Wey Navigations 19.4

GavoGavo ✭✭✭
This sounds a rather bizarre event but as a one-off may be worth doing. Woking AC are running it & a website will be set up for more details.

From the RW info, it's a race and navigation test so by my geogrpahical & logical awareness I should be finished by the following Sunday.

Individuals & teams of 2 can enter so if anyone wants to pair up let me know.

Comments

• Gavo - I've sent an email this weekend to them asking to send information/entry form, but haven't received anything yet. Still nothing on there website so I begin to wonder if it will really take place. If you hear anything let me know.

I would offer to team up, but I think you are considerably quicker than me. I'm running somewhere between 9m30s and 10min miles. Anyone else out there in similar condition?
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Linca, I'm not considerably quicker than anyone at the moment! Not intending to treat this as a proper race anyway. Gonna be a PB whatever the result.
  • So are you the J Gavin who finished FLM in sub-4 or the one who finished in 4h25m?

Cause if you are 4h25m man we might actually be well matched. If you are that other man I may be holding you back. But maybe you just want a gentle jog on a Sunday? :-)

I'll team up with you if you like...it is a little cheaper to enter as a team. Provided it still goes ahead.

I know the Godalming to Guildford part of the route pretty well since I do some of my training on it.

• GuyGuy ✭✭✭
    I am very tempted to do this as I know the route well - all of my long runs for the FLM this year were along the towpath from Godalming to Weybridge (just over 21 miles if you start from round Charterhouse). However, as I am thinking of doing the Lake Vrynwy marathon on 1st June (to make up for a very bad FLM run), 19.4 miles a week later might be too much. If you hear back from the organisers Linca, I would be interested to know if it is going ahead.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Linca, I did do sub-4 but will not be treating this as a race, more of a long slow run with no real training goal.

I'll send them an email later to see if I get more results than you. Cheers.
  • Any luck finding a race website or any more details?
  • I've got an electronic copy of the entry form for this which has got all the details of the event on it... happy to e-mail on to anyone who is interested.
  • yes please or tell me where I can find it

Many Thanks
  • It's in word format...send me an e-mail and I'll mail it back to you.
  • Rocks - I've sent you an email since I still haven't got anything back from emailing the organisers 2 weeks ago. I thought maybe whoever answered the email might be on holiday, but now enough time has gone by that I'm getting a little worried.
  • I've forwarded on the form to all those who have requested it... let me know if you have not received it.
  • This event sounds intriguing, except my geographical and navigational skills are non-existent! Plus I'm a very slow runner over long distances (even short distances, I suppose!).

Is it worth me having a go or not? I've only ever done one 20 mile race and that was the Compton Challenge (hilly, multi-terrain, etc).

Creamcake
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    According to the info on the form (thanks rocks), you need to solve logic problems or general knowledge or puzzles or performing observations during the run. For each of these correctly solved then time will be deducted from your finishing time. You will also be given a set of images - such as locks and bridges - that I think you need to spot on the route and time deducted for every correct image.

I don't think that it will be a test of speed as there seems to be a lot of writing and observing so more like an Anneka Rice thing than a normal run (presumably without the helicopters).

Linca, do you still want to team up? Email me and let me know. As I've no intention of doing this competitively, there may be ways in which teams can unofficially work together, particularly if people have knowledge of the area.

You also need to carry your own water bottle although water is available on route. And as it's nearly 20m then snacks may also be appropriate (as will a mobile for when I get lost on route!)
  • Has anyone heard anything back from the race organisers yet?
  • I received a letter from the organisers this morning saying that they were very sorry, but, they have had to cancel the event because they were unable to get Public Liability Insurance. All cheques they had received would be torn up.....

Pity... was looking forward to an interesting event !!!!
  • Hey James...maybe you'd like to try the Dorking 10 (miles) which is the same day and is supposed to accept entries on the day.

I noted in the letter that the organiser guy said he had the forms and photos available. Maybe some of us forumites could get together one weekend for an unofficial run?
  • That second part of previous post was referring to running along the Wey (not in Dorking), in case it wasn't clear.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    That makes you the organiser though Linca! Fine by me as long as the start-time is relatively civilised.