Supination - HELP!

I am looking for advice on how to correct / support supination. Anyone else out there who suffers from this?

Comments

• We don't "suffer" from this, it is just the way we are.

Get the right shoes and it will help. Don't be ashamed you can't join in the pronators group and buy the trendy shoes but be part of a more exclusive club instead and get the cushioning, support shoes not necessary variety.

You can't and shouldn't try and correct this, also your feet don't need support just cushioning and a curved last on the shoe.

Say it loud, say it proud " I supinate and I like it!!"

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks Sarcy, any suggestions on shoes?
  • You can stop a foot from supinating, but I would do so if it was causing symptoms.

I dont know why you say you shouldn't correct this, all depends on the situation. Also why curved last necessarily? I can see why you say this but one might also counter that the curvurture would only accentuate the problem...(devils advocate! or smart arse!!)

Lawrence
  • Chuckie, I wear Asics Cumulus IV's at the moment, this is my fourth pair of these shoes and I have had no problems yet. I have also tried Asics Nimbus but found them to be quite hard, but that is just my opinion.

Lawrie, smart arse. Had you been drinking you drinking when you replied to this thread?

These shoes are designed to support your foot when it is behaving in its natural way. In the same way that someone whose foot over pronates will wear support or motion control shoes, try to run in a pair of motion control shoes when you shouldn't be and see how you get on.
  • I had a footscan today at Sweatshop and they said I was a mild supinater. THey suggested cushioning shoes and I bought Mizuno Wave Rider 6's (girly shoes). I'll try them out tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be fab. They seem to know what they're talking about.

Tweetie
  • I'm a mild supinator (mostly in my right foot) who last year ran in a pair of Asics shoes with DuoMax motion control for 6 months because I didn't know any better. Although I had absolutely no problems, I'm not recommending it! I may just have been lucky, or perhaps I just adapted my running gait to suit. In any case I now use Nike Air Pegasus ( cushioned shoe ) for most training & long races and a neutral racer (Nike Streak Ekiden) for shorter races and speed work. Seems to work, but perhaps if my supination was severe I would have problems.
  • Hiya Chuckie .....you there anywhere?
  • I've just found out I'm a supinator after having problems with my knees.  I originally went to a running shop to be tested months ago and was sold some Nike Air Structure Triax but don't know if they had originally decided I was a supinator.  However I've been advised to get an Equiflex insole which can be used to help supinators and can go in any of my shoes, hopefully that will sort my knees out.
  • I'm a heavy supinator (turn my feet out at footstrike) the only trainers for me other than my fell running gear are Nike Air Pegasus. These are the only shoes I have no problem at all with. They are the ideal choice for supinators. I have wasted hundreds of pounds on various Asiscs etc only to come back to the trusty Pegasus.
  • Yep, me too. I've wasted loads of money, should of just gone to a running shop and had my gait analysed. Had a pair of Asics with Duo Max and had no end of injurys before i found out about pronation etc

I now have a pair of Saucony Kinvara, the reviews said it would suit supination and even though its sold as a racer you could still do distance running ,thought these would be okay but now getting calf problems. Tempted to try the Saucony Progrid Ride 4/5.

If i know that i supinate is there any point getting my gait analysed ?

• Training and running style make more difference than trainers.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/hard-or-soft-midsoles-for-injury-protection

And pronation is largely irrelevant.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/does-pronation-matter

that last study was in the bmj's sister publication the BJSM so is a far better quality study than what normally passes for research In these parts.

• http://phc.amedd.army.mil/PHC%20Resource%20Library/MinimalistRunningShoes.pdf

While not testing new runners the above study indicates that age, fitness and previous injury history are the biggest factors in injuries.  No significant difference due to the trainers. 

Minimalist runners tend to be younger and will get injured less because they are young rather than what they have on their feet.