Platelet Donation ?

After around 5 dozen blood donations I've suddenly been asked by the Blood Service to consider Platelet Donation.
I did wonder why they ask me now after many years on the register.
I am going to send the form off this afternoon to register an interest.
Anyone any experience or knowledge of the subject to tell me what I'm letting myself in for? At my age (47) I thought I might be a bit on the mature side for them

Comments

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    probably means you have a good platelet count suitable for plateletpheresis..........and if they have sufficent other O or A group whole blood donors they can use those with good platelet counts to just donate platelets........

you are connected up to a machine which will extract the platelets and return the rest of your blood components to you so you will need to attend the blood donation centre where they do this - but you can give every 4-6 weeks so extra brownie donation points!!..........

I think you can be platelet donor up to 60
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    should have said - each donation can take up to 90 minutes so you need to ensure you can spare the time to travel and do the donation.............I think you can claim expenses though (check!) but they prefer it of you can do it free........
  • Please do it!

my #2 son very nearly needed a platelet transfusion after he was born, so it's a really really important thing to do if you can :o)
  • I did platelet donation every alternate Wednesday for two years! It takes about an hour and you are plugged into a machine that centrifuges your blood to remove the white cells and you get the red ones back. Hence why you can do it frequently.

I used to go to the blood clinic at Lewisham Hospital and only stopped because they closed it down. Crazy.

I've also done donations for babies and specific medical cases.

If you can spare the time then it is nothing to be scared of.

Go for it!

• Deffo do it!

I was given a blood transfusion when I was about 4 or 5 that didn't definitivly save my life but certainly made it more comfy! After taht I had major surgery at 6 that totally changed the quality of my life - again impossible without blood donors.

The sad thing is that I have tried to give blood on three or four occasions and tehy won't take mine (I had to have teh operation for a blood disorder and so my blood isn't good enough!). Anyone who is fit and healthy should give blood as often as they can (I know you were talking about Platelet donation but it's an important issue, I promise to stop ranting now!)

• Well I posted the form this morning,thanks for the info -I am persuaded, particularly after a nice evening watching Lancs beat derbys in the 20/20 match.
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Yes, definitely do it! I used to give plasma (before they stopped it) but was asked to do platelets a few times because I matched up with someone in need. Made you feel like you really had helped someone. Used to take me about an hour but I believe chaps tend to take longer, hence the hour and a half mentioned above. It takes place at special clinics as they have the centrifuge machinery necessary. And yes, you get lots more points!!

I've amassed 258 donations mostly from plasma! Latest one was this morning!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I tried to give blood but was told I don't weigh enough. Apparently the minimum weight is 7st12lb and I'm a stone less than that. It seems ridiculous as I'm extremely fit and healthy.

I wonder whether I would be eligible to donate platelets? (Not at the moment, as I'm pregnant, but just curious as to whether the same restrictions apply as for donating blood).