What do you all wear when i rains?

I want to be dry but not too hot

Comments

• v lightweight water resistant running jacket if it's heavy. Legs get wet, but don't really notice.

Anyone lend me a brolly for the walk home tonight ? Please ??
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Shorts and t-shirt. Skin's waterproof.

Is it raining dahn Sarf then?
  • yeah tonight was meant ot be my second run after coming back into training from injury trust it to bloody rain, can you catch a chill if you run in a tshirt inthe rain?

how much is a cheap lightweight running jacket?
  • tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Was rainy this morning down here, but now has brightened up even dare i say it "sunny". Wait 1-2-3, wow it's still sunny. The famous last words didn't work this time.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    You can only catch a cold from being in contact with the virus.

You would only get chilled if you allowed yourself to get cold (i.e. stopped running and sat down and waited) and even then a hot shower would have you right as rain (pardon the pun) in no time.

Unless you live in the Arctic or at the top of a mountain or something, you don't need a waterproof in summer. You won't get hypothermia running in the UK in "summer", no matter how hard it's raining.

Be tough.
  • Wearing anything vaguely waterproof while running makes me ... how shall I put this delicately? ... sweat like a racehorse, so I just wear a teeshirt and tracksters. Getting wet from rain is preferable to stewing in my own juice and I just do a quick change to dry clothes when I get back to the house/car.
  • BodBod ✭✭✭
    I have been only running since last autumn so summer rain running will be a bit of a new experience. However, I suspect that, even with a Gortex jacket in rain at 15 deg you will be wetter inside the jacket than if you had just worn the T shirt.

I read somewhere that running is equivalent of 12 degree increase in air temp so even running in spring temperatures will feel like high summer when warmed up. However if you run/walk I expect the walking bits might get chilly
  • Id have to agree with you there
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Goretex thong.
  • I'd agree with Jill Neill - just get too hot wearing a waterproof.

Best not to wear cotton though, cos it'll just soak up the water and feel cold and heavy.

Splish splash SPLOSH!!!!!
  • a shower proof gilet is good over a wicking t shirt...keeps the trucnk dry and arms being of a smaller surface area dont pick up to much rain anyway. (its been threatening rain up here all day...thought I was going to get wet this lunch time but it held off )

fergal k
  • Proper wicking T-shirt and shorts. Rain is your friend. But have something warm to put on to cool down in.

Having just come back from an 8-miler coated in salt and insects, a downpour would have been just the ticket!
  • Well it started raining early which made me post this but it appears to have cleared up tho, im in the city at the mo so it could be a different story back home
  • eek ---gortex thong?? we just so don't want to know

am relieved to see all this advice as am in stratford half marathon on sunda and weather looks crap. i have no gortex (nor gilet) and tshirt and trackters sound good; but have big bust and don't want to be wet T shirt comp entrant. any suggestions? is it worth buying gilet? hate thought of being hot.

by the way, as a race virgin, ought I to put my number on my front or my back? and how do I stop my number getting wet?
    ta, you lot
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Number on the front and they are usually waterproof.
  • Red calf length boots, blue Lycra shorts and a red boob tube!

Zandra
    Here to fight the force of evil!

• I work for Nikwax Waterproofing in the testing lab so I've tested lots of waterproof stuff.

Gore-Tex is nowhere near breathable enough to run in, especially in summer, in fact, nothing with a plastic membrane will breathe enough (Sympatex, Triple Point, PU coatings etc etc). You'd be better off with a showerproof top. Most windproofs these days are showerproof.

If it gets dirty and starts to wet out then you can clean and reproof it (with Nikwax stuff of course - which you can get hold of at any good outdoor store) so it's as good as new. To keep waterproofs breathable the outer has got to be water repellent otherwise you sweat buckets.

The other option is 'Soft Shell', it's a relatively new technology that has started to take off in the outdoor market this year. It's a category of garments that is made up of a number of different fabric types which are (mostly) non-membrane based water repellent clothes for outdoor sports. They sell as 'shower-proof' usually. A good brand is Paramo although they can be rather warm at this time of year. Great for hill walking and mountain sports though. Paramo have sponsored a couple of adventure racing teams and the feedback was excellent.

As noted above in summer rain you're probably better off in something wicking. Make sure you dry off at the end of your run before ou start to get too cold, otherwise you can cramp up.

Cheers
    Tweety
  • Cardif Staggerer,

Also, screw your number up before you pin it on.

It makes it more comfortable to wear!

Cheers,

Zandra
  • I do hope it rains tonight!
    I LOVE running in the rain.
    (maybe a just a young child at heart?)

Just get wet and enjoy!
  • tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Pobble
    That last line was a bit racey for this time of the morning!
    Hurray it's not raining today.....yet.
  • Well after all htat it was a lovely evening last night no waterproof needed! maybe for the weekend tho....
  • dbsa
    I have just been introdused to Pearl izumi clothing which I thought was just for cyclists great quality stuff and will give a good feeling when training aswell,give it a go.
  • I went running in the wind and rain last night wearing a breathable waterproof jacket and hat and the only thing that got wet were my feet. Does anybody recommend anything to keep my feet dry when splashing through puddles. Does anyone have waterproof socks?
  • I love my Paramo winter walking coat - but its waaaay too warm to run in.
  • Depends how cold it is! On warm wet days I'll wear a techie shirt or vest and shorts. If it's cold and wet I'll wear tights and a hillwalking base-layer under a lightweight waterproof jacket (I don't sweat much until after I stop running), and gloves. I haven't had to resort to soft-shell for running in the British winter yet.

GC, you CAN get waterproof socks (Sealskinz are effective) but they're quite thick and if water gets inside them from above it doesn't come out. Better just to accept wet feet. If you keep moving and are otherwise adequately dressed, they soon warm up.
  • Thanks guys, you might have just saved me £70 from the jacket I had my eye on!! I've run in drizzle but have been lucky (?) not to have experienced a full downpour yet.. Although am new to running (only 6-8 weeks at present) so am sure I will be aquainted with rainy running soon enough!!!