Options

Pose Method

Anyone experienced any positive results from the new (pose) method of running that some runners are raving about?

What sort of time reductions are involved?
Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner

Comments

• Options
    I don't even know what it is!

Please explain.

In-The-Dark Shambler!
  • Options
    no idea shamler, daz - enlighten please...
  • Options
    Is it exercising and maintaining street cred at the same time?
  • Options
    Is that the funny running thing where you're supposed to be doing controlled falling?

I think some of the British Triathlon team used it - Tim Don is a name I vaguely remember.
  • Options
    Daz - where are ya? sposed to be letting me know what the posey running is, thats where!!
  • Options
    Mis-read Sub4 Fruity Reindeer - thought she was asking about controlled farting!!
  • Options
    *HE* thank you Dangly :-)
  • Options
    Pose is essentially the same technique that Gordon Pirie advocates in his book, 'Running Fast and Injury Free'. It is an emphasis on running with a high stride rate, landing on the forefoot with bended knees using lightweight shoes.

You can get a video and book from the pose website or you can just follow the advice in Gordon Pirie's book. I've been doing it for the last 6 months and it has transformed my running. Before I started I was a heel striker blighted with injuries, since changing over I've been completely free of injuries. I'm a little faster but not significantly so.

Websites :-

http://www.posetech.com
    http://www.gordonpirie.com
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Been away for a while....

Tom, nice one. You say it has transformed your running. In what way? I presume you have you experienced a number of pb's?

Yes, I've seen this method of running crop up quite often lately, mainly in triathlon circles. It may be that it's a little easier on your legs when you come off the bike. There's another mention in this months 220 Triathlon (in the shops right now) on page 51).

I have heard a number of stories (again, mainly triathletes) of people who have slashed their running times because they introduced this technique. Some had to suffer various muscle pains for a few weeks as their legs got used to the new technique. But it paid off in the long run.

I myself started trying to run in a 'pose' fashion from the beginning of the year. I found myself breaking my half marathon pb by 1:20mins (1:26:40 - 1:25:20), and I feel a lot more comfortable.

Like Tom says you are using gravity to assist forward momentum by leaning forward into your run (the point that you feel you are about to fall forward), while at the same time bringing up you leg a bit quicker.

Daz

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Some scientist has also been preaching about hill running lately - can't remember his name.

He basically claims that up hill running is a waste of time if you want to get faster over longer distances because it increases muscle size (and weight) and encourages your muscle fibres to get lazy and move slower.

He claims you should only run downhill as much as possible to speed up leg movement, as well as the flat.

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Lean into your run from your waist or ankles? I've always thought the former was a fault and the latter good technique.
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    You're supposed to lean the whole body in line (don't bend), and run on the balls of your feet. Imagine the contact you get with the ground when you run on the spot....same thing.

I know it sounds painful to have all that stress placed on the balls of feet but apparently it works (albeit with a few weeks of pain for some people)

d
  • Options
    Is there anywhere on the net with pictures (moving or static) of this method. I'm one of those hopeless types that has to see something for it to make sense!

Intrigued Shambler!
  • Options
    Yes, but I can't remember the URL!
  • Options
    Thanks, Fruity! I'll see what I can find and report back if I have any luck.

Happy Shambler!
  • Options
    Oh well, that was easy!

Pose technique

Sorry - the last post of mine wasn't much help!
  • Options
    Thanks, Fruity. I just found this after my last post - but I can't find any pictures.... or am I not looking properly?

Happy Shambler!
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Hiiiyaaaa,

Yeh you're right, the buggers don't have any pics. There are plenty of vids on sale though (oh I get it!). Nevermind.

There is also some more info on the 'pose' here : http://www.trymysport.co.uk/pose_running.htm
  • Options
    Thanks, Daz - will check it out.

Happy Shambler!
  • Options
    Do you need special racers for it or any running shoes will do?
  • Options
    Is it just a case of switching from heel strike to the ball of the foot is it a bit deeper than that?
  • Options
    Is it discreet or can you spot someone running with this technique miles away?
  • Options
    LOL. just had a picture in my mind of John Cleese in the Ministry of silly running styles.
  • Options
    I always thought it was bad to run on your toes? So do you heels go down at all?
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    elo!

check out the two websites prev listed.

you can do it in any shoes you like, although I'm guessing it may hamper the affect if you have trainers that weren't very flexible(?).

You put more emphasis on landing and taking off from the ball of the foot. Some people apparently just don't land on the heel at all anymore. You lean forward more (as if you are about to fall over) and use gravity to assist forward momentum. You do need to whip your leg through a bit quicker.

It's supposed to be a revolutionary new technique to running that a lot of athletes are taking up, but as mentioned before it's only really big in traithlon at moment.

Love to hear if it works with other people! I've had some success this year....when I can remember to do it!
  • Options
    You guys are asking all the questions I want answered, too! It sounds really weird, doesn't it?

Still-Intrigued Shambler!
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    hehe, maybe flora should have an award at next years london marathon for the silliest running style. great tv!
  • Options
    Yes very!

But as someone with a lot of knee probs, im eager to hear more.
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Try it out Shambler!
    I don't want to be the only one looking like they're about to fall over at the next run race!
  • Options
    I'm quite good a tripping over my feet already - but I'm always up for trying something new. I'll give it a go tomorrow morning!

Keep-Your-Fingers-Crossed-For-Me Shambler!