enjoy
  • Options
    gazzam-
    i take it your not going to do it this year
  • Options
    are you kidding? i'm still having nightmares after last years 2.07. hope i didn't come across as too negative in earlier posting- as a one off it was only the heat that stopped it being really enjoyable
  • Options
    gazzman-
    well iam going to give it a try ,at the redcar race yesterday someone fell down the road works , so these things are here to test us
  • Options
    I have just finished my first 1/2M (Stafford) in 1:58....would this be too much/hard for my third do you think? Will be hopefully doing the Uttoxeter 1/2M in May
  • Options
    steven-
    no steve i don,t think it would be to much for you , a half a month is plenty off time for recovery in between
  • Options
    This may be my first half, I suppose it'll get easier after thsi one then?

BTW, is the 10k 3 weeks before any kop?
  • Options
    The start is a little earlier this year and last year the weather was unusually hot. Unlikley to be quite the same temp again this year.

Running accross the bridge makes up for the pain of the hills. As long as you are pepared (as you should be for amy race) and acceppt its no a PB course you should enjoy it. All runners enjoy a challenge..don't they?
  • Options
    never done it before so iam doing it because its a change hills dont bother me two much as long as its not a hill from hell
  • Options
    anyone know bout parking at the event? is it possible to be close to the start and finish at same time. any suggestions greatly appreciated.... travelling up from coventry the same morning.... am i mad.
  • Options
    Hi all, a ran this one last year and have to say that it was by far the hardest one i ran out of 4.The heat was a nightmare and the 1 mile hill was a real tester. The Lack of water points and the large number of people lying on the ground with first aid people around them was a real eye opener.I completed the last 1.5 miles in 40 minutes just to make sure that i finished. Will i be running this one again this year????????????????? YOU BET I WILL. It is well worth the effort. Parking last year was ok as i managed to park very close. See you all there and now just the small matter of my local Sheffield Half to do on May 14th as a warm up.
  • Options
    well first well done in getting round last year cybor,
    i dare say the marshalls will off got abit off a shock and maybe have more water this time round , i myself have not done this one before and wont to have a go at it
  • Options
    this will be my first of three halves this year.... not sure im looking forward to it, tho apparently the scenery is good. dont think i will be going for a time..... just survival lol.
  • Options
    Last year we ran through a little village called Barton on Humber ( i think ) where the support was fantastic, even had people outside their houses with the hose pipes cooling us down. I don't know what it is but there seems to be something special when running over the Humber bridge, maybe the sight of " All that COOL WATER " may have something to do with it. If you are undecided as to running this or not i will say only this " If you only run 1 or 2 this year MAKE SURE THIS IS ONE " You will be some proud of yourself where you complete it and get the t-shirt ( as well as the medal ) which you will wear with pride.
    GO FOR IT and ENJOY IT. See you all there....
  • Options
    And don't forget, it's the bridges 25th Anniversary this year so it's that little bit more special.
  • Options
    you lads should be selling double glazing
  • Options
    hahaha

I'm doing this one... I expect running across the bridge will be a highlight of my running career to date... unless I collapse on the hill and have to be ferried over by ambulance...
  • Options
    Make sure you collapse on the South side, you don't want any of my lot coming for you!!!! ;o)
  • Options
    We are looking forward to seeing you all this year. We have an extra water station (but last year was exceptional)and a slightly earlier start to help things along. Log on to the website to get details of the route and the position of the water stations, car parking etc. It will be updated if anything changes.
    Entries are coming in nicely, you'll get a special medal commemorating the Bridge's 25th anniversary. Should be fun - mind you I don't run - I'm just one of the organisers. See you!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info "Grumps" Looking forward to running this for the second year, this will always be one of the first events i mark on the calender from now on and VERY PLEASED to hear abot the extra water stations this year. Now watch it be cold and raining on the day... Ha Ha Ha
  • Options
    hey if it is cold can we have a coffee station and hot soup station too?? cant wait now till event..... not sure bout those hills though. are they realy realy bad? and where can i park so i dont have to stagger to far at the finish. see ya all soon.
  • Options
    I've driven the route. Most of the hills aren't too bad. But the one as you leave Barton is a killer. 1mile long and steep.

Can't do a link but I think this is it (if not then can someone put me right?) on gmaps:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=127104

copy and paste it into your browser. I've left the elevation on. Enjoy!
  • Options
    thanks for that mark..... hill s a bit of a bitch. but what the heck, i'll give it a go.
  • Options
    well its a little bit off hill training thats needed then no probs looking forward the views over the bridge,wont be going to close to the edge scared off the old heights
  • Options
    The good thing about the 1 mile hill is that when you reach the top there is a nice down hill straight after for you to get your breath back. And if i remember rightly there was a water station at the bottom of hill.
    It's All Good...........
  • Options
    flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    hi guys - there's a few of you a fair way from home. If I can convince the family that they!d like a weekend away in the NE I might give this a go. Always fancied running over the bridge...
  • Options
    Send her shopping at St Andrew's Quay while you run. ;o)
  • Options
    jees flanker..... dont mention weekends away and shopping..... id have to take the wife lol.
  • Options
    We are trying to negotiate some special deals with a few local hotels and will post the info on the website when possible. Nearest hotels are Hotel Elizabeth, North Ferriby; Home Farm, Humberfield Roundabout; DeVere Village, just off Clive Sullivan Way and Reeds Hotel (South Bank) at Barton on Humber. There is a Travelodge at South Cave on the A63.
  • Options
    any within walking distance