post viral fatigue

hello all
Can any one help i had a flu virus about 6 weeks ago its left me feeling very lethargic ive gone from running 30 to 40 miles a week to struggling when i take the dog for a walk the doc says i need rest,has any one had any thing similar and got any advice.
cheers
phil.

Comments

• yes, mate ive got a post viral thing. Had it for 9 months - see my recent mystery illness thread. My advice DO NOTHING for a while. Thats what i should have done.
  • I agree with n007, do nothing for a while, listen to your body, I kept going and made things much worse, you will recover quicker if you slow down now.
  • If you are struggling to walk the dog you should be off work, or working very part-time as even too much brain activity will delay your recovery. Strictly speaking you have to have been fatigued for 6 months before ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) is diagnosed, but you should rest, rest, rest during the "Acute" fatigue to prevent it becoming "Chronic". You could look at the Action for ME site www.afme.org.uk .
  • it is very frustrating philip. i must say that i have learnt my lesson and when i return to training i will know that 'less is more'. I got ill whilst doing 3 swims, 4 rides., 4 runs and 3 football matches a week and stupidly carried on when ill. Its srewed me up big time. I actually feel ill ALL the time not just when excercising. Its mild enough to work etc but Ive decided to knock the sport on the head for a while. My advice to everyone is dont over do it its not worth it - especially when you have an infection.
  • Thanks for the advice. I am off work and resting and things seem to be under control at the moment.The doc reckons 9 times out of 10 these things right them selves over time with rest, your right though it is very frustrating.I can manage an easy 1 hour walk with the dog with no ill effects as long as I rest afterwards.Ill just have to lie in the garden and liten to the cricket.
    n007 how bad wwere you at its worst?
  • philip, i ant be sure we have the same thing. But ive had it since september and feel bad ALL the time (is that same for you). I have now stopped for two weeks or so all excercise and feel much better. I was never bad enough to be off work - but i just felt ill all day.
  • much the same like a cold that wont go away plus aches and pains in my legs and back i was very kanckered a couple of weeks ago but not so bad now.
  • i had bad sinus trouble and also have sensitivity to lack of sleep and booze.
  • i had terrible sinus trouble for a while. also i am much worse when i dont sleep well and/or drink alcohol!
  • and it makes me post twice by mistake!
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    I had post viral fatigue for nearly two years after glandular fever. It was homeopathy that helped me get over it and I would highly recommend it.

For sevearl years after I recovered, I would still get odd days where I woke up and just felt 'yuck'. I learnt it was my body's way of saying STOP,SLOW DOWN AND REST.
  • I had post viral syndrome 10 years ago, it took me 2 years to shift fully.
    biggest advice is listen to your body.
    Rate your physical tiredness 1 to 10 (1 low) and mental tiredness. When these are high rest. Also take you resting pulse every morning.
    I started training every other day for a maximum of 30 mins with a maximum pulse rate of 120 ( you will probably find this is a power walk or better still go on an exercise bike or rower). If your pulse rate is a count of 5 over what it has been do not train for 3 days. Once you have no ill effect from this 30 mins max pulse rate of 130. The 30 min max pulse rate of 140 then 150 until 160 .
    Then you have to build into some sort of normal training routine - but keep those tiredness mearsurements going and everyone should check their resting pulse in the morning if they are serious about their training. Any rise indicates you are coming down with an illness.
    Am I recovered now - I should say so. Running is not my main sport, but I have returned to winning ways so living proof you can recover be positive and listen to your body.
  • thanks for the advice. im walking for over an hour now fairly briskly with no ill effects at the moment but will heed the advice on pulse rates etc when building up.
  • thats positive but as I said previously write and monitor everything, you will see very quickly if you are trying to move on too quickly. That 120 pulse is very frustrating but so worth it and do not try to push over the 30 mins especially when increasing the pulse rates. Once you hit the 160 mark then very slowly increase the length of time you exercise for BUT monitor everthing, write it all down in a book.

Good luck and be positive
  • rowrex
    i think i did over do it a bit and have gone back a bit i will follow your advice and cut back intensity and duration and monitor my progress.What was your story and how badly were you affected.
  • I agree with the above, I was told to follow the 10 percent rule when increasing exercise and to start with 10 minutes! which was a shock to me as I was running 16 miles for my long run. I too was tired and feeling ill all the time, I did nothing for 6 months, just carried on but it never went away. I was diagnosed with M.E/chronic fatigue syndrome earlier this year after some tests to rule out anything else. If I had known I wouldn't have carried on for so long and tried to get it under control earlier. The main thing I have learnt is to listen hard to your body, monitor everything you do, write it down and note patterns, triggers etc, so if 30 minutes exercise makes you worse cut back etc. I am back up to 30 minutes some days and at a very slow pace, I agree with the heart rate level mentioned by rowrex. Take it slowly and as hard as it is be patient with yourself.
  • I was at the top of my game, won silver in the nat vets in the younger age category and thought if I just pushed harder in training would be able to get to the top. The thing is, I am a graduate of sports science so should have know better but was so focused on improving, again I ignored the initial signs of feeling ill and tired. I paid the price. I was lucky in that I had access to one of the top sports doctors in the country (he is part of the Olympics medical team). I had really solid advice. He did make me promise to spread the word, as there is alot of ignorance still in all sports not just running about the dangers of over training.
    Listen to your body and be very very patient, I know how frustrating it can be.
  • I got shingles 7 months ago and I stupidly afterwards started running too quickly after the illness. I did a 6 mile run and then went downhill after that, symptoms of feeling like I had the flu, sore throats, aches, exhausted and like I am living in a bubble. I carried on working and then had to stop as my job was so physical. I have started to see a nutritionist, seeing a counsellor and seeing a hypnotherapist! I have just started to introduce the pacing as I started to do too much too quickly which has created many ups and downs. Reading these posts has made me realise that I am not on my own. I have really struggled with how this illness has affected my mental well being. I have also found people close to me have not quite understood what has been going on and have tried to push me to do things. I can't not agree more than listening to your body it is imperative and patiences is the key. I would also advise seeing a nutrionist as it can help your immune system to fight any other bugs you might come across. Its a hard road to walk this one but even seeing gradually improvements can lift your spirits. Good luck. 

• Blimey Groblin, that sounds rough - hopefully your current problem goes quickly. I've been with fatigue now for three years. Been seeing a nutritionist since September and things are improving - the advice above regarding exercise sounds good as I do find it hard to not overdo it.

Jennifer - I know exactly what you mean about others not understanding. I've been asked many times if I'm depressed - no, but I'm fed up with being asked!

Hope you both improve soon.