Do I need to drink (water) !?

DLDL ✭✭✭
Hi

Just starting out on this running thingy as I signed up for the London 10k to raise money for Farm Africa in a moment of weakness. Can't say that I'm addicted yet but I'm hoping that I will become so very quickly. I'm now up to about a five mile long run which takes me nearly an hour - should I be drinking water along the way or just waiting till I get home? If so how do you carry it!? Will I be the last to finish as I seem to be overtaken by everyone when I'm out. Oh and last thin honest - will I ever stop going an intersting shade of beetroot about ten minutes into a run?
Thanks a million :-)

Comments

• Dog Leash - I find that some people need to carry water if they do 20 minutes, others can do an hour or more and not need to bring anything with them.

Just do what you feel is right for you.

I only carry water if I'm doing over 6 miles generally - I've got a bumbag type thing which has room for a bottle on the back so it doesn't get in the way.

I have just bought a camelbak so will test that on a short run tonight to see if it's comfortable...

• DLDL ✭✭✭
    A runner's aid bottle?? Is this like a lucozade bottle?
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Thanks - i guess the next thing to learn is how to drink and run at the same time - it's enough to just keep moving - anything that puts me off my stride (or very small steps) makes the whole thing more difficult. I know everyone says it gets easier - but when!?
  • and dont worry about the British 10k
    Its a huge race so you wont be last
    I should take your own water though
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Thanks Plodding Hippo - but why take water when they say they supply it?
  • I ran the london 10k last year plenty of water around but still find that if I drink and run at same time my stomach cramps up so I find it best to stop and take a few sips then chuck the rest. You should be able to get water at the finish as well if you don't mind fighting the crowds at the finish, so don't over load with fluid during the run itself
    Best to just see how you feel on the day and what the weather is like.
    As for bottles have a look at the gear section on the website, there are different types of bottle or belts etc but if you buy one run with it first as you may not like to carry a bottle for a whole race
  • Dog leash
    according to many reviews of this race-there have been water supply issues
    have a look at the event threads on this race
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Thanks Plodding Hippo - have just read about the race as you suggested. It's my first ever event and has made me somewhat worried! Sounds a bit shambolic - but at least I have nothing to compare it with. I guess I just need to look at it as an exciting day out with some pain involved!

Jules - I will have a practice run with drink (non alcoholic of course) don't fancy the idea of cramps.
  • I don't bother carring water, the weight of a bottle in my hand or in a bum bag upsets my rhythm. However, if I know I'm out for a long run (1.5hrs +++) then I make sure I have a few £££ with me to buy a bottle or 2 en route. I'll always paln the route in advance and have a few fave stops where I can get a bottle down me and rest up for a couple of minutes. Handy for a toilet stop too, but I do get funny looks as I puff into Asda's entrance and nip off to use the khazi!!!
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Thanks Big Dave - can picture the bottle now - think I'd rather run with water than stop and have to buy. Water tends to be in newsagenty type shops near chocolate which mid way through a run might just make me forget my reason for stopping. Also I imagine it requires talking to the shopkeeper which may not be possible in a long run for me (see original posting about ready brek haze that surrounds me) Anything that stops me running at this stage isn't good as I am unlikely to get going again! Will go and buy a runners aid bottle (do they sell runners aid lungs too?) today and try it out tomorrow.
  • You can always buy a power breather that supposed to help with lung function.:D
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    New to all this - now what on earth is a power breather???? Running they say - doesn't cost just get out there and do it - oh, but you might need proper shoes (how much!!??) I'm a tight wad git. Cotton t-shirts just aren't good in the summer why not get a super wicking top (who invents these words!?) Oh then you need a super support bra, gel packs, heart rate monitors, water bottles, belts or camel backs, mp3 players, gps systems. First I've heard of a power breather though - sounds fun!?

The big question though - do any of these things make it any easier!!??
  • No !! :o
    I look at running as a sport that can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be
    take race entrance fees, clothing, shoes etc into it and it can be more than a little expensive.

http://www.bodykind.com/productindex/RefererxGoogle_power%20breathe/PartnerIDx6/CatIDx75/productindex.htm
    For info though a power breather allows you to exercise your lungs without actually exercising supposed to help with breathing
  • dog leash
    nope
    no easier
    but the GPS things aregreat!
  • Morning Hipps
    Agree GPS worth looking at just gor myself a garmin forerunner as my new toy
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    How come GPS ? Other than saying how far you have run what do they do?
  • show you where you have run
    you can senrd workouts to them
    they do mile splits, pace-you can dopretty graphs

Im taking mineout for a short plod in a mo
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    sounds a bit too technical for me - can't even work a digital watch - too amny features I never know what they're for. Thought splits was either something with a banana (good) or attempted in gymnastics (bad)
  • snigger

well-someone else set that bit up for me
    but it tells me how slowly i do each mile
    there is also a heart rate monitot if i want

well, time for gus the garmins plod