Midsummer Munro Half-Marathon

13»

Comments

• Or "GingerKid and Nick Are Made Of Sterner Stuff" ....
  • I've been desperately trying to think or something based on the initials BNGS that isn't too rude but hit a blank, so how about "the team with no name" :o)
  • Well just looked at the BBC weather forecast, 24 deg, cloudy & possible showers, so God knows what its gonna be like.

Nice to say hello to GK & Smashie, look forward to meeting you today, please don't believe a word Brian says, he tells a lot of fibs, especially regarding moi.

To everyone else, have a good run.

See you later

Nick
  • Right, just leaving so imagine you guys are too but just in case... - our team name is the cheesist - The Fearless Forumites!

So excited - think this will be ace. Wearing orange vest , have red hair , quite sunburnt from Brighton beach - you won't miss me ;-)

GK
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    It was great to see everyone there yesterday.

I couldn't run due to injury so I marshalled instead. You were all fabulous and in that heat too!
  • Many thanks to Dr.Rob and all the wonderful marshalls for organising and being there for us ! It was a fabulous experience and definitely the friendliest event I've ever been in. Yes it was tough but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Once again thank you to all involved and well to all you fellow runners. I'll be back for more!
  • Many thanks to the Doc and all the wonderful marshals, drinksters and caterers who made this truly appalling event a feast of compassion in the heart of darkness.

Congratulations Natalie, Steve and Nick - my fellow Fearless Forumites, a name to conjure with.

THE CONUNDRUM OF THE WORKSHOPS (Verse 1)
    When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
    Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
    And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
    Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
    (R. Kipling)
  • Absolutely fantastic atmosphere, but what a hard race, by the end felt completely drained both physically and mentally. Everything after the finish was a bit of a blur! Today the knees ache like mad but at least I can make it from the sofa to the fridge no problem so things are not too bad! I suspect I'm going to be feeling the after effects of this race for a few more days.

Brilliant to meet everyone, and well done to my fellow Fearless Forumites, great to meet you all and found it gave me a bit of a lift whenever I saw you on the course. Big congratulations Nick for coming first out the team and hope the sunburn isn't too bad Natalie. Plus the support from all the other runners was greatly appreciated.

A big thanks to all the marshals for a wonderful job well done, and to Dr Rob for organising such a fantastic race. I did swear yesterday that this was a one off thing and I wouldn't do it again. I'm already starting to think about maybe doing it again next year! Must have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to the pain.
  • Absolutely agree with everything that has been said on here already.

A fantastic event, the camaraderie was brilliant from the front runners down to the back enders, People willing you on if you overtook them (didn't happen very much for me)and urging peolpe on as they overtook you (happened a lot).

Well done to the team, Steve, Nat & Brian, next year we will have a good go at winning it. (I have the memory of a goldfish too, Steve). There was a guy called Tim, from Bognor, who I ran round with for a while & I would like to thank him for his motivation too.

Finally, I would like to say a huge thankyou to Rob & all of his team for a brilliant day, marshalls were fantastic, mars bars are lovely when you are that knackered, Bag pipes at the halfway stage inspired me, just a superb day.

Will be back on Jan 1st for my second KN.

Brian, when do we get verse 2?

• Well done, Nick, I'd forgotten the piper, who was marvellous.

As we went up the hill he was playing a pibroch called "I'll Aye Be With Ye At The Start" which I'd never heard before but was, somehow, hauntingly familiar.

The first poem was Kipling on Art; here he is on Business:

A GENERAL SUMMARY (Verse 4)
    Who shall doubt "the secret hid
    Under Cheops' pyramid"
    Was that the contractor did
    Cheops out of several millions?
    Or that Joseph's sudden rise
    To Comptroller of Supplies
    Was a fraud of monstrous size
    On King Pharaoh's swart Civilians?
    R. Kipling
  • Well I have to confess I failed!

Should never have attempted it without enough training. Cramp at nine miles. Can hardly walk today.

Congratulations to everyone who finished. Thanks to all the runners who encouraged me on most of the way round, offered help when I was cramping and thanks to the chap who TOLD me to stop.

ALso a big thank you to everyone involved in the organisation. I will be back next year... and I will finish it.
  • Unlucky, PM - everyone knows how you must have felt. IMHO reaching mile 9 means that you were fit enough but that you went too hard at the start. Pace judgement is difficult in any long race but when the race starts on a hill and gets worse with every mile ....

If this thing does have 3000 ft of ascent then it can be imagined in section as a regular ramp 3000ft high and 6.5 miles (34,000ft) long, which we run up then down; that's a gradient of about 1 in 11 or 9%. The grass hill at the Start is steeper than that, but not a lot steeper. If we saw something like that stretching away six miles into the distance most of us would consider walking up it, wouldn't we? And running down wouldn't be restful either.

Perhaps it's easier to imagine running up the stairs in Epsom's McAffrey Tower (4 times the height of Canary Wharf) and getting a helicopter to hospital from the top.
  • Just realised that the Fearless Forumites came second in the team race, congratulations team mates, fantastic result. So who's up for reforming the team for next years race? Oh and yes, I might well have been heard to say on Saturday evening that I would never do this again but I must have been suffering from the heat when I said that! Now I've recovered and the good old selective memory has kicked in I'm up for trying this one again if they haven't locked me up in the padded cell :o)
  • That's bouncing back like a goldfish, Steve. The Fearless Forumites will run again!

You may be looking at mistaken results - When I first looked this afternoon my time was shown as around 2:30:00; this was a mistake, should have been 3:11:47. Rob has corrected this and re-published.
  • I woke up yesterday and my thighs were in agony. Then woke up this morning and they were fine, but my calves are stiff as boards.

Still, at least the "intimate gentlemen's chafing" has stopped being sore...
  • Congratulations on making it round with the cracked rib Alex, truly heroic performance - though that chafing sounds pretty grim too!!!

Brian, just had a look at the revised results and the Fearless Forumites still came second in the team results, though it was close run thing with the third place team. We're all going to have to knock an hour off our times if we're going to challenge the winning team though so I'd better start training for next years race now!
  • Well - just shows you what being fearless can do for you. I much appreciated the input of my team. with nick yellling "come on ginger" from, several miles in front of me!

Tuesday is a safe day for bouncing back like a goldfish.

I am wearing my T-shirt at work ... I realise that is wrong but I just like the fact it says "100% Tough" on the back.

Bad luck PM ... next year I predict triumph ;)
  • Oh - and the photos are hideous and hilarious all at the sme time - will have to change my pic now to remind self of step agony and ... how remarkably cheerful I look!

• GK- thats what being part of a team is all about, we all count.

As for wearing the T-shirt, I am as guilty as anyone for showing mine off, 100% tough, thats me folks :-)

So are we up for it again then gang?

"COME ON GINGER"
  • Hi team mates, I have to confess to wearing the T-shirt a couple of times too. Haven't plucked up the courage to wear the medal as well though!!!
  • I am definitely doing it next year 'cos I want one of those T-shirts!
  • PM, I understand that it's the race that counts not the shirt, of course, but Rob has surplus shirts from this year and you'd be doing him a kindness if you bought some - mm@propubs.com

I went out last night for the first run since Saturday and found that I (a) automatically started walking whenever a slope came into view, (b) started snivelling after 15 minutes. When I looked at my Garmin's navigation screen it just said "YOU'RE GOING NOWHERE, SLOW BOY."
  • If I had a Garmin that's what it would have been telling me - went to running club to do what - sprint relays - ugh. Did a warm down kinda 5 miler type thing - other girls were puzzled as to why I appeared to be going backwards - my legs knew better.

Highly up for reformation of team - shirts or not. Until then may your running be smooth and your hills be erm ... step free!

GK

• Hi all, glad to hear I'm not the only who's struggled to get back to normal running again. Got my first post-MM race Sunday and its a very flat one, it almost feels like cheating not to have any hills now!

So is anyone else doing the Surrey Slog on the 23rd, it's supposed to be quite hilly though Dr Rob would probably describe it as flat!!!
  • Hi Smashie

I'm thinking about the Surrey Slog. I did it last year and it's hilly by ordinary Earthling standards. I did Hastings that March in 1:50 - fastest I'd been for years - then Sloggo in July in 2:20. That's the sort of differential that they promise you.

The course criss-crosses a hill comparable with Box Hill in height but I don't remember anything especially steep. It was all long steady forest track climbs, nothing savage, and one very nice view to the South from the top.

Having been to hell on The Doc's Ladder of Doom you'll stroll the Slog. Might see you there.