Chi Running

I got this of amazon a while back and
I started trying to practice it’s principals about 4 weeks ago – it really has changed the way I run and how I view running.
Has anyone else read this book or tried it out?

http://www.chirunning.com/

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I actually do tai chi (been doing it for about 4 years) so would be very interested in this as lately I have had a lot of problems feet related, need orthotics etc. If I already know the whole set of tai chi and moves etc would this be simple enough do you think ts?
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • I have the book, but haven't finished it yet. Some useful ideas, especially how to run uphill.
  • Hi - I've just got the book and the CD, too. I was thinking of starting a thread, so it's good to see this. I like the Chi Running philosophy but there's a lot to take in. I do think my hips have been aching less on the two or three runs I have attempted while trying to apply the principles, but I'm not running much at the moment due to holidays and stuff.

I'd like to do a training course like they describe on their web site, if only there was one in the UK - it must be much easier to learn this kind of thing directly.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Chi running has some major similarities with Pose running. The Chi founder attended a pose clinic.
  • Wabo – I think if you practice Tia Chi to start with this will be a great help (I didn’t), from what I gather Tia Chi teaches you about breathing and listening to you body..this might sound a bit New Agey but the book backs most of the ideas up with basic physics i.e. – if you keep your muscles soft then you can’t damage them.
    The bit I have trouble with is the ‘lean’, I always seem to end up bending forward – it’s work in progress at the moment.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    think I may invest in book, if nothing else tai chi got me round flm once, you just try to imagine the whole set of 108 moves in your head as you run and ht emile sjust whizz by!
    Re pose I am also interested in this and have been trying small spates of this type of running lately to see if it helps. It certainly feels a lot gentler, not sure if that makes sense. My natural style has me overpronating and slamming feet down so I suppose this could def help me.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I've got the chi running book. I've read it through and now my running is more or less like the style laid out in the book. I'm certainly noticing the difference on my kness which is the main thing!
  • Hi,
    just bought the book and am half way through, has come up with ideas I would never have thought of and seems to make sense, like leaning forward and letting gravity help you. Find it a little hard to put into practice but will keep trying.
  • Notty - check out the web-site, I think there are a couple of training weekends coming up.....one is in July if I remember rightly.
  • Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭
    the chi running idea is GREAT i've made major improvements in only 4 weeks, it just gets better to run and enjoy
  • SivSiv ✭✭✭
    I've ordered the book...

Notty - I saw on the web site that there's a training weekend in London July 1-2. It was beyond my financial means though 8-(
  • I gave Chi Running my first go on today's run. Wow....significantly faster for only a little more effort (the effort was in keeping the lean and Column rather than the legs.)

Might check the piggybank and see if it's got enough for the course!
  • I'm in the middle of this book and so far I have found it a big help in preventing injury.
  • DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    There was an article in RW a few months ago about Chi Running. It just gave a basic outline of what you were supposed to do (e.g. leaning forward from the ankles, keeping your arms lower and not pumping them, and not toeing-off).

I've been trying to incorporate it into my running style, but I think it will take a few months (years?) to get it right.

I think it ought definitely to help with injury-prevention, and so long as you're not bothered about going REALLY fast (I'm very slow anyway) I think it could be useful.

It seems to me that it basically transfers some effort from your muscles to your lungs - i.e. you can go the same speed without feeling as though your BODY is trying as hard, but you seem to breathe more heavily... if that makes any sense...?

I also like the idea of "body sensing" which I think is just a new-age way of saying to concentrate on your form.

I tend to do it more on my slower recovery-type runs than on PB attempts, when I slip back into teeth-gritting/eyeballs-out mode!!
  • I have been reading this book and having a go at putting it into practice but really feel I need some help. There are no trainers currently in the UK, the nearest is in Northern Ireland.

I have contacted her (Catherina McKiernan - www.runcatherina.com) to see if she would do a days workshop over here in North Wales in the autumn if I can get enough people together. I have about 10 'interested in principal' people but could do with a list of about 20 or so to follow this through further. Anyone out there interested?

I believe it would be around £100 for the day 10-4 ish practice and techical, with plenty of time for asking questions personally etc at the end too.

Let me know on this thread or send me a email personally and I will keep you informed of progress.

I think it seems to make such sense as a way to look after your body as well as well as enhancing energy from gravity etc.
  • I'd be interested if it is a day I could do it.
  • Great Roo, I will put your name on the list.
    Thanks
  • me too!!!

but September is fairly booked up for me - and there is one weekend in October I can't do.

But please put my name on the list as a definite maybe!
  • Hi Sue,
    OK you name is down too.... Thanks. I will keep you posted... It is likely to be October onwards, not before.
  • Hi everyone

Ok some more news.... Costs Catherina would want around £100 per person and there might be venue costs on top of that, though I imagine it wouldn't be a lot more. Also she is available November at the moment.

I am looking into booking venues and working out procise costs in the next week or so.

Pass the word around if you know anyone else who might be interested too.
    Thanks
  • Here is some of the blurb from Catherina on what she would cover in a day:

You will learn all the basic ingredients of the ChiRunning® Technique. I will be guiding you through many exercises and drills designed to leave you with a clear sense of what the ChiRunning technique feels like in your body. We will not be doing lots of running (contrary to what you might imagine), so no matter what condition you’re in, have no fear. We will spend the day alternating between demonstrations, fun exercises and technique drill. It will be a relaxed, enjoyable and inspiring day. Here is a brief outline of what I will go through with you.

• The Keys to Effortless, Injury-free Running
    • The Physics of Running: Run without Using Your Legs
    • Video analyses of your running
    • Introduction to the ChiRunning® Form
    • Posture, Lean, Lift
    • Personal Check-in Tricks and Tools
    • Learning to Use Your Gears
    • Core Muscle Drills and Exercises
    • Pre-run Body Looseners, Post-run Stretches
    • Run Various Speeds While Conserving Energy
    • Run Uphill and Downhill Safely and Efficiently
    • Questions and Answers

The workshop would run from 10am to 4pm approx, with lunch from 1pm to 2pm.
  • I could be interested in this too please. A definite maybe for me depending on when/where it is held.

Thanks
  • Great stuff footpather
    You are on the list. It is likely to be held in North wales somewhere.. Looking around the betws y coed area at the moment.

It is beautiful here and I was thinking that perhaps as people are coming a distance that we could organise a run on the sun before everyone goes home to put into practice what we learn and get so see some of the beautiful area.
  • Sounds good to me.

I've done the GNR for the last two years (more walking than running though) and after that I seem to lose impetus where running is concerned so this will keep me going.

Thanks
  • Unfortunately I'm too far away to join this gathering (I'm in the Netherlands), but I'm hoping the newly-qualified chi teacher here may run a weekend this autumn.

I've been working at chi running for about 4 months, have read the book thoroughly and got the CD which helped. There's a lot to learn, but they say it takes time. Has definitely helped both my knee and the extensor tendonitis I got from overstriding, and it feels much more natural.

If anyone's interested, there is a lot of info on the website (there are articles and a Q&A/forum)

www.chirunning.com

I know there is a Q&A somewhere in there comparing chi to pose--there are some differences.

• Hi Guys - Just saw your thread. I did a course in Castleknock with Catherina in June - Danny Dreyer actaully did the course (over 2 days) with Catherina assisting. Basically it was fantastic and the best running advice I have ever had. I wouldn't say i am an expert Chi runner now but it helped enormously and was great fun.

One thing I would highly hghly recommend is the audio CD. I've got this on my ipod now and use it every now and again as a refocus. The other invaluable tool is a metronome - my cadence was really low and now it it on it's way to 86 which I am delighted about and my pace has increase too. Poor body doens't know what's hit it.

PLUS - hills - biggest difference, they are soo much easier now.

Anyway what I really wanted to say was that you will not regret doing a course on this style of running.
  • I might be interested, can you let me know if you set a date please, Emma
  • I've just got the book,but doubt I can learn the technique successfully without expert help.
    I'm definitely interested-Public transport from Derbyshire permitting!
    Not available Abingdon marathon weekend though(22nd Oct)
  • Hi Pink and Goslo

Great stuff I will add you to the list and let you know when I have dates, cost and a venue.

Thats great gymbunny, thanks for the recommendation, I think it will really help me too.