Chicago Marathon 2006

Comments

• Hi Paul Burton, I was in the same boat as you with the flights hard to get a decent price. To make things worse for me I want a one way ticket to Chicago and a return from NY. In the end managed to get a great deal flying with Aer Lingus from Dublin with the connecting flights from London. The total price from London to Chicago via Dublin was £146 and my return from NY via Dublin was £142. And when I looked a return from Chicago via Dublin was £292 and that was 2 weeks ago.
    Hi Paul Adams good to see you have also signed up.
  • Did you know that Aer Lingus are actually merging shortly with the shipping company Cunard.

They will be called Cunni-Lingus.
  • Darren - I see from your photo that you're a fellow Serpie. Must confess no not having got myself to anything other than a few Thursday track sessions. I'm going to try and go to some of the Saturday and Sunday morning sessions this summer

£292 via Dublin is cheap as chips. Checked this morning and it was about £400. Think I'll just sit on it for a couple of weeks and see how the prices change.

What websites do you guys finding the best flights on?
  • Problem solved - i think I've found the deal of the century.

The bank I used to work for are taking a team of people to do Chicago and have got a package of flights and four nights accommodation at a 4* right next to Grant Park for £550.

Somehow they were happy for me to come along with them!
  • Hi Paul so you also a Serpie, cool I normally do Wednesday club runs and sometimes train with Karen Hancock doing the hill sessions. Well done on that travel package that is a great deal
  • Paul - I can pass as a banker (await rhyming slang jokes from Coops)- room for one more?

Hoping to arrange a business trip so get to travel in comfort- client keeps ignoring me though.
  • 'Fraid they booked the flight yesterday, and I had to beg and plead for them to take me, so don't think I could take others. Soz!

• Morning, Carpet -won't say a word, but reckon I could pass as a banker as well.....

Anyway, anyone else get confirmation of entry through the post today?
  • no worries Paul - i wasn't being serious.

You are correct Coops.

What a game yesterday - gutted for West Ham - think they deserved it.
  • I feel so sorry for the West Ham. If only Stevie G could play like that for England!!
    I think the Swede should play Carrick alongside Lampard and let Gerrard do what he wants behind Owen/Crouch.

Anyway, I too got my confirmation through the post at the weekend. However, despite signing up for the Competitive start positin my little form says "Open start". Anyone else get that??
  • Hi, I've just registered for this. Anyone in the Rickmansworth area, looking for a training partner....
  • Hi Paul got my confirmation on Saturday as well and I am listed as competitive. Suggest you checked the website to see what you are listed as and then send them an email. I have sent them a couple of emails in the past and they have responded pretty quickly and have been helpful.
  • Website also had me in the Open category. I suppose there's half a chance the Competitive start has filled up. I've emailed them.

It would be a nightmare not to be in a decent start, as I'm looking at 3 to 3:10 or so
  • hi all. Got my confirmation this week also - preferred start so pleased about that. All that needs to be done now is actually do some running. Must start after my holidays next week....
  • Any ladies on this thread?

We've all heard about people having guts or balls. But do you really know the difference between them? In an effort to keep you informed, the definition of each is listed below.

"GUTS" is arriving home late after a night out with the guys, being assaulted by your wife with a broom, and having the guts to say, "are you still cleaning or are you flying somewhere?"

"BALLS" is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of

perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the ass and having the balls to say, "You're next!"

We hope this clears up any confusion.

The International Council of Manhood, Ltd
  • I think you should post that in the Clubhouse, Carpet. Then sit back and watch the women squabble
  • Did those of you with qualifying times fax their proofs to the number given on the marathon website?

I think that may be where muppet here was going wrong...

PB
  • I have a preferred start but faxed them my evidence. They changed it from open to preferred rapidly. Got the confirmation on Monday in the post.
  • Je suis un grand muppet. Off to find a fax machine...
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    PB5 - I've got in the competitive start, but I got the the qualifying time in Chicago last year so I didn't have to give proof. Last year I faxed them proof and it worked fine.

Been looking for a hotel and loads of them are full already! Better get it sorted quickly or I'll be sleeping in the streets.

New 10K PB at the weekend with no tapering or speedwork, so training seems to be going OK. Not long til starting P&D schedule, can't wait!
  • You're right, do it pretty quickly, because the NY lottery is being made soon (mid-June I think for US residents, mid-May for non-US residents) and some of those who don't get in will be signing up for Chicago.

I got my confirmation on Monday.
  • Padams - faxed my Reading half (1:23) result to them. Fingers crossed. Unfortunately my marathon time isn't good enough yet!

Congrats on the PB at the weekend. What time did you run?

I have only done three or four short runs since the London marathon. I'm just enjoying not doing anything for a little while. I'm picking up some new trainers tomorrow, so think I'll ease back into 20 miles per week for a little while until attempting the RW sub-3 programme. I think that's 15 weeks, so don't have to crank the mileage up until the start of July.

So that's another six weeks of pie-eating for me then
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    PB5 - I used a half marathon time last year and it was fine.

My 10K on Sunday was 34:26 - I was pleased considering I had a stag-do (not mine) the day before which involved all day paintballing, curry and beers (I was quite restrained though!). I think the curry was actually OK for a pre-race meal (as long as you don't go for anything too spicy). Having said that I won't be eating curry on 21 October.

My legs felt sore before the race from all the crawling, kneeling and crouching in the paintballing, but once I got going I felt surprisingly good. Slightly annoyed to miss winning by 5 secs though.

Can't decide whether to keep up the mileage at the moment or take it easy until I start the 18 week schedule in June. It's raining now so that's a good enough excuse not to go running today!
  • Carpet - yes there are ladies on this thread but not really interested in football or your manhood....looking for a training partner in the Rickmansworth/North West London area....anyone out there?
  • Excellent time Paul, Anyone doing the Green Belt Relay this weeekend?
  • I thought about it, Darren, but then realised I've got a golf comp to play in on both days. Are you running in it for Serpentine?
  • Hey PB5 yep in the first team for Serps looks like it is going to be a long weekend. Serps now have 5 teams in the Relay.