Beckenham 10K

Two loops with one tough hill.

Comments

• So is that one tough hill....twice?

Which hill is that?

Have you done this before?
  • The only steepish hill I can think of in Beckenham is the one that goes up Southend road to Beckenham Hill train station.

I find the idea of repeating a 5k 'lap' quite demoralising!
  • Hi,

I am relatively new to running and so far have only entered races with c. 1000+ runners. I am scared by the small field of this race but going to give it a go anyway.

Should i study the route in advance (never been to Beckenham) or are the directions obvious?
  • Nat

depends on how anal you are about stuff like that. I do like to study the route if i've never been to the area, and now with google earth i'm even sadder.

One day I may get a life, just not today I got races to plan...........
  • Hi Max.

i never really understand this 'anal' business although I’ve been told a thousand times. I understand what you mean but not why that word means what it does.

the moderator will be after us!

Thanks anyway.

i just want to get round without looking too daft at the finishing line....
  • Naticle, the term anal being used to describe someone who is ridiculously obsessive about something comes from the work of psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud. Freud argued that, as humans developed, they become fixated on different and specific objects through their stages of development—first in the oral stage (exemplified by an infant's pleasure in nursing), then in the anal stage (exemplified by a toddler's pleasure in controlling his or her bowels). So anyone who is obsessive or controlling in nature gets described as anal!

Hope that clears that one up :-)
  • Cheers Claroo, you learn something new every day... In the case of this race I would recommend a certain degree of 'anality' since the start and finish are not at the same place and you will of course need to get back to collect your stuff. See here:

http://www.beckenhamrunning.co.uk/beckten.htm

I won't be running this one 'cos I've got Edinburgh the following week but I'll be cheering on all the hopefuls from the end of my road. Good luck all!
  • It's worth bearing in mind that although his stage of development are based in childhood development Freud never actually sutdied children at all. Ever. Not one.
  • has everyone got there numbers ??